iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dried pine pitch build up

Started by Hale87, May 06, 2017, 11:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

I tried searching this but didn't come up with much.
So one more redundant question.
I've got seriously dried pine pitch in a couple of areas and simply can't find anything that will cut it. There's some expensive stuff on Ebay but hate to buy it just to find out it doesn't work very well.
When I say dried,,,, I mean to the point it crystallized and separated.

thanks for your help
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

WV Sawmiller

H87,

What are you trying to cut it from? If its on your mill and you are just trying to clean it off try WD40 and elbow grease. Works for me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

redprospector

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Ox

Kerosene or diesel and a wire brush, scrubby, scraper, whatever.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Hale87

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 06, 2017, 12:02:03 PM
H87,

What are you trying to cut it from? If its on your mill and you are just trying to clean it off try WD40 and elbow grease. Works for me.

Both my blade covers and all round the inside of the saw head.
At this point it's almost black with pitch and dirt mixed together.
I seriously screwed up by letting it go this long but I never thought it would be this hard to remove!
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Chuck White

When I get pitch build-up, I spray the bunks, clamp and anywhere else I notice it, down with WD-40 at the end of the day and it's usually loose the next morning!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

GOOF OFF

It will also remove pitch from your vehicle without damaging the paint/clearcoat.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

If its as bad as you say you should remove it with a scraper. After spray it with a oily solvent, WD-40 is OK. When its clean slap on a good coat of paste wax, should help in the future. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ox

Does the Goof Off smell like naphtha?  Zippo lighter fluid?  Cause it looks like the same can as Ronson fluid and I bet it would work well for all the purposes listed on the can.  And probably a little cheaper too.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

Probably.  There is plenty of stuff that is packaged, labeled, and sold to specific markets...sorta like Sea Foam.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!