iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leeks

Started by Chuck White, May 05, 2017, 07:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Leeks (some call them Ramps) are up, not very big bulbs yet but there are going to be lots of leeks this year!

Can't wait to can a mess of them!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

Chuck I love em too, but I have about cleaned my woods out and havent gone lookin for more.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

69bronco

I've never had much luck finding them, what kind of conditions do they like?

Chuck White

Shady areas, places where run-off from the hills builds up nice black soil!

However, they are also found in sunny areas, but not so much!

PETE:  When your digging leeks, don't clean out the whole patch, leave some for seed!
You guys most likely have lots of them on your hunting property in DeGrasse!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

I've never gone after them,  but there is a guy locally who does. He brought us some ramp butter.   It's great on garlic bread.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Weekend_Sawyer

I love making potato leek soup!

I never knew you could find them in wild so to speak.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

petefrom bearswamp

Potato leek soup sheer ambrosia!
Pickled leeks sauteed leeks all great.
Chuck I did leave small patches but they dont seem to be spreading much
Havent dug any since 2011
Just lazier I guess.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sawguy21

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 05, 2017, 12:56:22 PM
I've never gone after them,  but there is a guy locally who does. He brought us some ramp butter.   It's great on garlic bread.
That would be good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coxy

they are about had it here starting to turn yellow  but the bulbs  are huge here never seen them that big before

Chuck White

I like leeks (not to large though) on a bread and butter sandwitch with a little salt!

I also like them in cooking anywhere you'd normally use onions, especially spaghetti sauce!

coxy

chuck hows your leeks doing  ares  is just about had it I'm going to get a few more after the go to seed and see how they are after they are canned

Chuck White

I haven't dug any yet, but there are a few just off the edge of the back yard that I'll be checking in the next few days!

If they're good size for canning (about the size of my pointer finger) I'll go to the woods and get some!

loggah

I got all kinds of them over by my sugar house, huge patches. We gathered a lot of them last year and dehydrated a bunch. my wife uses them in all kinds of things,omelets ,spaghetti sauce, there really great.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Thank You Sponsors!