iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help ID bird by sound ?

Started by sprucebunny, May 09, 2017, 08:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Whip-poor-wills are common here but this bird gets up even earlier... when the very first hint of light comes to the sky. The sound is complicated with 2-3 different sounds going. One is a repeated click and another is a whoop. I only hear it in the morning at about 3:30. Don't hear it any other time.

I've been around the web and listened to all sorts of nightjars ( the whippoorwill family) and nighthawks. I don't know what family to try next... it doesn't sound like any owl I've ever heard.

Got any ideas ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

red

You should be able to record it and maybe an app to identity the noise ? I'll ask a friend who does it .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Chuck White

Sounds like it could be a Mud Hen or a Heron!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

Cornell has an online bird call library.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JJ

sprucebunny

Thanks for the ideas. I've listened to a lot of things at that Cornell website but nothing combines the clicking with a call. Also the habitats are a little off.

Haven't figured out how to record it. I'll try to rise to a more alert state of mind when it starts up at 3:30 tomorrow morning  :)

Ljohnsaw

We had a mocking bird that would go at it on full moon or near full moon nights.  He had about 5 or 6 songs.  From what I read, he will pickup whatever is in the area and try to impress a female with his repertoire.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Mooseherder

Does it sound like a Chucks Wills Widow?
I recorded this one 2008.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh4Vxz9Z6qo

sprucebunny

Might be a yellow billed cuckoo...I didn't know we had this bird in New England.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Yellow-billed_Cuckoo/id

But the sound isn't quite right. I didn't hear it this morning, just the whippoorwills. Guess I'm giving up until I hear it again.

The clicking noise is like some of the rails make but nothing seems to make the clicking noise and a whoop all at once. Wrong habitat and location for rails.

DelawhereJoe

Have you listened to the noise of a woodcock ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

ToddsPoint

Barred owls can make a wide range of strange sounds.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

sprucebunny

Yes, I listened to the woodcock, barred owl ( northern saw-whet owl was more similar) and bear noises.
None of them have the clicking noise like a rail makes.

I haven't heard it again so I have to guess it was something that was migrating and stopped to visit the wooded vernal pool across the road.

SwampDonkey

Are you near marsh, and possibly an American bittern?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!