iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help me spec out a new W-M mill... :)

Started by labradorguy, May 05, 2017, 06:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yes to all of the above.  There are those times and logs that the claw does not fit and they will give you fits. 

Since I will never upgrade and do not saw "production", I am content with what I have.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

I also am content with what I have.

I have seen the claw turner on a lt70 work some and I think it fails on the same stuff that is a problem on the claw turner. I dont think it is something I would pay extra for If I was buying.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

labradorguy

This thread has really been helpful to me. My thanks to everyone who took the time to reply with their thoughts. I'm going to make a decision in the coming week. I've taken Cooks off the list and I'm going to visit Baker see what they have going on just to make sure I have not overlooked something. Right now I am 98% settled on W-M. As far as models, I'm still deciding between the 50 and the Super 40. Same engines, similarly equipped, price difference is $3500. I really wanted that 47hp LT50.....

The 70 is hanging out there in a distant third place. It looks awesome but I would have a hard time justifying the higher price since it would not be a full time production mill.

I'm still deciding on going wide or not too. I believe it would pay for itself but I don't know if it is worth doing since 98% of the logs would mill fine on the standard. I keep thinking more stress, more torque out on the end... idk.

Kbeitz

One day you will cry if you don't go wide...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

YellowHammer

One things for sure, so maybe it will ease the decision, is that no matter what you end up with, it will be a fine mill. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andries

Quote from: 4x4American on May 08, 2017, 09:05:46 PM
Quote from: Andries on May 08, 2017, 08:24:51 PM
Thanks GMM.
I guess that each sawyer is the only one that can tell if vertical stops and a chain turner would be worth $5k.
Pfff make that back in the first week the speed you be turnin them lawgs lol

Good answer there . . . sorta sounds like that Yogi Berra when he shoots out a 'pinion like that.  ;D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Stuart Caruk

Take a look at the LX450 from Woodmizer. I was going to upgrade last fall, but ended up in the hospital. It worked out well, since WM came out with the 450 in the interim. Sold my LT35 hyd the day I advertised it with 5 or 6 wanna be buyers lining up. My LX450 should be here in July. At the local WM event I got to look up close at all the mills, and the 450 came out well ahead of the LT50wide or LT70wide for my needs. Time will tell. Now to just get the roof on my shed and finish my infeed deck before the new mill comes.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: 4x4American on May 12, 2017, 10:43:50 PM
You're sawing with no blade guides or are you saying no hp guides just the rollers?  Idk, I think having the chain turner for the small logs I do would beat the claw, but, I could be wrong

Hey 4X4 How are you doing ?

Nope! No guides at all! Just rollers! No issues at the 40 ish MBF I have sawn since I took them off. Know more than few mills in this country running with out them too.

A chain turner is nice for sure but I turn logs with the claw until I have 1 square corner then i use the log clamp. Having run a mill with the chain turner I really don't think it will turn a log quicker than using the clamp and the clamp lets you flip either direction as well. The chain is nice but wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

4x4American

Ahh icic said the blind man to his deaf son as he whizzed into the wind...it's all coming back to me lol

Rollers are guides!  I thought you were sawing with nothing but bandwheels,  I was thinking you done gone off the deep end!  Lol

I'm doing good very busy hbu keeping busy?
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!