iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working with loggers/contractors

Started by dgrover13, May 05, 2017, 06:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgrover13

This seems like the most appropriate forum to ask the community about working loggers.  Feel free to move this thread to appropriate board if needed. 8)

I guess you could say, 'I'm in a pickle'

Here's the short story: 
-I hired a logger to cut 20 trees.  One of his customers was thinning some trees.  These are going to be full length logs. Logger lives near the trees, about 3 hours from me.
-I paid half up front, and would pay in full before logs could leave his sight.
-I arraigned myself for a trucker to pickup and drop off and can only do it on friday's.

The logger has cancelled pick up twice now (2 fridays in a row).  Now we are shooting for Monday, but guess what, he just texted me hes too busy and can only meet late next week.

This isn't an option for me. 

Is he giving a run around, or how much slack do I give a guy? 

Its expensive for me to take off work.  Its hard to organize with the trucker.  The logger only texts as doesn't have cell phone service at his house. 
-Darren

jimdad07

Not sure where you live but I can tell you around here every logger I've ever dealt with is the same way.  They work on their own schedule.  That has been one of the major holdups on my build is down time in between logs being delivered.  I've waited for eight months at one point.  I finally found a place I can do my own logging so I can finally move forward on my project.
Loggers live from payload to payload and contract to contract.  If he has a few contracts going right now and they pay well he'll take care of them vs. a small job that he can't make as much on first.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Larch

This is how it goes but I would never give a logger money up front. 

I would have patience and see the deal through with a smile. 

barbender

I wouldn't have given him half up front unless he had a sterling reputation. I don't know what reason he cancelled for, but I do know stuff happens in the woods. If you're trucker can only haul on one day, that really limits the ability to make things happen. It's hard to say from my vantage point, the logger could be plain unreliable or just have had some challenging circumstances. However, I completely understand your frustration with the situation. I would pay him a personal visit since he can't get phone calls (red flag to me, how can you run a business with no communication?) and ask him if he really wants the job or not,  you have a construction schedule and need your logs. If not, ask for your deposit back, if he won't return it or already spent it, you've got big problems.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!