iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Tick Troubles

Started by whitepine2, May 04, 2017, 06:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitepine2

New Tick Troubles as if Lime was bad enough,now we need to worry about
something worse.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/02/rare-tick-borne-powassan-virus-worries-some-experts-about-possible-spread.html

CJennings

That is not something I wanted to read. Working in the field most of the time at work I frequently have ticks on me. To say nothing about hiking, fishing, hunting.

John Mc

I've been using Insect Shield treated clothing for a few years now. It's treated with Permethrin in a special process that binds it to the fabric. It's supposed to last though 70 washings. (If you buy permethrin and treat clothing yourself, it lasts through 3 washes or so.) I've not counted the washings, but the T shorts and long-sleeved Ts I've had for 3 year or so are still working well. The brand name is Zorrel.

They've worked well enough that I bought treated socks and just ordered a pair of lightweight pants.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ron Scott

Ticks are already bad here even with the cold weather. Just getting over one bad bite from a tick during turkey hunting.
~Ron

John Mc

Another thing to keep in mind: some newer studies seem to disagree that the tick needs to be attached for 12/24/48 hours to transmit disease. One I read said that it may be as quick as 15 minutes for some diseases.

Also, avoid the old-time removal techniques of pouring gas/diesel on them, covering them in vaseline, putting a hot, just-burned match head on them, and avoid squeezing their bodies when removing. All of these things can cause the tic to disgorge its stomach contents, injecting a heavy dose of whatever the tick may be carrying into your bloodstream.

I've got a cousin who has been wheelchair-bound twice now by Lyme disease. The first time went undiagnosed for an extended time, despite multiple blood tests. I used to just figure "it won't happen to me" (and I've always seemed to get less ticks on me than my friends), but since her problems, I take it a lot more seriously.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Just Me

That not cool at all!

We had ticks real bad here two years ago, even in the yard. My wife mixed up some Permethrin [?] and sprayed a ring around the woods and that seemed to settle them down in the yard, but every time we went in the woods we got ticks if we did not spray pant legs with Premethrin.

At least with the Lyme disease you had some time to come home and check, not so much from this one.

Makes one think, I have always taken the woods for granted as being a safe place. maybe not so much any more. This could have a huge impact on rural economy's like ours that depend on tourists. People may hesitate to vacation in the North woods if they feel their kids could die from playing in the woods. The percentages are not very exciting, especially as I live in the woods.

John Mc

Even with Lyme, it's no longer certain that you have an extended period to check. Some studies are calling that old 24 hour rule into question.

coxy

is all it going to take is some rich tree huggers kid to get real sick or something worse and they will start spraying or something else until then most poor slobs like me will suffer till the end   that's my story and I'm sticking to it rant over

whitepine2

Looka this not good a death already in Maine.

[url][url]]http://www.fox25boston.com/news/woman-dies-from-rare-tick-borne-virus-doctors-c[url][url][url][/url][/url]oncerned-about-more-cases/520657760[/url]

coxy

wont let me look at page

whitepine2

Try this one if it don't work google fox news Boston #25 and search
ticks Maine and open woman dies from rare tick etc.....

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/woman-dies-from-rare-tick-borne-virus-doctors-concerned-about-more-cases/520657760

WH_Conley

Even without the diseases how come the will raise up a knot that will itch for weeks? They used to did not do that.
Bill

grouch

I've been using this stuff. I can stand the peppermint smell on shoes, socks and pants a lot better than I can stand the ticks. (It's pretty stinky but not near as bad as Off and Cutter. Can't stand those).

Find something to do that interests you.

Thank You Sponsors!