iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sandblasting?

Started by Woodhauler, May 03, 2017, 08:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Been getting some Big estimates on doing my log truck frame and axles. Has anyone bought or rented one to do it yourself? I have a family member that will do the painting for me.Seen some for around 600-700 bucks. Wonder how good these work?
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Don_Papenburg

The most important part of a sandblasting outfit is the air compressor.  (185-200 cfm) is the ideal range.
Then a verygood blasting hood with air pressure into it. I like the Bullard blasting helmet,Clemco is OK . stay away from cloth ragtops with a cheap bumpcap inside.   Then you want a pressure operated pot , not a siphon outfit.  Next you want a carbide type blasting nozzel  . 1/4" i.d. would be the right size for 185 cfm. you could get by with a 3/8" nozzle .don't use ceramic nozzels unless you positively can not get the good ones.  Ceramic will wear out very fast .   
Pressure wash  the grease and crud off the frame before you start basting , if you don't you will be chasing it from side to side ,end to end.
Blast the worst parts first and the underside also then go to the top and easier stuff.
Doing the job on an overcast day will be better than looking up into a bright sun.
Have fun wear long sleeves and good gloves.  Oh cinch your belt up tight.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

snowstorm

pressure wash a couple times needle gun if there is any loose rust or bubbled paint. then lots of sherwin Williams dura plate 235 shot with a under coat gun. at least 6 to 8 mills thick

coxy

jmop but i will never sandblast anything again ill pay someone to do it its a mess and little water that gets in there will clog the sand  also watch your air lines or they will look like a sprinkler when your done  :)

21incher

A while back I rented one to blast the frame of a 1932 Chevy I had. It was a large tow behind compressor and a pressure pot that held several hundred pounds of sand. It did the job quickly, but the hood they provided was not very good and it was a hot day so it was not fun being covered with sweaty sand. By the time I paid the rental fee and fuel charge plus the cost of bags of black beauty slag I think it would have cost less to have a professional do it. Be careful if you blast grease off because if any of that soaks in the ground or runs off can be a nightmare to remove. Cover the cab real good if you do it, because that over spray messes up glass real bad. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sandhills

My best friend made a business out of sandblasting/painting, I've helped him enough I'll just take whatever needs done to him and pay for it  ;).  Everyone here is right on all points, he built a 1/4 million dollar shop so he could get big trucks/equipment in, it takes a lot of money to keep things afloat and it is messy work, he looks like an astronaut when he's blasting but no one else around here can handle the "big stuff".

Brad_bb

A dirty job for sure.  I've done it , and I'd sooner farm it out than do it myself. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

snowstorm

The boatyard where I dock my boat has someone come in to sandblast the tugboat they work on. They srink wrap around the tug. Those guys will blast for 10 or more hrs day. Its got to be really hot under that plastic tent.

LeeB

check into water blasting or plan on replacing any and all bearings. The sand will get in them.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WV Sawmiller

WH,

Another possible source for sandblasting is your local monument dealer. They sandblast the letters and engravings in granite monuments. Many even have portable outfits to go put death dates and such on monuments that have already been erected in the cemeteries. Some do a little sandblasting for the public on the side. You might check with them - the worst they can say is no. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

coxy

i started redoing a 52 case vac14 got most of it blasted and there was a small patch of paint on the hydro pump on the motor and i hit it and it also hit the radiator big big mistake good by radiator it pithed me of so bad i never finished  restoring it it still sits out back of the shop 10 years later  >:( >:( >:(

Don_Papenburg

I don't like black beut. it leaves a dirty film of coal slag on the metal .  It does not clean as fast as silica sand . 
I double duct tape anything that I want to keep unblasted. Plywood covers large non target areas fast .
Use only good duct tape . Guerrilla Tape is a good tape .   Then do not remove it after blasting but tape over it again to paint . Then remove it after the paint is dry.  NEVER point an active blast hose at a radiator.  Just a few pointers that will help , some of you know about many of these . 

Kbeitz

I used to do a lot of sandblasting until I got my hands on a
comercial needle descaler.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Woodhauler

Quote from: Kbeitz on May 05, 2017, 08:54:49 AM
I used to do a lot of sandblasting until I got my hands on a
comercial needle descaler.
I have been thinking about one. My truck frame is not a solid mat of rust.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

snowstorm

I have one of you want to use it

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on May 05, 2017, 05:53:25 PM
I have one of you want to use it
Hard to run one armed! I am going to ask jerry if he is interested in trying it.

Don_Papenburg

Check out a product called  Evaporust  .  I saw it advertised in an automotive magazine . 
Supposed to be enviromentaly safe, reusable .

Woodhauler

Well against everyones advice, I am going to rent one. I have someone to run it for me! We will see.

snowstorm

What are you using for primer and paint?

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on May 08, 2017, 05:14:34 PM
What are you using for primer and paint?
Think im going to get Works to paint it. He has got the good stuff up there.

Thank You Sponsors!