iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cherry log with twist

Started by buzywoodliff, May 03, 2017, 08:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzywoodliff

cleaning up some fence rows today and came across a standing dead cherry with an awesome amount of twist.  its maybe 22" diameter and 12' long, still good and solid inside.

what do you all recommend for maximum grain pattern?

sorry, haven't taken time to learn how to post pictures.

Brad_bb

I flat saw cherry.  There's no telling which will be curly and which won't.  Seems for me every 6th log will be curly.  If it's already pretty dry, that would be good- so it doesn't move too much drying due to the twist.  I haven't had any twisted cherry.  If it has a lot of twist and it's wet, you're going to likely get split ends due to the irregular tension.  Cherry wants to end check often even when it's straight.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

carykong

Twist means stress means cut thicker

Magicman

Crooked Cherry tree?  Did someone mention a crooked Cherry tree??   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

Do you think it will twist when it dries MM?

No it will only be in pieces 18'' long.

Second thought is yes it will fold up like a Ice cream cone. Great smoker wood though. Hard to mess that up. ;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

TKehl

You see smoker wood.

I see a unique base for a high dollar glass top table.   :o
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Brad_bb

That is a prize magicman!  I'd take that, peel it, and scribe it into a timberframe.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

For now (and maybe forever) I will continue to let it grow and be a funky twisted Cherry tree.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TKehl

Quote from: Magicman on May 04, 2017, 09:35:11 AM
funky twisted Cherry tree

There's a song or a band name in there somewhere.  Funky twisted cherry, twisted cherry tree, twisted funky tree...   :) :D  Now playing "Twisted Cherry Tree" and the "Tap Roots".   8)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Treehack

I say send it to Kbeitz to put on his new log twister, then you'll really have something. :D
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

ChugiakTinkerer

I like Twisted Cherry and the Pith-Tones.   :o
Woodland Mills HM130

Darrel

If it's dead, I take it when I have a chance but if I find a living, growing, twisted and/or crooked tree, I leave it and take note of its GPS coordinates on my smartphone so I can come back and get it when my next twisted project comes up. At any rate, I avoid sawing it until I have a pretty good idea how it will fit into said twisted project because I only get one chance to cut it.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

buzywoodliff

When I bucked it, it seemed very very dry..... I'll try just sawing thru and thru, and maybe a little thicker than normal to make sure it'll plane down where I want it.   Thanks for all the comments!!

And MagicMan.....I understand leaving that crooked cherry because it is pretty cool, but the first sign of it doing poorly, it would be down...... 300 bucks is 300 bucks.  Lol

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

It may not be as crooked as yours but we grow some crooked cherries here in WV. This one is on a rock bar in my pasture.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!