iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM 1998 Setworks

Started by Magicman, May 08, 2017, 01:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Of course this Setworks has be manufacture discontinued for many years and parts are no longer available.  My display died in 2010 and new displays were still available at that time so I replaced the old display.

Well, while I was sawing Saturday the display started showing gibberish and then went blank.  Setworks still works and still responds accurately to the 4 buttons but the display unit apparently is gone.  I unplugged/replugged and all of that stuff.

So what to do?  Maybe someone that has changed their Setworks to Accuset still has their old display or if not, my next move will be to upgrade mine to Accuset II.  I realize that it is inevitable that it will eventually happen, but ~$2500 is hard to spend if there is an alternative.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

MM, open it up and give us a pic of the actual display.  It may be a common LCD display module that is cheap and easy to replace.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Delawhere Jack

I'm with GMM on that. Find a part number on the display and do an Internet search.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/optoelectronics/display-modules-lcd-oled-character-and-numeric/99?k=LCD%20display

954 results. And then there is eBay.

Magicman

Thanks guys.  I may have a fish nibbling at my cricket already.  I should know this week.   ;D

Here is a LINK to the topic where I did the replacement in 2010.  Paul, the display is shown at the top of the first picture.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

Hope you can reel him in...that display may be hard to find.  The white sticker on it probably has the manufacturer and part number.

If your fish throws the hook (sorry, I had to keep it going ::)), give me the dimensions of the board and the mounting hole spacing.  I may have a display that we could make work.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

barbender

MM, I also have the old setworks. Mine currently has an encoder issue, it's either the encoder itself or the plug in on the back of the display (which I suspect it is). The new encoder and cable was almost $600, and while it's still available, it's kind of a hard pill to swallow, since the rest of the system is not supported. I still want to fix it, I just haven't had the time. I did get a kick out of your "fish nibbling at my cricket" statement, that has to be an "old saying"?
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

I replaced the encoder last year so this baby has no choice but to keep on working.  Not is not an option.   :-X

barbender

My setworks has always had some accuracy issues, that I was just finally getting resolved when this new problem reared it's head. Thus, I am somewhat hesitant to put any money into it, being that it wasn't working well in the first place.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

I have a '98 WM Setworks.  That would be of no use to me whatsoever.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

I know, and I guess that my response sounded sharp.  Please accept my apology.   :)

LeeB

Following this. My display is also about to give up the ghost. Already replaced it once. Can't remember how much it was then.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

I have another display on the way.  Well sorta.   ;D

Ga Mtn Man

Does the display happen  to have a  2   on the front panel? :) 

Magicman

I wish, but with the FF there are rabbits in the hat sometime.   ;D

Ga Mtn Man

You're gonna make us wait for the pics, aren't you?  You are a very bad man.

barbender

Well, through all of this, one of three of us should end up with a working original Setworks :) We  could have just drew straws, the lucky man gets the other's components  ;D

Magicman

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on May 10, 2017, 04:35:04 PM
You're gonna make us wait for the pics, aren't you?  You are a very bad man.
Yes, I am a bad man.   :)

Although the new display showed MD and not available from Wood-Mizer, I contacted Sparks and he did some investigating.  He found two displays in stock but not tested or packaged for sale.  Yup, after the necessary bench testing and packaging I received my new display today.

Out with the old and in with the new.

Yeah, I am back in business, but this is the last time for this Setworks.  Because of this topic, the other new display was also sold so there is nothing in stock to repair this unit again.  I was offered a removed Setworks which could be an option in the future, or not, because it could be gone by then.

Anyway, my Thanks to Sparks!

grouch

The only thing I can make out on the back of the LCD is EDT 20-20033-2 Rev. C. It looks like there is a white sticker with more writing, but I can't read it.

There could be later but still compatible displays being made.
Find something to do that interests you.

Magicman

I'm sure that Accuset 2 will be the next modification to go on this sawmill, but for now $100 was much easier to spend than $2500.   ;D

LeeB

I think I know where the display ended up but I won't be able to be sure until I get back from work this time.   ;)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

I'm sure that it is there Lee.   :)

I am just hoping that the display was my problem and not something else, but at least it is now working.  I will do whatever it takes to keep my sawmill running. 

grouch

QuoteI will do whatever it takes to keep my sawmill running. 

Showing closeups of the front and back of those 2 printed circuit boards may help.

I found several 4x20 LCDs in a quick search but don't know if they are pin- or signal- compatible with yours.
Find something to do that interests you.

Peter Drouin

It's good your up and running, Now back to work. :D :D :D :D 8) 8) ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!