iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What you do with this white pine?

Started by btulloh, May 08, 2017, 09:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Sawed this out of one my frequent blow-down WP trees.  These are 10/4 x 15 and I'm leaving the center piece 5x15.  I was thinking I'd make paneling with all this WP, since it's not really good for much. (The WP I have is plantation grown, planted 50 years ago.  Fast grown, low density.)

I had thought I'd make shiplap paneling out it for use in a cabin or shop building, but it doesn't plane or machine well.  I'm just sawing this stuff up, because . . . well ... why not?  I hate to just throw it on the pile to rot.

Maybe I'll make a rustic bench out of some this, but that's about all I can come up with.  This stuff doesn't take weather well, so it needs to use in a protected area.

Any thoughts or ideas on a good use for this stuff?

HM126

SineWave

I dunno, maybe sell it to a cabinetmaker? Looks nice and clear to me...could be good for shelving or cabinetry or any number of things.

Why won't it "plane or machine well"? Can't say as I ever came across any WP that didn't...

btulloh

This stuff is low-density and soft.  It tends to be fuzzy when planed, even with a byrd head.  WP is not native to this area and seems to grow too fast.  This tree was 50 years old and 22" dbh.
HM126

btulloh

SineWave, I just noticed you're located somewhere near me in VA.  Do have any local WP?  Maybe you've had some different experience with it.  I'm about 10 miles west of Richmond.  If you're in the area, I'll give you some this WP to play with.
HM126

SineWave

Thanks for the offer, BTulloh, but I'm way over on the Eastern Shore. I haven't messed with any local WP, but you're right – it sure does grow fast here. We transplanted one about 17 years ago that at the time was the size of a small Christmas tree, and now it's close to 20" DBH and probably 30' tall or more. I imagine those growth rings are HUGE.

It seems like the WP grow real fast here, and then die right around 20 years old or so. We lost two in the yard a few years back, they both were just a little larger than the one I mentioned above...uh-oh...guess I'd better get my bandmil built.

nativewolf

makes fine barn siding, try Qsawing the next one and see if that helps the machinability factor.  Some of the NE blokes would have to jump in but I think it is fairly fast growing even in PA MI etc if it has a good site.  To me 50 years and 22"DBH is...not so awfully fast, ie I don't think it is too bad. 

What say FF from White Pine world.  There is actually really pretty WP if you head west on highway 60 from Amherst over to I81.  Some of that goes for pallet cants. 
Liking Walnut

btulloh

SineWave:  I always enjoy going over to the Eastern Shore, on the occasions I do manage to get over there.  We're in different worlds for sure.  I used to overnight occasionally at Onancock back in my sailing days, but it's unusual to be just passing by.  How are the crabs over your way this year?

Those WP in your yard are just one of the many reasons you need to go ahead and build your bandmill. 

Nativewolf:  I used some for siding on one side of my little sawmill shed.  Seems to work pretty good, but I don't know how it will do long term compared to the VA pine.  I even have some scotch pine siding on two sides of the mill shack.  It's very similar in characteristics to the WP except for the color.

I see a lot of the northeast people using EWP for building purposes and what not.  I know it was a favorite for windsor chair seats too.  I'd to to try some from the colder areas to compare sometime.

Qsawing should help the planing issue.  Probably would be prone to splitting though if you were nailing it.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of feedback I get on this.  The WP I have is less dense than those SPF studs they sell at the orange store or the blue store.  And that's saying something.
HM126

nativewolf

lots of paneling made from WP.  All the knotty pine paneling that used to be a favorite is typically WP.  Good luck with the project and if the NE guys chime the southern boys will learn something. 
Liking Walnut

samandothers

I am thinking about cutting some for siding.  Nail or screw in a s board and batten then coat.

Don P

I'm a little west of Galax up in the Blue Ridge, our EWP is quite fast growing here as well. I ordered some T&G for the porch ceiling on one job and it came from NH. I ran out and went over to a local mill to pick up more, nailed up some and as we sat there having lunch I realized it needed to come down and I needed to go back and order it from up north. Same species but strikingly different appearance. The knot whorls were about 18" apart vs 2-3' and much tighter ringed. That said I like to use ours and use quite a bit. My barn and shop are sided in it, the shop is entirely ewp, it disappears from here pretty fast whenever I saw it, either I use it or someone needs it. I treat it as a utility wood, it is light, stable, easy to dry, accepts fasteners well, glues well. It isn't high art but most of what I do isn't meant to last the ages.
Some things that pop to mind from the last year or two, bee boxes, planting trays, mason jar crates, plant shelves, paneling, chicken coops, temp flooring, sheathing, siding, window parts, utility buildings, form boards, templates.

tmbrcruiser

I cut some white pine into 24/4" x 12" for a friend to use carving goose bodies. Had a few cuts left over and was using them to hold down tin over stacks of lumber. A local farmer stopped for some cribbing to use in his shop, saw the white pine and liked it because it as much lighter than the oak cribbing he had. Not sure how well it will hold up but haven't heard any complaints yet.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

btulloh

Interesting and informative replies.  That comparison between the NE EWP and the Blue Ridge EWP is very useful.  I'll have to give it a better chance.  I think I'll saw up the rest of the logs into 1x and 2x stuff for general use.  I will say that the siding I put up is doing well so far.  One good thing about those whorls is the knots are pretty soft and seem to remain sound even though they're big and plentiful.

I might try making a couple Jim Rodgers style saw horses with some of the side lumber.  Lightweight sawhorses would be nice if the still hold up ok.

These older WP here tend to blow down pretty frequently, so I always have a supply.  It's one of the reasons I got the sawmill in the first place, 'cause I was tired of just watching 20 inch trees just rot away on the ground.  They are really hard to clean up with all the big long limbs, so at least I get paid back for my work with lumber.

Thanks for the responses.

BT
HM126

ButchC

I am certainly no expert but less than a week after I got my sawmill we had a huge white pine blow down in the yard. Since it is next to worthless for firewood I sawed it instead of throwing it in a brush fire. About half of it is in 1x6 lumber for barn siding and the other half I sawed 1 3/4 x 3 3/4 hoping for standard 2x4 dimensions when dry to save having to plane it. That was about 2 months ago and it seems to be drying fast in the stacks going only by picking it up, it is VERY light. No warping or cracking troubles so far. Wife had me save the bottom slabs off the Peterson, said they will make nice looking benches, more work :-\

Got two more 30" by 10 WP logs this week delivered to my place  FOC. Amazing how many offers for free logs I have gotten since word got around that I have a mill.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Thank You Sponsors!