iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good tape measure, gloves, and plugs.

Started by 4x4American, May 06, 2017, 06:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

I'm in need of a good tape measure.  Broke two this week.  A Lufkin, looked pretty but turned out to be pretty flimsy.  Had a tape with the consistency of a wet noodle and it's pull back was about as powerful as a north korean bomb.

The other was a $5 cheapo that was actually pretty decent but I pulled it out to 23' (a 25' tape) and I started feeling resistance...well needless to say I'm not old enough yet to stop pulling and at 24-15/16" she let loose.  I have a Milwaukee that I really like but it's only a 16' tape and once they get to 25' I personally don't like how bulky they get. 

So do any of you have a go to tape that is good?  Kobalt pretty decent too but they don't last long around here.

Oh and howbow gloves?  The cheapo ones is what I usually use but they just don't last very long.  I'd rather spend a little more on something that would last but it seems to me that none of them last so no matter how much dough you drop on them it ain't worth it.  Unless there's a brand someone can recommend.  I had some throwaways that were leather or pigskin from a company I used to work at but I cant find them they were awesome.  They were white with red lines and I think maybe DH was on them or something.  I'd buy those again in a heart beat.

As for ear plugs, I buy in bulk the 3m classics, they are awesome (29 or 30 db noise reduction rating) and depending on how clean my ears are I can usually get at least a week out of a pair.  When I put them in I fold up the cardboard box into my pocket and it stays. Just remember to blow it out before you put the plugs back in.  Once one side gets dirty start putting them in the other way.

Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

I use only 25' x 1" Stanley.  They cost about $9.00 at HD.  Last really well and do ok measuring lumber length.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

4X4,

I like the Kobalt. I tend to break the ends off. When I do I take them back to Lowes and they replace immediately under warranty with no hassle. The magnetic tip is not a huge factor but occasionally it is handy too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dave Shepard

I buy the classic Stanley tapes. Usually 25', but also 35', and needed. I have many so that one is always close by.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Yutt, I try to keep a bunch handy.  Where'd I put my tape measure? 
Boy, back in my day..

brianb88

Stanley Fat Max 25' is what I use. They make a good tape measure and when I bought the one I still own it was made in the good ole USA.
Measure twice, cut once

Magicman

I use nothing but 1¼" wide rulers.

The 25' rule normally sells for $19.99 but Home Depot has this set each Christmas for $19.99.

Shown here being measured by a standard 1" rule.  Lowes also has a 1¼" rule, but I prefer this one.

I forgot to picture the end but it will catch the log/lumber on all 4 sides.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

OK, I took a couple of pictures of the "business" end.

I can easily stand on one end of a 12' log/board and catch the other end which may be good, but the real value is not being flimsy and breaking.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ScottAR

Stanley Fatmax or the red Lufkins.  Had good use from both.  I like the lock on the Lufkin a little better but it's not a large difference.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

4x4American

I like those big hooks mm.  The lufkin I broken had a nice big hook.  I wanna say pick me a winner, gonna give one of them a try. 

So howbow gloves eh?
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I have no problem or argument for or against another brand.  Stanley  My point was that if you want a rugged tape that will stay with you, get the 1¼".

Peter Drouin

1¼" are good and work well, Over here tapes have a hard life,  ;D
I look for cheap ones and buy them by the box If I can.
Gloves, Are from Maine Oxey, leather, $2.50 I think.
I use muffs.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

GDinMaine

Stanley Fatmax is my favorite. It is 1 1/4" wide and it supports itself on a 10-12' length. Lasts for a long time under reasonable conditions.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

paul case

These are what we use. They wear out too but when they do I am ready for a new pair if ya know what I mean.

https://www.uline.com/BL_1325/Double-Palm-Leather-Gloves

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

kelLOGg

Stanleys have held up well for me for years until I leave it where it gets caught on the return of the sawhead. Sawhead wins! ;D
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Sixacresand

My 25' tape went missing from the mill and I figured it got lost in the sawdust.  Then at Church one Sunday I went into a coughing fit.  Nancy dug into her purse for cough drops and took out my tape.   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

lirachamo51

I get the pigskin, they seem to last longer than cowhide. If any one needs left handed gloves i have plenty, always wear out the right first maybe make a swap with a lefty and get some more use out of them ::)
Randy

red

I would buy Craftsman half price on sale. But they no longer make them, they now sell Stanley .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Larry

Another happy Fat Max user but after seeing MM's promo on the DeWalt I'm going to try one.  I like the idea of a larger hook as it should make holding on a log end easier.  I wonder how many extra steps that will save?

Thanks MM. :)

I gave up buying expensive gloves.  I get a couple of six packs of the Harbor Freight gloves, usually every fall.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Cazzhrdwd

I buy the cheapest one I can, it lasts for 6 or so months, then I buy another. Gloves I like the ones that are dipped in some sort of plastic, they seem to last longest. But I hate wearing gloves anyway.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

redprospector

I like the Fat Max's. I'm not particularly in love with Stanley tapes, just 1 1/4" ones. So I may be trying the Dewalt that MM posted. But I am a firm believer that when measuring logs, nothing can really replace a Log tape.
As for gloves, none of them last long enough. I try to find a comfortable pair in the $10 to$12 range.
Huh? What'd you say? Ear plugs? I shouldn't comment on something I know so little about. All kidding aside, I do think ones hearing should be protected at all cost, or you may wind up hard of hearing like my wife's husband.  ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Bruno of NH

As far as tapes goes
Tajima are by far the best on the market
Compact and pull out past 16' or25'
The case is rubber coated
I like the white color of the rule I can see it better as I get older :)
Best brand tape I have found for my liking
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Buy  the way Dewalt and Stanley tapes are the same company
I used to buy Craftsmen tapes they would give you a new one if it broke for free
But don't do that anymore
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

ChugiakTinkerer

I was using a Stanley 25' today that I think dates back to BC times - Before Children.  The recoil is kinda weak but it holds up OK.  Considering my oldest is a freshman at college I guess that's not too bad.  It's the one with the silvery looking plastic case and a 1" tape.  Pre-dates FatMax by a while... a good long while.  I should probably get 1.25" for my next tape.
Woodland Mills HM130

Kbeitz

If I'm logging I use this. but it's to $$$ for everyday use...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

I use Kinko insulated gloves!

Insulated for the padding, because sometimes stuff happens!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SineWave

My favorite has always been the 16' Stanley, but that DeWalt "Two for $20" Christmas deal looks like the clear winner, MM...

longtime lurker

Spencer for logs, Stanley for anything else but lately I've take to buying a box of the cheapochinee ones at a time.... 10% of the price and look just as bad when someone runs a forklift or loader or drops a log on them.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

red

A homemade measuring stick , story pole or survey stick . Keep it Simple
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

DR_Buck

Have some of them all...   Lufkin, Stanley (both regular and Fatmax),  Komelon  and Cen-Tec.     My favorite for around the house and shop are the Komelon from Lowes.   They are pretty rugged and have a nice hi-vis blade that is easy to see and read.    The Lufkin are nice around the mill because the bright orange color is easy to see and I don't loos them so easy in the sawdust.     My favorite when on portable jobs are the Cen-Tec from Harbor Freight.   I picked up 6 of them on sale for about $2 each 7 or 8 years ago figuring I'd loose them pretty quickly and wouldn't be out much money.   They're also orange and fairly rugged as well.   I still have 5 of them out in the sawmill tool box !!!   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

paul case

Come to think of it, we still are using a fat max that was clipped to WWSJR's mill when we got home, feb 2016. My dad doesn't like the name fat max so much?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Dan_Shade

I like the old style 12' Stanley Leverlock, I rarely wear gloves, and "what"?  I use hard hats with ear muffs
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

caveman

In the shop I use Stanley and Lufkin (one of my Lufkin tapes has two 113" in marks.  I discovered this when I cut a board I intended to cut at 131" at 113").  At the mill, we use the free ones from Chinese Junk and Crap (Harbor Fright Freight).  The clips are junk but we leave one on the clamp side of the mill and another rides on the power feed control box.  I would hate to subject a good tape to all of the pine sap that a fresh longleaf or slash pine will leak out.  I do like the Spencer 100' logger's tape for measuring log length, diameter and also for measuring 100' when setting up slope courses for FFA land judging practice.
Caveman

4x4American

I had one spencer tape and I didn't keep up on the screws and she blew apart, never got another one yet
Boy, back in my day..

Brad_bb

Tape: 25' Komelon self locking (fluorescent green)
Gloves: Stihl Timbersports , I like gloves that are more fitting like a batting glove.  I used to buy the $5 RW ones at Menards, but the leather doesn't last very long.  You can extend the life of them by using a leather conditioner like Obenauf's.  The Stihl gloves last about 4 times longer and maybe longer with conditioner.  The weak point of the Stihl gloves is the black spandex between the leather of the fingers.  When feeding my burn barrels, If I get them hot, I think it cooks this material making more brittle and it tears.  I then have to turn the fingers inside out and resew on my sewing machine. I also trim the fingertips to fit better and resew the tips on my machine.

Ear protection:  I got so tired of earplugs that I broke down and got a really good set of earmuffs from SRS Tactical.  I got MSA Sordin Supreme Pro Electronic hearing protection earmuffs.  I use them for shooting too. You can use them as passive hearing protection, or electronic noise cancelling.  That allows you to talk to people and hear them fine, but loud noise gets blocked.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

21incher

I have about 25 of the tapes harbor freight gives out free every time you go there.  ;D
They seem to hold up well and are the best price tape I can find.  I like the latex coated kinco thermal gloves as they out last the leather ones that I used to buy.  I just mute my hearing aids and stream music to them to eliminate loud noises  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!