iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which trees for a log bed?

Started by ChugiakTinkerer, January 01, 2018, 01:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Um... Pics of your trees wouldn't be very productive in identifying ChugiakTinkerer's trees.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

starmac

Ha Ha, no they wouldn't. I thought you were responding to my description of our various trees. We are kind of lucky here as we don't have too many to identify, but it would be nice if we had access to some different varieties too.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

ChugiakTinkerer

Mea culpa!  I got out to the property but we were busy digging out.  That's my lame excuse for no pictures, and I'm sticking to it.

I did get a picture of my better half wielding a shovel.

Woodland Mills HM130

ChugiakTinkerer

Following up on my tree identification out at our cabin property, I have some pictures that show pretty clearly that my trees are assuredly not birch.  I'm referencing the USFS text on Common Trees of Alaska.

Here's a shot of two trees in my neighborhood.  I am confident the tree on the left is a paper birch (betula neoalaskana).  The tree on the right looks way too dark to be a birch.

And here's a view of the trees on my property.  The bark has a definite green cast to it and seems to be a perfect fit for quaking aspen (populus tremuloides).  Note that the tree on the left is covered in frost and isn't as white as it appears in the photo.

I contemplated digging through the snow and seeing if I could find some leaves to help with the identification.  But looking at how deep the snow was I thought what's the hurry?  So I went and sighted in my .223 instead so the next time I see a caribou I'll be able to fill my tag.  The tree will confirm its identity in due time.

Woodland Mills HM130

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

starmac

That is what some here call aspen, others call it popple.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!