iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

siding pole barn ?

Started by lirachamo51, May 05, 2017, 01:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirachamo51

Built my 24x40 pole barn last summer and i'm starting to cut my siding.What i want to do is board and batten ,but instead of the traditional 2'' batten i want to use 8-10'' live edge. My girts are spaced every 2 feet on center  up to 13' high. I want to cut 8-12'' x3/4'' and leave 5-6'' space between each board , then cut a double side live edge to cover each space. Has anyone tried this and problems they had doing it. I've search the web and can't find any thing on it ! Any info would be great, thanks ???
Randy

Bruno of NH

I think that would work and look great to :) :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

I'm assuming only the battens are left live edge since the board edges won't show anyway.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

redbeard

this customer used 8"-12" live edge WRC boards and used 6"-8" boards in between for fastening  the live edge boards
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

lirachamo51

Yes, but the exposure of the boards behind the live edge would be 6-8''
Randy

paul case

Hey that will help out with not having to edge out all them nasty boards with bark on both edges. I think it would look great too. Be sure to post pictures of it everywhere so people will come buy my live edged lumber and I won't have to edge it either. 8)

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Pife

Something along these lines?  You can google Buffalo Center Drive-In Delta Junction for more pictures of the place, but this is really common up here, just the only place  I can think of off the top of my head that would have pictures of what you're looking for.

and another

lirachamo51

I think that is it, hard to tell from pic i can't zoom in on it. Length of the boards will be much longer at 13'.
Randy

jwilly3879

I used the same type of siding on a small barn we built. Put up a board, check the size of the live edge batten and put up the next board so the live edge landed on about 2" on each side.

Had done it once before and put up all the boards first didn't go to well because the battens were all different widths and some wouldn't cover the gap and give decent nailing. Some were so wide they covered most of the board.

The method I use now seems to work great.

lirachamo51

That second pic looks like it was overlap, like horizontal live edge. I was going to place all the boards on 1st then place the live edge batten like you did, thanks for the info i can see where it could be an issue and I'll learn from your and almost my mistake thanks !! ;D
Randy

qbilder

Quote from: jwilly3879 on May 05, 2017, 09:33:43 PM
check the size of the live edge batten and put up the next board so the live edge landed on about 2" on each side.

Had done it once before and put up all the boards first didn't go to well because the battens were all different widths and some wouldn't cover the gap and give decent nailing. Some were so wide they covered most of the board.

That^. Was just about to warn against using uniform boards with random batten for that reason exactly, then seen your post. Sounds like you learned the best way, with experience  :D
God bless our troops

moodnacreek

You see this style from time to time, it's called board on board.

lirachamo51

Although i searched on the internet for this style and couldn't find anything,I was sure some one else had to have done this and where else could you find the answers ,but on FF .... members are the best !!!! 8)
Randy

carykong

Live edge battens will give your build a very special look.  One drawback with wide overlapping battens is moisture is more prone to stay trapped between the boards ,particulary on the northside.  Generous overhang on the roof dripline may help mitigate the water lingering between wide batten and board

lirachamo51

Inside walls will not be finished so hopefully there will be enough air flow through the building to keep any moisture build up to a minimum.
Randy

bags

I've done a few over the years with the B on B design. You need to be sure the batten boards are pretty dry before you put them up. You'll be edge nailing with the crown backwards and no support in the center of the batten board.

What happens with a "wide" wet batten board with live edge down is----> the side nails hold the edge in place and when the board dries, it dries away from the pith. The crown is out, so the pith side will dry towards the structure. The edge nails hold, and the board bows in with no support, and splits the center of the batten.

The B on B design looks real nice. Dry lumber and seal the wood as soon as possible.

lirachamo51

If i were to put 1x2 strips in the gap behind the batten, would that help support the batten and stop the splitting, the girts are 20'' apart edge to edge 2' on center  ???
Randy

bags

Your still fight'in the board if the battens that wide aren't fairly dry. Wood does what it does. An 8-10" wide board secured on the edge every two feet is still gonna shrink 1/16-1/8" and that nail pattern wont let the edges move--- so the center shrinks and pulls apart after 3-4 years.

You could install the 1X2's and center nail the battens till they dry down and the edges start to pull away from the structure--- then screw the edges down. I think that's a bad idea cause your back to fight'in the board, and who knows where a stress crack will show up.

The board on board looks real nice--- I'd let the battens dry down a bit then slap'em up. 

lirachamo51

I'll take your advise and let it dry for awhile before putting anything up, thanks . Just want it done by the end of summer and hunting season starts !!!
Randy

lirachamo51

just started to put up the live edge siding, it has been drying for around 2 months so hopefully i won't get to much more warping ! its slow going by my self, but it looks nice right now! should take me around 3 more weeks to get it all up then i'll send pics of finished job. this is what it looks like right now. ;Dhttp://www.forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6373
Randy

lirachamo51

Randy

lirachamo51

Randy

lirachamo51

Randy

barbender

The struggle was worth it- the siding looks great!
Too many irons in the fire

samandothers

Thank You Sponsors!