The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: TRACTOR for powering Woodchipper  (Read 1655 times)

Offline snowkraft

• I'm new!
Re: TRACTOR for powering Woodchipper
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 09:54:29 am »
Yes, but is that PTO HP or tractor HP??  It is always good to get more info. A 50 HP tractor I'm sure would not work nearly as well as a 100 HP tractor. If you have a tractor with near max HP, around 100, is there anything you need to be watchful of?? What about open vs. closed system hydraulics?? Any tricks there might be to save time??    ...things like this

If you go to the lik you gave for the chipper it says in the specifications 50 to 100 hp for the 12" chipper. All the specifications are right there.

Offline snowkraft

• I'm new!
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 09:56:50 am »
What do you mean by multifunction??  ...thanks

Open center is not more efficient.  It uses more h p.and makes more heat. Closed center flows only enough oil to do the job. When no flow is needed the pump destrokes going to very little flow. If it takes 10 gpm ..   to operate one cylinder that's all it pumps if you want to use 3 at once it may pump 30. Multifunction is way better with closed center

Offline snowkraft

• I'm new!
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2017, 10:01:07 am »
Thanks for the info- interesting. I did notice tractors around Arkansas seem to be a bit cheaper. I sent a pic of a narrower orchard tractor to my farmer friend and he said I would not want one due to narrower body being harder to work on- more cramped components. What is your take??

So you are looking at a smaller MFWD.  The smaller older case MFWD, like a 7110 would have been nice but frankly they are under reporting PTO HP on the older magnums so they are likely to have 120HP at the PTO and that would be too much. 

If you want to save money look for an aesthetically nice tractor from the next RB auction in Tipton CA-best discount in the market but you need to get to CA and look at them (always fun to go to CA for something).  Or look for tractors in AL, LA, MS, Arkansas.  Often they are at a discount.  Prices in Canada seem high right now and I'm going to punt the other recommendations over to Bargemonkey and others that really watch auctions and know their stuff.  I'd like an armored orchard tractor used in the walnut/almond business from CA.  Those tractors are low, narrow, and armored up so they are good for forestry work (i hope).  You may find one of those for 20k  without the armor in Tipton (RB site is very nice and you can look up prior auction prices once you set up a free account).

Offline snowkraft

• I'm new!
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 10:12:37 am »
CLARK EQUIPMENT in Kentucky has a lot of equipment in my price range. Here are a bunch of orchard tractors:

http://www.clarkheavyequip.com/landing.htm?http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/list/category/1100?etid=1&pcid=3004840&dlr=1

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 10:53:22 am »
 I'm running a 6" chipper off my Landini it's 6o hp 58 at the pto. I don't see it being over powered. Besides all the 3pt chippers have shear pins to protect it. A 12" chipper is going to require a 100 hp tractor. The tow behind run 104 hp.
 As for tractors I'd look for one that has the fuel tank over the engine or behind the operator. Much easier to out fit the protection.
Ed K

Online TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2017, 08:13:56 am »
Snowkraft, since we are talking ski trails, we are talking hills, I would say the 4x4/front wheel assist should be mandatory.  If you didn't have the other equipment, I would highly recommend a loader, but since you do, I would leave that off the list to get a good tractor in this HP under your budget.  The 2755 we have was just purchased after a long (multi-year) search for a good low hour 90 ish HP tractor with low hours, 4x4, and a loader for under $25k (also wanted it within 3-4 hours driving range).  We paid $23 with a "low" 3800 hours on the clock and the owner threw in a 3 point blade.  We saw many more that fit the bill without a loader for a lot less, but we run a cow/calf operation and need the loader... just like everyone else around us.   :D  IE, if you don't need the loader, get a newer tractor with your budget or save yourself a few thousand.  One could be added later anyway.

As for open/closed hydraulics.  To me it is a non issue unless seconds count on a repeat operation (IE loader work).  Your PTO will work on either, as will the 3 point and hydraulic remotes.  I could say get a live PTO, but everything that fits what you want will be new enough to already have live PTO.  The only other time open/closed matters is if you are adding to the tractor hydraulics.

Nativewolf, the more I think about orchard tractors, the more I like the idea of a backhoe with a winch.  Especially something like a Case 580C or K.  It has a thought out design to survive construction sites underneath.  The 4 post cab has poly sheet inserts to enclose it in the winter (Easily replaced if damaged).  Lights are recessed.  I'm thinking a couple limb sliders over the hood and rerouted exhaust and it's about set.  The loader protects the radiator pretty good, but extra there wouldn't hurt either.  A thumb on the bucket (or grapple), trailer hitch, winch, and grapple forks on the front would be about perfect for what I'm doing.

I've seen one backhoe with a log grapple mounted in back and really liked that idea. 
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Online nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 12:46:01 pm »
Tkhel, a backhoe with a winch is an interesting idea.  4wd of course...aux hydraulics..interesting idea.

Snowkraft, that firm in KY is just showing you what tractor house will show you.  Go directly to Tractorhouse.com and that will give you the ability to do an advanced search with all kinds of options for age, sorted by distance to you, etc. 

Online TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2017, 10:18:29 pm »
Ok, I just stumbled on an awesome forestry tractor (other than the price).  A JCB IHMEE. 

Capable of 55-60 MPH, Cummins engine, and road legal. 

I think this just jumped off the screen of Mad Max!  Especially one equipped with the armor package!

By Photo: Sgt Wes Calder RLC/MOD, OGL, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=30477044
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Online nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2017, 10:22:23 pm »
does it have a pto?

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2017, 05:50:17 am »
What I have seen it don't make no difference what tractor you have the wood chipper with the pounding of chipping will destroy the PTO gears.
That's why I bought a reg. 12" chipper all self contained.
2008 LT40 super,2008 edger, Cat telahandler, JD 5410 And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline Riwaka

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2017, 06:33:15 am »
Probably an idea to put a industrial fluid coupling (there are smaller fc than the twin disc etc) between the chipper and the tractor to reduce the shock impacts of the chipper being transferred to the tractor.
The German made JDs with the frame in a small tractor should be ok if they have been looked after, but I would expect the spare parts to be a stinger cost.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/17061253/2005-john-deere-6403   (mexican, build, material quality?)
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/20188671/john-deere-6310 (loaders on tractors are useful)
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/20205721/2001-john-deere-6410  (cab protection, but tractor might have had a hard life)
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/10946565/1998-john-deere-6410  (Tires need replacing,might go for a used tractor that has easy life and add protection)

Most of those tractors should run an 8 foot or wider mower and make the trail mowing a two pass task.
Do you have a custom  fuel tank maker handy, they can usually replace the plastic tank with an ali tank
Look to see if the skid steers could load trees on forestry trailer, save dragging logs with the tractor.