iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jeff and Chet visit Menominee Saw

Started by Jeff, April 01, 2005, 08:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peach

Quote from: Chet on April 10, 2005, 08:38:40 PM
Got da camera back so I took a couple of picks of da Rim Saw dat Peach fixed up fur Jeff.

Jeff, lookin' at da pic it looks like Peach might have cut da arbor hole a wee bit too big.  :D  :D  :D  :D  Just kiddin' Peach  ;D

Dem teeth are just beggin' ta chew on some wood.  :)  Looks really good Peach, can't wait ta try er out.   8)

Roxie

He's in and out of our life so fast.............and I wanted to hear about Vegas! :)
Say when

chet

Quote from: Roxie on April 21, 2005, 06:48:09 PM
He's in and out of our life so fast.............and I wanted to hear about Vegas! :)

Seein' as how Peach ain't braggin' about da Vegas trip it is probably a purty safe bet ta asume da boy lost.    :D  :D  :D  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

asy

Quote from: Chet on April 21, 2005, 08:54:57 PM
Seein' as how Peach ain't braggin' about da Vegas trip it is probably a purty safe bet ta asume da boy lost.    :D  :D  :D  ;D

Yup, even by his own admission...

Quote from: Peach on April 21, 2005, 06:34:26 PM
8) howdy boy's !  been on vaca. in vegas ...    ...nope , they stung us bad !! >:( 

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

moosehunter

Jeff,
I keep checkin' back here for the pics of the band blade portion of M. saw. How 'bout it?
MH
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jeff

I know I know. :D  Its still coming soon. Maybe I'll see if I can get my writing bones in gear for this evening.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Part 4

As we were finishing our visit up with Peach, Ben Mroz returned from his earlier appointment and asked if we would like to go tour the band saws facility. SURE!  :)
Here's Ben.

Ben jumped in his Jeep and Chet and I took out after him in the Forestry Forum truck. We drove a few blocks to arrive at the other complex. As we walked in we saw crate after crate of bandsaw blades ready to ship. These were not your portable mill type bands, these were come biguns! 12 inches wide!

We walked a little bit further and saw this very very very very long lay out table with lengths of double cut band saw blades on it. (teeth on both edges.) Ben explained to us that band saws are actually must be tensioned, and have a dish, much like a circle saw. this cup in the blade holds it on the wheels and allows it to cut in either direction. These blades had been manufactured from coils of steel that were on the opposite end of the room.

Behind us, Ben showed up the Welding Machine that welds and and heat treats these monster size blades. For some reason my picture did not come out of this machine, I do remember that it was one very very expensive machine. I do have a shot of a blade that was still smokin hot from just being welded on this machine.

Here is a shot of a some of the larger saws ready for sharpening. We put Chet in it for scale ;)  (sorry about the photo quality, this area of the plant was quite dark)

From this area we entered a huge room full of machines dedicated to the Big Bandsaw blades. Here Menominee saw completes the production of new saws, but also sharpens sets and repairs customer saws from all over the United States. At the opposite end of this room is also where they were re-tipping saws with Stellite tips

More to come!
Next up:
Into the dungeon to meet Terry and to see where Menominee Saw builds, sharpens, sets and repairs the bandsaw blades that many of our Forestry Forum members use every day.

tnlogger

jeff that is one place i would love to go see.  8) 8) Great job just like being there ourselves. thanks
gene

Peach

Was very cool to revisit FF . I thought . Wow ! 22,000 saws . Well . I'm at nearly 33,00 now . Lots of new peeps and some great articles and questions . 🍑

Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!