iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM Lap sider?

Started by OlJarhead, May 09, 2017, 10:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Thinking of picking up a lap siding attachment.  I've had a couple customers ask about doing lap siding and for the cost I'm thinking it might be worth it.

Thoughts?
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

PC-Urban-Sawyer

An ARKY Resaw jig (see https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,11160.msg154508.html#msg154508 would make lap siding and would be very economical and cost effective...

WLC

Here is another option for you to at least look at.  http://bevelsider.aksawmill.com/wp/

And a youtube video of it in action: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ7lHfRUPkM
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

OlJarhead

Twice the cost of the WM option though

GAB

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 09, 2017, 01:17:26 PM
Twice the cost of the WM option though

I watched the video and was upset that they stopped where they did.
To me the left over, or bottom piece, using the SLR is very thick especially when cutting shingles.
I was hoping in the video that they would go as far down as they could.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

I have a WM SLR, but haven't used it yet!

I've read in the manual that the bottom piece will be 2" thick

I'm planning on using the SLR later this Summer to cut lap siding for the siding on my front porch!

Small project and good place to play with the "learning curve"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Erik,

Be sure to verify the specs to ensure it will do what you need. If I remember correctly 12' is the max length and you have to cut the cants first then load them separately so think about how are you going to do that. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Quote from: Chuck White on May 09, 2017, 04:11:35 PM

I'm planning on using the SLR later this Summer to cut lap siding for the siding on my front porch!

Mr. White:
I have used mine and the block clamps when you hit one with the blade it is just like hitting a log stop.  That blade is done for the day.
If you start at the top of you block, and depending on the thickness of your material, the last piece could be thicker than 2".
I did not find it in the directions but you need to use two different thickness drops when cutting tapered material.  In my case I was using 5/32" and 17/32".
Good luck and I do suggest you not be in a hurry and get lots of patience at the pharmacy.
Gerald
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

78NHTFY

Oljarhead...my 2 cents + pics
Got some good advice here on clapboards last year & happy to share my results (have a manual LT40).  I cut about 40 beveled claps 3/8" thick at bottom from 6 1/2" cants, all from white pine.  Just used a U-shaped iron shim on each end while cutting: shim, cut, loosen log clamp, remove shims, tighten log clamp, cut.....  Took awhile and managed 10 - 15 claps per cant.  Then, (I think it was recommendation of T.Rogers), simply cut non-tapered 3/8" claps: dropped blade 1/2" each time and cut.  Why?  Much faster and easier.  The real benefit, as you can see in the pics below, virtually no wibble wobbles in the non-tapered 3/8" claps.  I stickered both sets of claps and air dried for 4 months.  The tapered claps cannot be pressed down on the tapered edge with stickers, whereas the non-tapered claps can be.  Probably lost 25 - 30% of the tapered  claps to the wibble wobbles.  I will be using the straight claps on my house (new addition) and the good tapered ones will be used to replace old claps on another building.  The finish on all claps is rough sawn, so I used my random orbital sander to smooth the face surface (too much work!) to match the existing building.  When I make more, I will add 1/16" to the cut thickness and run the claps through my planer for a smooth finish.  Moral of the story?  Spend zero money on an attachment.  You make a better product and it's faster/easier.  And your customer be happier as he will have fewer losses after they are stickered & dry.  This is just my experience with white pine.  Other wood may be different.  My bro who's a builder says the non-tapered claps can also be nailed above the 4" line which hides nails & makes for a better look.  And, almost forgot, you end up with a 1" board at the bottom, good for a trim board.  8)All the best, Rob.

.  Side view = nice and flat.  ;D

; claps are stained brown; used old left over semi transparent stain for the back.

the tapered clapboards: many are badly warped.   
If you have time, you win....

porcupine

Quote from: GAB on May 09, 2017, 07:34:04 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on May 09, 2017, 04:11:35 PM

Mr. White:
I have used mine and the block clamps when you hit one with the blade it is just like hitting a log stop.  That blade is done for the day.
If you start at the top of you block, and depending on the thickness of your material, the last piece could be thicker than 2".
I did not find it in the directions but you need to use two different thickness drops when cutting tapered material.  In my case I was using 5/32" and 17/32".
Good luck and I do suggest you not be in a hurry and get lots of patience at the pharmacy.
Gerald
Gerald
I have had mine (SLR) for 4 years, used it once...I agree with Gerald but would add - count to 10 before you start getting upset on how it use it effectively.
It's leaning up against the wall in the mill house taunting me. "Want to try round 2?"
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

OlJarhead

Hmmmm....first take is 'not now'.

Second is 'use them green' -- then no problem with the issue of stickering ;)  Just cut them over and account for shrinkage.

But I like just making them thinner and that's what I've done with live edge siding.

paul case

I wonder why you couldnt clamp something like a wedge to the toe roller and tilt the cant and let it down flat with that. The roller misses by like 3/8 on a cant anyway. It might be a little difficult to stop in the same spot every time but I bet you could get real good at it.

Just thinkin out loud again!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Dave Shepard

I've been using full thickness clapboards like a Dutch barn. Looks great, easy to saw. Couldn't find the pic.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

I have used mine to make 6" clapboard with it. I make the cants ahead, then put them on. Start down till I get an inch to the pith, then flip it come down till I get to 2" and stop. I have a 2x6 with the pith. When I cut them with the pith in them, I find they make good wood to start the wood stove.  ;D 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red

I had one and it was difficult to move. To heavy for just me .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Kbeitz

Something like that looks so easy to build. I would tale a length of 8"
channel iron and make center pivots. Then drill screw holes to screw
the log fast to it. Hook a 12volt actuator to it to flip from side to side.
Ready to go...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Darrel

I have one and have used it.  More work than it is worth. It may be ok for shingles haven't tried that yet.

Making tapered siding is much easier without the SLR. in 9 easy steps.

1. Make cant of appropriate size.
2. Raise cant with toe boards.
3. Place 1/2" shim under outboard edge of cant
4. Lower head 3/8"
5. Make cut
6. Remove shim
7. Lower head 7/8"
8. Make cut
9. Repeat

Note, you can use different size shims and different thickness of head drops to meet your needs.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Chuck White

Couldn't tell from the pics or videos, but wondering, when they're being nailed on, which side of the clap-board do you put against the building, the 90° edge or the other edge?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodweasel

Got a brand new wm lapsider leaning against the wall in my shop, as well as a lathe mizer  still on a pallet. One day I will try them out. ;D ;D

petefrom bearswamp

Chuck if memory serves you have had that thing since 2011.
Before that I had it since 2001 I never used it.
It came with the mill you now have.
Never had a call for tapered lap siding only Adirondack also known as brainstorm siding.
I like the 3/8 idea if I ever get an order.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

red

Like most things , when all else fails read the directions.  Woodmizer had sent me a pdf file of the instructions.  Then everything just fell into place.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

campwags

I have the Timber King lap siding jig and have yet to use it.  I was told at an open house how some guys just place a long piece of wood under one edge and make a cut then remove the stick and make the next cut.   ???

Life is for Living, Loving and Laughing; Not Crying and Complaining!

TK 2000, Woodmaster 718, Kioti DK65s w/Farmi JL501, Kioti NX4510 and a Kubota KX 41-3 excavator, Japa firewood processor and an assortment of trailers, solar kiln and out buildings.

Chuck White

Sounds good Pete!

Still hanging on the wall in the back of my garage!

Thank You Sponsors!