iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vintage Axe Questions.. I need advice

Started by scottyc, September 25, 2013, 01:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottyc

Thanks, I start with a wire brush to get the rust off then 100 grit sand papper, 250,600,800.1000 and 2500 girt finished with green jewlers polish. I enjoy the work but i am investing in a grinder with a polishing wheel
The minute you think you know it all, is when you stop learning

pappy19

Any of the old Marbles axes or hatchets are some of the best USA made ever. Most problems are the replacement handles, as the Marbles had a much different interior design and therefore, much harder to replace. I have 2 hatchets that need handles, but hard to find. Marble steel is also hard to beat. Even Randall Made Knives used a Marbles hatchet head on a few of their very rare Randall hatchets. That should tell you something.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

scottyc

I picked up Marbels hatchet a few eeks back at a flea market, The handle is in good shape, I'll post a pic when i start working on it, I'm starting on one of my 2 man saws this week, Looking forward to seeing how it comes out
The minute you think you know it all, is when you stop learning

Wagaige75

Hi guys I'm new to axe collecting and recently got my first beauty.  She is a 6lb elwell I also bought a 7 1/2 lb elwell but not here yet and a 6lb Whitehouse yes I'm guilty for liking the looks of the English axe. I am also starting a restore on my 3lb plumb what's your guys thoughts on best way to refinish the steel and what do you coat them with to protect them

coxy

Kbeitz

I got a couple of old broadhead axes.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Wagaige75!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!