iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GFI issue

Started by Raider Bill, May 08, 2017, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

A week ago one of my GFI's started tripping. All that is on this circuit is my beer box. There are 5 outlets but nothing except the refrig was plugged in.

I swapped out the GFI and installed a mechanical ground but it still tripped. I opened the breaker box, checked all the connections for tightness including grounds, common and feed didn't find anything loose. Still tripped.
I replaced the other 5 receptacles, still tripped.

Wire is in metal conduit, never an issue before.

Any ideas?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Does the GFI trip when the refrigerator is not plugged in to this circuit? ie, when there is no load attached to the circuit at all???

Ljohnsaw

I have a light and fan in my shower stall on a GFI.  When the conditions are right (very cold and damp - raining), my hot shower produces a LOT of steam.  That trips the GFI.  Also, if I sloppily hit the two switches and they toggle on/off/on very quickly, that trips the GFI.  Perhaps there is some moisture in or around the electrical connections?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Raider Bill

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on May 08, 2017, 09:41:04 AM
Does the GFI trip when the refrigerator is not plugged in to this circuit? ie, when there is no load attached to the circuit at all???

yes,
I plugged the fridge into another GFI circuit and it works fine.

rjwoelk

I would say either a short in your wireing someplace or a bad gfi.  Had one that trip all the time back in the 80's replaced no problems after that. We have 5 in my sons cabin no issues. That said you have tried the applance in a different circit and it is ok. So change the GFI and see.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

JJ

Replace the breaker in panel.
Resistive connection from corrosion in the breaker can trip the GFI even before your circuit becomes intermittent.

JJ

Raider Bill

Actually the first indication I had of a problem was the breaker tripping then the GFI started popping but the breaker only tripped that 1 time.

It's off to the breaker store I go, I go!

DFILER2

A GFCI works by measuring the amount of current flowing from the hot wire to the neutral wire. If this differs by 4-5 milliamps the breaker in the GFCI will trip. The problem will be with what is plugged into the outlet or an outlet connected to the load side of the GFCI. Did you make sure you connected the wires coming from the fuse panel to the "LINE" side of the GFCI? Refrigerators are known for causing this problem even after running fine for years, I believe it has something to do with the fact that the motor wears out some and that it is turning off and on. Here is a link to an article from someone with a similar problem.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/53252/why-is-gfci-tripping-on-refrigerator-circuit

Kbeitz

Using your ohm meter, check if there is continuity between your GFCI outlet's ground, and the white and black wires. If you get continuity from disconnecting the white and black wires then the problem could be that the white and black wires are touching with the bare ground.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

petefrom bearswamp

Time for a new gfi breaker
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Raider Bill

First thing I did was put the refridge on another circut with no problems, then I changed out the GFI, then all the outlets on that circut and then the breaker.
There is nothing plugged in.
I have 1 junction box I haven't opened up yet that will be this afternoon.
This was wired 13 years ago when I put the addition on my house. Never had a problem.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Of course, the cause of the problem will be in the last place you look...

After all, why should you keep looking after you get it fixed?

Good luck!

Be Careful!

Herb

DFILER2

When you say you tried the refridge on another circuit, was that circuit also GFCI protected?

Raider Bill

DFILER2

The next thing I think I would try would be to disconnect the outlets on the "load" side of the GFCI to see if that cures it.

Raider Bill

I got up in the crawl space to look at the junction box and saw another run of conduit coming out of it so I followed that to a receptical that I thought was on another circut. Opened it up and there was a bunch of corrosion so I replaced the recep, cleaned everything up. Still powered up this morning so I'm thinking that was my problem.
The lights are still on and all my soldiers are Happy, Happy, Happy!

moosehunter

I love the way you have decorated that space!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

samandothers

Good to see a balance of orange juices with the other items.

DFILER2

Glad you found the problem:)

Raider Bill

Update,

Everything was working good. Beer box cooling away.
Left a week and a half ago to go see my Daughters in Il.
Come back late last Thursday it was popped. Ran an extension cord, left for Jake's.
Back to the drawing board.

JJ

Dang
Come home and all the beer is warm 🙁

Raider Bill

Don_Papenburg

Get rid of the gfci ,Use a good electrical outlet to do the job     .  And the beer will be happier also.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Raider Bill

The problem is that this circuit also feeds the outlets on a my screened porch which when the wind blows just right during a rain gets damp..

LeeB

Do you get the same problem if you plug the box into one of those outlets?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!