iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mowing the lawn.

Started by thecfarm, May 07, 2017, 08:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Sure does smell good.  :)
The wife does most of ours. She loves to mow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Just got a wiff  myself, beautiful morning here, wife does ours now as well, doc says no mowing, so I just maintain and watch.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Don P

Just dropped a new engine in ours, a B&S 19 horse vs the throw away Kohler that came on it. Sounds good but it'll have to wait, the log deck is full  ;D.

sandhills

Wife does most of ours as well, 3rd time was Friday and we had 3" of snow on it May first, go figure  ::).  We have a JD Lt 150 which I love but after owning it for a mowing or two I can see why none of them have hoods or grills left  :D.

sawguy21

I have to get fuel so I can mow today, I best get on it or I'll need a swather and baler with all the rain we have had.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

My rider is a John Deere 1023E with a 54" mower deck!

Fun to mow with, and being diesel it's very economical to operate!

My yard is about 1 1/2 acres, excluding the house, garage and pool!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Grizzly

Yeah.......we'll just wait till June when things actually start to grow...... :(   But go ahead and enjoy your fine climates.  :)
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Texas Ranger

mowing once a week, DanG fertilizer.   :'(
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

They been mowing here, but I'm waiting at least another week. It's green but not tall. All I see is mower wheel tracks, not tall enough to cut in my opinion.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I enjoy mowing, but I HATE working on mowers.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TKehl

Ha!  I'm taking a break from mowing.  Got over most of it the first time today.  Seedheads and all.

This spring I'm going through a used 3 point mower deck on the  back of a Kubota.  Put on a new belts and freed up the spindles.  Was excited how much I'd gotten done in 90 minutes, then thought how the old rider had never gone this long without slipping a belt breaking something. 

A few minutes later, I looked back to see the nut come off one of the spindles with grease/water bubbling up through the zerk.   :(  Back to the shop again.   ::)  Was time to put on the tiller anyway.   :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Magicman

I enjoy nothing about mowing.  An acre here, 7 acres at the Cabin, and then there is the bushhogging.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

MM buy a dozer then you only have to mow 3 times a year spring summer and fall :)

Magicman

Yeah, but with Sweetgum and Black Locust how many times would I have to dozer??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

forgot you have all them weird trees down that way :)   hey maybe if you sprinkled grits around there roots it would kill them  :D :D

Magicman

Ain't wasting my Grits on no DanG Sweetgum tree!   :D

WV Sawmiller

I don't know how all you guys get the wife to mow. Please send me your secrets. Mine figures mowing and weedeating are strictly my job.

I have a White (MTD) brand from TSC with a 24 hp Koehler and a 54" deck. I am hard on it with all the exposed rocks and such I clip and I go through a lot of spindles and such. The last one I replaced I noticed the hole where the screw/bolt goes into the spindle was worn out. I had to shim it up with a couple of washers. That concerns me how long before I have to do some serious repair or replacement on it. The holes are right at a curved spot in the metal and looks to me like it will be hard to repair. We will see.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

nativewolf

Quote from: Texas Ranger on May 07, 2017, 04:38:04 PM
mowing once a week, DanG fertilizer.   :'(

Don't fertilize.  I don't get why people water and fertilize the dad gum grass.  Keeps you out of the woods.
Liking Walnut

Ox

Don't some homeowners associations force you to keep a better looking lawn?  Like if you allow a bare spot or brown spot you get fined or something.  There is no way....NO WAY.... I could ever belong to one of those associations.

My brother belongs to one.  His own fault, he wants to live like a proper yuppie.  He told me he got turned in for parking his truck on the lawn next to the driveway for a few hours to make room for guests for a birthday party.  That kind of thing would cause the rest of the neighborhood to suddenly burn down if it was done to me.  smiley_devil smiley_furious
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Raider Bill

Quote from: Ox on May 08, 2017, 01:05:33 PM
Don't some homeowners associations force you to keep a better looking lawn?  Like if you allow a bare spot or brown spot you get fined or something.  There is no way....NO WAY.... I could ever belong to one of those associations.

My brother belongs to one.  His own fault, he wants to live like a proper yuppie.  He told me he got turned in for parking his truck on the lawn next to the driveway for a few hours to make room for guests for a birthday party.  That kind of thing would cause the rest of the neighborhood to suddenly burn down if it was done to me.  smiley_devil smiley_furious

Living in a Association controlled community is a big thing to some. Me not so much.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WV Sawmiller

I'm with Ox on HOA's. Got a good friend in Tuscon who said they had a house in their community sat empty for a long time and became a crack house. New owner scraped up money to buy it. Had to pull the carpet because of drug needles. First thing the HOA did was send a nasty letter telling them they had so many days to pull the dead weeds (legitimate fire hazard) or they were going to fine them and hire it done. I told my friend why didn't the neighbors get together and have a house warming and pull the weeds to welcome them to the community. That is the way I was raised and figure the way you are supposed to treat neighbors in need.

I could not live in a place where they told me I could not fence in my front yard for the kids and dogs or plant a fruit tree forward of the front corner or how often to mow my grass and such. To each his own - I'm better off in the woods.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

21incher

Got some of mine rolled last week, but the monsoons started right after that and it is to wet to even drive on.

The whole bottom of my property is submerged now, never seen it like this before.
Put a Michigan suspension seat on my Kubota this year and it is soooo comfortable compared to the stock seat.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sawguy21

I have to look into that, the seat on ours is killing me.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

21incher,you need some rocks to mow around.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Make a smaller lawn, invest in cattle.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!