iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identifying bands?

Started by OlJarhead, May 04, 2017, 07:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

OK gang, here's one for you:  How can you identify a 10 degree from a 4 or 7 degree band?

I have two 4's and two Turbo 7's which I tried out on a job a couple weeks ago.  I'd set them asside on the job site and the customer, thinking they would be helpful dropped in with the rest of the 10 degree bands that had come off the mill during cleanup at the end of the day.  I sent them off to WM and asked that they seperate them on shipping, which they assured me they would do (and have done in the past) but when I opened the box I knew they had to be in (because they weren't in the last box as far as I could tell) none of the bands were separated (usually via heavy zip tie).

So, any way to measure them to tell what's what?  Any simple way?  I've tried looking at the gullets and tooth angle but can't tell any difference frankly.

Thanks
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Dave Shepard

The Turbos will have the deepest gullets, and 4s next. If you hold two bands together, you will be able to see a difference in angle. WM has a gauge, but it doesn't  have theTurbos, but I think there is enough of a difference that you should be able too tell then apart.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Do you have a machinists protractor?
Boy, back in my day..

bandmiller2

As 4 by said a machinists protractor. It helps if you leave a slight gap between the tooth face and the protractor with a white background. It requires a precise tool because their taint much difference between 4 and 7. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

First off, I spray paint the welds on my 4° blades green, and although not needed, the 7° turbo's get the redish paint.  The 10° blades get no paint.  The paint will still be visible after sawing or resharpening and I touch the paint up between each operation.

My WM blade template also sports the same colors and with the 10° getting a splash of white.  I have a broken section of 7° turbo, but since the profile is so dramatic, it is not needed.

The only profiles that are even remotely close are the 4°'s & 10°'s, and I can quickly identify any new blades with the template and give them some color.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

If you can't tell by looking, paint is the easy answer.  Spraying the weld will suffice, the grind grooves hold the color quite well.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

OlJarhead

Hmmm I like that guage -- does one find it on WM's site?  I'll buy one ASAP

I LOVE the paint idea and will move to that ASAP!

I plan to order a box of 4's before heading back to the wood lot to continue milling those big logs in hopes that I'll get more than an hour out of a band!

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

fishfighter

The paint tip is an outstanding idea. 8)

Magicman

Erik, I have not seen it on the WM site, but just ask.  It is ~$15.  I actually got mine from ReSharp.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

KirkD

Quote from: OlJarhead on May 04, 2017, 08:40:54 PM
Hmmm I like that guage -- does one find it on WM's site?  I'll buy one ASAP

I LOVE the paint idea and will move to that ASAP!

I plan to order a box of 4's before heading back to the wood lot to continue milling those big logs in hopes that I'll get more than an hour out of a band!

Yes from my invoice....

Part Number 065691 Gauge, Blade Profile 15.00
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

WV Sawmiller

Erik,

Not as fast or easy but the serial number on the WM bands tells the set. Look in your manual under blades and it describes the code. Last letter in the code is preceded by 2 numbers that are the set. See attached below.

Of course it is easier to color code. I keep mine in separate boxes (2 blade types per box with one set on one side and other set on other side). Once used I send them all back together and WM separates and marks them on return from resharp.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

I tried to order a gauge from WM when I ordered some bands they sent me a white piece of steel 18" for $28 bucks
Wasn't what I was looking for :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 04, 2017, 10:09:28 PM
Erik,

Not as fast or easy but the serial number on the WM bands tells the set. Look in your manual under blades and it describes the code. Last letter in the code is preceded by 2 numbers that are the set. See attached below.

Of course it is easier to color code. I keep mine in separate boxes (2 blade types per box with one set on one side and other set on other side). Once used I send them all back together and WM separates and marks them on return from resharp.

Good luck.

Hiward as per the nomenclature you gave it looks to me like that is the hook angle not the set.  So that right there could solve Eriks proberlum.  eh
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

For WM blades you need the WM gauge MM pictured.  I can tell 4s from 7s easy but if I get 7s and 10s mixed up that is hard.  The gauge fits perfectly in the profile of the corresponding teeth.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

As information, the 7° portion that I have painted "red" on my gauge is for the standard 7° blade, not the 7° turbo.  The broken piece is a turbo, but it is not needed.  The turbos are very obvious.

WV Sawmiller

4X4,

Excuse my ignorance. I guess I will have to re-read and re-watch the WM video on their bands because I thought the set and the hook angle were the same. What is the difference?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

You're excused lol The set is how much the left and right tooth are pushed apart to give clearance for the blade body to pass through the cut.  The hook angle is the angle of the face of the tooth. 
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz & 4X4,

Now you guys have me in trouble! You know my mental hard drive is full and for me to learn something new like the difference between set and hook angle, means I have to do a memory dump of something else. So if I forget my wife's birthday or our anniversary or something I am going to tell her it was your fault. :D

Thanks for the info.
Howard Green

Dave Shepard

Your Brain Attic is full? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bluejay27

The hard ones for me to tell apart are 4 and 9, and 7 and 10. The respective profiles are almost identical but tilted (4/32 tilted to 9/29 and 7/34 tilted to 10/30). The T7 is entirely different and a lot taller (7/39.5). The last angle effectively tells you tooth height since the top angle being steeper means the tooth is taller.
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

terrifictimbersllc

Turbo 7 = Some of the Rocky Mountains
7/34 = rest of the Rocky Mountains
10/30 = Adirondacks, High Peaks
4/32 = Appalachians
9/29 = Wavy Lumber or Black Hills of S.D.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

petefrom bearswamp

I have used my old 95 drag sharpener with the 10 degree cam and set the hook angle at 7
Seems to work OK.
did this with WM cooks Suffolk and wood max blades
All my 7 34s and 7 turbos go to resharp.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

4x4American

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 05, 2017, 10:42:29 AM
Kbeitz & 4X4,

Now you guys have me in trouble! You know my mental hard drive is full and for me to learn something new like the difference between set and hook angle, means I have to do a memory dump of something else. So if I forget my wife's birthday or our anniversary or something I am going to tell her it was your fault. :D

Thanks for the info.

:D :D :D
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!