iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of log is this??

Started by Brad_bb, May 06, 2017, 08:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I milled a log yesterday that I cannot identify.   I'm in IL.  I've never milled this before.  Bark reminds me of white pine, but it's not a pine for sure.  Seems like a hardwood. Not much distinction between rings.  No pores.  Any ideas?  Had an odd smell, a little pungent like Red Elm(which I was milling he same day) but not the same as elm. 

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

qbilder

God bless our troops

Brad_bb

Definitely not.  I've milled Cotton wood. The grain of cottonwood is more distinctive and will give you that Cathedral grain look whereas this does not.  It looks so uniform it's difficult to see where one years growth ring ends and the next one starts.  Cottonwood has distinct lines between each ring.  Cottonwood is not this light either.  Also to note, there's no metal in this log.  Those dark spots are not metal.  Some look like small bark inclusions.  Not sure what they are.

Hewer of Wood

1997 Timber Harvester 1967 Pettibone Super 8 and too much sawdust. Joshua 9:21

Brad_bb

Good guess. I looked up but pic of wood doesn't quite match.
http://www.wood-database.com/water-tupelo/

In the tupelo description it also said Tupelo-gum.  That made me think maybe it's another gum like sweetgum. So I looked that one up and it sure looks like it.  I think it's sweet gum.
http://www.wood-database.com/sweetgum/

pineywoods

Sweetgum. Likely will warp and twist in more ways than you can think of  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ChugiakTinkerer

We get hybrids of cottonwood-poplar in my region.  Not saying it's either of those, but you could be getting some hybridization making it more confounding.
Woodland Mills HM130

Ron Wenrich

Yard tree or a woods tree?  You're a bit out of the sweet gum range for it to be a woods tree. 

It looks a bit more like black gum - nyssa sylvatica. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Brad_bb

Pineywoods.  I left it 6 inches thick cutting off two sides only.  I'll let it stabilize in the barn for a year and then see what it looks like and see if I'll use it anywhere.

Brad_bb

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on May 06, 2017, 10:13:25 AM
Yard tree or a woods tree?  You're a bit out of the sweet gum range for it to be a woods tree. 

It looks a bit more like black gum - nyssa sylvatica.

Yes, likely a yard tree.  My main log supplier is a firewood operation that has relationships with tree services.  He separates out the nicest logs for me to mill instead of making firewood out of them.  i've got him trained for the curved and wonky pieces i look for timberframing.   I think it is sweet gum.  He gave me a piece before that was only 4ft long curved that he told me was sweet gum.  It was just so small that I didn't get a good feel for identifying it. 

The tree serviced he deals with cut in town and rural.  I've had some nails in Ash and Walnut, but not so much that it bothered me.  I'm surprised how few nails/metal I come across in the logs.  If there are some nails in Walnut logs, I care alot less because usually Walnut is worth a band. Once i hit them, I yank them and move on.

nativewolf

Pictures of end grain are always really helpful when ID'ing wood.  Do you have any?  Dampen the wood a bit so the cell structures pop out a bit more.
Liking Walnut

paul case

Looks like one of the 3 types of Hickory we have around here.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

SineWave

Basswood/linden?

One way to tell if it's sweetgum is to try to split it. Due to all the interlocking grain, a splitting maul will just bounce off of it – as if the log was made of rubber – until you're blue in the face. If you try to split it with a hydraulic log splitter, chances are it will just turn the log into a wad of ropy fibers...more malleable, but still not divided into multiple pieces.

If you're getting it from a firewood supplier, this is probably why he wants nothing to do with the stuff...

kelLOGg

Hickory is what it looks like to me.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

TKehl

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

SineWave

Pecan or another type of hickory was also what came to my mind first...except the pecan I've seen didn't have that gray cast to it...otherwise, it looked similar...

We had a huge pecan in the yard get killed by lightning, which was a real bummer because the nuts (mahan pecan variety, also called "papershell") were large, reliable, delicious, and could be cracked open without a nut cracker (just take two in hand and crush them together)...thankfully, that cultivar is true to form and it had many offspring...

Chuck White

Not sure by any means, but I'm guessing Soft Maple!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

buzywoodliff

I was thinking some kind of maple as well..??

LAZERDAN

If n you know it's not cotton wood,  that bark and the wide grain and the holes make it look like willow,  It's hard to lick that wood from a pic ............  Lazerdan 

kelLOGg

Wow! We are all over the map. Can you tell us more about the log? e.g., density, weight?

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

carykong

I vote gum tree,too.  I have seen the imbedded bark characteristics in gum that I have sawed. Young limbs long gone and overgrown by the latest growth rings.  Color looks the same.

etroup10

NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

fishfighter

Quote from: Brad_bb on May 06, 2017, 09:28:16 AM
Good guess. I looked up but pic of wood doesn't quite match.
http://www.wood-database.com/water-tupelo/

In the tupelo description it also said Tupelo-gum.  That made me think maybe it's another gum like sweetgum. So I looked that one up and it sure looks like it.  I think it's sweet gum.
http://www.wood-database.com/sweetgum/

I don't think it is sweet gum. Bark is way to heavy.

paul case

That smell, does it kind of remind you of a horse stable?

The bark looks hickory to me and the dark in the outter wood happens to some hickory when it has ben cut down and not milled for a bit. I bet the guy who had that in his yard was happy to see it go. Hickory trees that size make jillions of nuts.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Don P

The first pic, the wood does look like mockernut hickory to me complete with the greying from sitting too long. The bark doesn't to me.  ???

Thank You Sponsors!