iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheap Chainsaw Bars...anywhere?

Started by ReggieT, May 09, 2017, 03:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Hey guys,

I've noticed significant markdowns on chainsaws, chaps, files, chains, etc, etc, yet I rarely see major markdowns or any particular brand of bars marketed on the super economical end.
What do you all use for economical bar replacements?
The best prices I've seen have been the Forester Bars over all, perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places.
Maybe it's something in the water, but the bar prices seem to be going through the roof...I guess it goes with the territory as well. ::)

Thanks
Reg

Stoneyacrefarm

Baileys has cheap bars.
Woodsman or woods pro line.
But I'm gonna warn you.
They are cheap.
Don't pinch your bar or you will bend it.
They are very thin.
I found its best to just buy the good ones and run them.
You'll spend less time messing with the good ones.  :)
Work hard. Be rewarded.

ReggieT

Thanks, looking for bars to slap on fixer-up saws that I resale.

Stoneyacrefarm

They are called woodland pro.
I looked at it again last night.
If that's all you're doing with them then they should work fine for you.
Good luck.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

bladerunner

i found ebay to be the cheapest

i was browsing for a new chain, then saw some cheap bar & chain combos

18" bar and chain, by-link i think they call it, 3/8 .058, was only $45 dollars [aussie] delivered

yamaracer

ok so what is a good bar?
i see there are 20" stihls that go for $140, is there a decent one somewhere in the middle?

HolmenTree

Quote from: yamaracer on May 10, 2017, 09:02:57 PM
ok so what is a good bar?
i see there are 20" stihls that go for $140, is there a decent one somewhere in the middle?
Oregon PowerMatch or Carlton (former Windsor Speed Tip).
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ReggieT

Well fellers I did ferret out these lil jewels: 8)

Hey Studs,

Listen, Baileys is running a close out on Carlton 18" Timber Champ Tiger Chainsaw Bars (.375" x .058") 68 Drive Links.
I could use some cheap bars to slam on power-head only saws that I buy & flip.
Yet, there are some foreseeable issues which include these:
1. They don't fit Stihl...I mainly deal with Stihl saws.
2. Is there an bar adapter to fit Stihl mount?
3. If so how much for the cheapest adapters?
4. I would need .058 chain & .058 sprocket correct?
5. Cost association of new chain & new sprockets???D009 to D025 problems?
Just trying to get some expert advice...but the bars are $3.00 each! :o :o

Is it worth it & what are you guys experience with .375" x .058" bars & chain?
Is there anyway to circumvent around this?

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Bars/Discontinued/Discontinued/Carlton-18-Timber-Champ-Tiger-Chainsaw-Bar-375-x-058-68-Drive-Links.axd

Also this right here: #BOOM  026-66 are all D025/3003 mount. look thru here, these are all D025 mount. https://performanceoutdoorequipment.com/collections/bars/D025?page=1
Thanks,

Reg

ReggieT

Is there a bar adapter that will allow me to run these .058 bar/chain on my Stihl saws without machining them out?

sawguy21

No. You need to either machine them out or install smaller studs on the saws. There are adapters to install the Stihl mount bars on Husky, Jred, Dolmar, but not the other way around.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 26, 2017, 12:11:27 PM
No. You need to either machine them out or install smaller studs on the saws. There are adapters to install the Stihl mount bars on Husky, Jred, Dolmar, but not the other way around.
Roy, you can only enlarge the Husky mount bars to fit a 3003 mount  Stihl.
Last I looked if you put smaller diameter collared studs on a Stihl the side tensioner won't clear the narrower bar slot.

Dixon700

I've always had stihl rollomatic bars last a long time.
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

HolmenTree

Quote from: Dixon700 on May 27, 2017, 12:44:13 PM
I've always had stihl rollomatic bars last a long time.
Yes I agree, I have a 25 year old 28" ES bar with tons of hours on it and is still in great shape. Sprocket nose is still to pitch.
But here in Canada Stihl bars under 25" are rebadged Oregon made right here in Canada.

Al_Smith

I think you can get good mileage out of about any bar if you don't tighten up like a banjo string ,don't get the idea to cut the rakers down so far it bounces in the cut and don't get stingy with the oil like it's going to drive you to the poor house in cost .

Dixon700

I normally always max out the oiler on my saws and just top off the oil every time I fuel up. I do the know if I'd ever get a Forester brand bar. My grandpa runs them on his stihl ms330. I'm not sure if it's something he does, but the rails seem to wear quickly and uneven.  I'll just stick with the rollomatic bars and stihl chains. I've had good luck so I'll stick with them.

Al_Smith

Well yes you hit the key word,oil .Some of these people complain the oiler puts out too much oil .What pray tell do they think keeps the thing running,fairy dust? Bar oil is bar oil ,doesn't make a hill of beans who makes it .It's just oil with a tacking agent .You can get TSC which works as good as Stihl or Husqvarna ,depending on how much money you want to spend .BTW I never had a problem with Forester bars .--Grumpy old Al ,tells it like it is  8)

HolmenTree

Turning up the oiler defeats the purpose of extra lubrication protection,   if the tank runs dry before running out of fuel.

Al_Smith

They will normally drain out at the same rate ,at least mine do .Then again I don't own any "new" saws .How the newer ones are I have not a clue .

Dixon700

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 03, 2017, 10:25:30 PM
Well yes you hit the key word,oil .Some of these people complain the oiler puts out too much oil .What pray tell do they think keeps the thing running,fairy dust? Bar oil is bar oil ,doesn't make a hill of beans who makes it .It's just oil with a tacking agent .You can get TSC which works as good as Stihl or Husqvarna ,depending on how much money you want to spend .BTW I never had a problem with Forester bars .--Grumpy old Al ,tells it like it is  8)
Must be something my Grandpa does.... Then again he uses a Dremel to sharpen the chain and the one time I used it the teeth weren't even close to being even.

Even with the oiler set to the highest setting it always runs out of fuel first. At least the stihls I've owned.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Dixon700 on June 05, 2017, 12:17:27 PM

Even with the oiler set to the highest setting it always runs out of fuel first. At least the stihls I've owned.
I can see now maybe I made a statement that doesn't apply to everyone....about a saw's oiler set to max adjustment and running out of oil before running out of fuel.

I take my years of experience of the fact along with years of working alongside other fallers logging on piecework rate 8 hrs a day 5 days a week.
When your sawchain, carb adjustment and work habits are fine tuned for the best efficiency....
Yes the oil tank at max output will run dry before the fuel tank.

Dixon700

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 05, 2017, 12:39:24 PM
Quote from: Dixon700 on June 05, 2017, 12:17:27 PM

I can see now maybe I made a statement that doesn't apply to everyone....about a saw's oiler set to max adjustment and running out of oil before running out of fuel.

I take my years of experience of the fact along with years of working alongside other fallers logging on piecework rate 8 hrs a day 5 days a week.
When your sawchain, carb adjustment and work habits are fine tuned for the best efficiency....
Yes the oil tank at max output will run dry before the fuel tank.
My oiler may not put out enough. My ms460 isn't really set for efficiency. If there is enough trees already fell it's pretty much wide open to rip through the trees, then out of fuel in about 15-20 min. The saw is a little thirsty, but say a triaxle load of logs is laying there it can put a heck of a hurting on that pile in a tankful, and I'm also doing all I can to keep up... Maybe my aftermarket pump isn't high enough output?

Al_Smith

Well my Stihls don't run out of oil before they need gas .Keep in mind the oilers are untouched factory original . Some are souped up,some are not .
In reading old tech specs I think it said most have about 40 minutes of fuel per tank .Of course it would stand to reason if the engine were hopped up they would use more fuel .

Now i don't know if you would run thinned or veggy  oil if it would use more or not.I'm old school  thick oil the kind they refine from crude oil .< see I never once mentioned the great oil wars ,nice guy Al  8)

HolmenTree

I'm referring back in the day 630Jonsered, 034, 044, 064 Stihl which we used only summer or winter weight petroleum bar oil.
Felling , limbing and topping medium spruce/pine.
The 630Jonsered and Stihl 064 gave the best fuel economy  up to 1 hour a tank.

Sharp chain, WOT sweet spot and chain always touched up.
Just a slightly dull chain greatly hurts fuel economy and production. :)

HolmenTree

Limbing especially in conifer uses up alot of bar oil. High rpm but not under heavy load.

Al_Smith

We got off on oil,typical  :D.To the original question ,you can adapt Stihl mount bars to about anything but anything else you have to modify the bar .I've got a 36" Stihl mount,size for 066  on a Homelite 2100S and have had no problems .I also have an 066 mount size resized to fit an 084 Stihl,42" .404 ,no problems .It was cheap,came out of Myrtle Creek Oregon .

Thank You Sponsors!