processors

Started by OH logger, May 05, 2017, 08:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

the firewwod section has been worse than dead here lately so here it goes; so we have been getting pounded with rain here and ive got way too much time to think about stuff I shouldn't be (processors)  :D. is anyone in the process of buyin one or thinkin about one. ive been lookin (for no reason) and droolin and am always interested in what others think of the processors I am interested in. for me lookin is half the fun and way cheaper than buyin one  ;). I'm prolly 5 years out on buyin one. then my son will be old enough to run it after school. everyones needs are so different for what they process in logs and what they want their finished product to look like. but the order goes like this for me;
1. cord king
2. blockbuster
3. Multitek
multitek is great but I like the ability to have it customized to my specs and multitek is pretty rigid in the standard specs on what they make.
john

chance33

I've got an older Wood Beaver 16 and think it's great. Saw the new model at the Cambridge, oh. Paul Bunyan show and it's a winner. I'd also look at the Turner Mills machine. You can see both machines on their web site videos.
Mahindra 4025 4wd, FEL, Farm351P, Turner portable mill w/ 25 hp Honda, Wood Beaver 16 Processor.

drlewis

we have a turner firewood mill for 4 years now, over 2 thousand hrs on it works great. we would buy one again, bill is great to deal with, he ans. the phone if you need advise and will help you

OH logger

thanks for the info guys. they look like good machines but I'm lookin for somethin that will handle bigger logs and a little faster. is anything else goin on in the firewood community??
john

lopet

What does bigger wood mean ? +20" ?  = big $$$.   Do you want bar or circular saw ?  I am not up to date on all the new stuff but they all have pro's and con's. If I were you I definitely would be looking more at the Canadian ones. At 73 Cents on a Dollar you get a good deal. Or in other words here in Canada you can buy with one $ US  worth of $ 1.36, but then who knows what's in five years.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

OH logger

ya prolly 20 -22 inch stuff. that's where a guy gets in the money. and it needs to handle 23  or so feet stuff well. I buy some poles from land clearers and you get what you get if the wrong operator is grindin and loadin the log truck  >:(.  but we don't have a lot of trees (material) around here to choose from so we need to make wood out of every piece we can. I have looked at all of them but I always come back to cord king. even besides the exchange rate they are not as high as I thought they would (could) be. the quality seems to be there? and they have been building processors since the 1970's. I am likin the 24-30 model bar and chain. circular saws scare me with kids around if id hit a deer stand step in a log. I like the grapple "helper" they can put on them now. does anyone else have this model?? or the grapple option??
john

shamusturbo

I was just getting ready to make that comment. Multi-Tek had it first, I believe. I think they call it the shuttle grapple. I have seen some very late model ones with this option. I still think the trimming/cleaning work is more important. If you are dropping uneven cuts into the splitting troth, It comes out as junk or kindling. But I think that would be the coolest option that I don't have.

I also like the new "troth roller" CRD just "introduced". The operator can develop a skill of making the best split possible out of every cut log. A cab would be sweet but you need as much operator involvement as possible, IMO. *Even with extra help.

Multi-Tek double wedge system would be awesome too. Again, maximizing the "sellable" splits made each splitting cycle.

I'm with you thinking you are in the money at 20" diameter material. However, I think you will see its a struggle to get smaller poles into the feeding troth than worrying about the longest (30'+) Most of the machines can load from the end too so in theory you can put a 100' in. If you are going to load with a skidsteer, an average operator can get most everything feed into the machine. I wish mine had a third live deck leg. (Some of the earlier CRD's did) The spread now is 8'. I think most of the others have multiple, horizontal table/infeed legs.
Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

lopet

A hydraulic top feed roller does the same and is probably easier to build. Perhaps I could be wrong, but I think Cord King does not have that option for very long. Had to watch a video first, but  seems to work too.

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

OH logger

I also like the trough roller on the crd as an option. Its a great option to turn the wood so the knot is up with out bendin over and putting your hand in the chamber.

I totally agree with you when you say a crooked cut don't go over well too. I saw a built rite run that had the powered hour glass rollers to handle crooked logs. and it fed the real crooked ones in easy BUT when they are cut and fall into the splitting chamber they are cut at a serious angle and its nothin but trouble to split.

would a cab be beneficial if you had GREAT access to the splitting chamber through the window?? with the cord king and blockbuster you are right there. we split most of our wood in the spring when its too wet to log and a cab looks nice to have when its windy and or rainin.

whats this multitek double wedge design? I never saw it on their website or have otherwise heard of it.

as far as the 2 leg live deck on your CRD goes. the guy that does my wood added one between his 2 infeed chains.  its goes from the infeed trough to the 2x2 tube crossbrace. its fully functional with the chain and sprockets.   its only about 4 feet long but it works awesome for loadin the short stuff. if your not sure what I'm talkin about call me and I can send u a pic.
john

shamusturbo

It's in the middle of this video. It took me a few minutes to dig up the video. They call it the "TSS" 16 way multi-wedge system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97MwtvtsTC0&t=39s

The video is from 2008 and I havent seen or heard of it on any of their machines but in this video. The idea is pretty awesome but I'm guessing the longevity may not be there. I love that you can pick up the second set of wedges and split stuff 4-ways if you wanted.

A cab would definitely be beneficial like the newer ones on a Cord King. And we try to split as much as we can when the ground is frozen for the following winter so staying warm and dry would be pretty awesome too.

I have seen the CRD with the 3rd leg on craigslist, for hire. (your guy Mike) I would make that one of my first upgrades if I ever get time. 
Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

Randy88

If your talking new, and want all the goodies, I think your overlooking a really good processor, I think it now goes under the name of CSI made on the east coast.     Has a cab, grapple to feed the saw, 3/4 pitch saw bar and chain, sawdust conveyor and a unique way to elevate the block to change splitter sizes, splitter bypass and log deck, been around for decades and will last anyone three lifetimes if bought new, run one myself and loved the machine, but lacked the coin to own one new, and gave up finding one used.   

labradorguy

I'll be contrary and say I would not get a cab if it were me. Some days you just have to change what you wear when you're working but it's not a showstopper. Sure, a cab would be nice when the wind is blowing or it's wet, but I see it as a luxury rather than a requirement. I like the open air and freedom to move around and grab the pickeroon, but that's just me... I don't like cabs on my tractors either and I really like the way I could run a Takeuchi with the window up rather than closed in like on my Cat.

The bottom line is I believe I could take that $5000 and put it towards something that would make me money like a new attachment, three point grapple, etc...

Gearbox

If you are looking at a bar saw there is no getting away from the chain oil spray and dust without a cab with a fresh air filter . My home built BT 6870 processer I have had to resort to a paint resperator with dust filters . If I don't wear it I end up  with a sore throat and a big head for a few days after .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

4x4American

I know a guy who has been running a multitek for I think 7 years or so and he wishes the boss would buy a cord king lol

I also know a guy who has a CRD Metalworks and he loves it.  He said that if someone gave him a reasonable offer on his CRD he would sell it and buy the next size bigger one. 

I used to run a blockbuster for the excavation company I worked for.  It was more geared to the homeowner IMO but it was very well put together machine.  The log deck could hardly hold any logs and it really didn't want more than 8-10' long.  All stuff that could be upgraded.  The splitter worked good, the saw was ok, not a fan of the chainsaw I would personally want a slasher saw if I was going to be doing alot of it that chainsaw would dull quick in the dirty garbage we were cutting.  Usually we would file it while it was mounted which wasn't awful but wasn't great either.
Boy, back in my day..