iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally saying hello, been lurking here forever

Started by Pife, May 03, 2017, 05:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pife

Good afternoon,

Thought it was about time to say hello at least, since I've been reading in the background for well over a year.

I started reading here after I decided that I would eventually build or buy a sawmill.  And for the record, I'm building a bandsaw mill with parts I ordered from Linn lumber, still wont be ready till later this summer or fall, but everything is in place to start on it. 

I little of my background, I am almost retired from the US Army, that will happen later this year.  Ive been everything from a diesel mechanic to radio repairer with a little time as a MP (Military Police) in the middle.  I live in the middle of no-where Alaska on 40 acres of timber I was lucky enough to get.  Hobbies are machining, paintball and misc Mc-Gyvering (if its broke, I can usually fix it - and usually go overboard in fixing it, it wont break again in that spot at least.)

As far as any tooling / machinery goes, I have a couple milling machines (one is CNC), a small lathe, welder, surface grinder, and pretty much anything a repair shop has.

I've built a small log arch for my ATV, rebuilt a rack from a pickup into a nice ATV trailer, and mentally built and rebuilt my sawmill a couple hundred times. I'll be taking pictures of the mill as I build it, but - still a while off.

I do have some pictures in my gallery, after figuring out how to work it.  The pictures include some of the trees I'm going to harvest eventually.

Enough of my rambling, time to go back to being productive.

jwade

welcom pife. glad to have you with us. and thank youfor your service, hope you have a long happy and prosperous retirement.

Seavee

Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Savannahdan

Welcome and you sound like your enjoying things.  Way to go.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Kbeitz

Wow.... Sounds like your going to fit right in....

Welcome from another builder...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

samandothers

Welcome aboard!  Hope you are enjoying your peace of heaven on earth!  Thank you for your service.

ChugiakTinkerer

Welcome to the forum neighbor!

That's a mighty fine looking piece of land.  And some nice home-built equipment too.  Do you have a commercial source for wheels and tires, or are you able to find what you need repurposing old machinery?
Woodland Mills HM130

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

goose63

Thank you for your service and welcome to the FF

We like picture's
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

dgdrls

sawmilllawyer

Thank You for your service to our country and a warm welcome. Sounds like you have a plan, go for it. I will be watching your build, pics are important.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

BigZ La

Welcome to the forum and many thanks for your service.

Pife

Quote from: ChugiakTinkerer on May 03, 2017, 05:35:15 PM
Welcome to the forum neighbor!

That's a mighty fine looking piece of land.  And some nice home-built equipment too.  Do you have a commercial source for wheels and tires, or are you able to find what you need repurposing old machinery?

I actually bought the hubs/spindle/wheels for the ATV cart - that was the only real expense on that.  The wheels and hubs for the log arch are the back wheels/hubs off of a ATV that was being junked.  The front wheels are going to be used making the other half of the arch to keep the logs from being dragged on the ground, the engine was melted down into ingots for later use.  If I see something that may have a use, I try to squirrel it away somewhere the wife wont notice immediately.  It may look like junk, but a lot of the stuff I'm hording (wife's term) are future projects. I'l have a lot more time on my hands next year, and I'm pretty sure she will not want me in the house being a annoyance.  I'll be out in the garage or woods being a annoyance.  My buddies up here are all excited about the sawmill, they dont realize yet that their excitement equates to grunt labor...GRIN.

An example of my hording:  a few years ago, a bunch of machines were being junked that had some real nice single action hydraulic pistons really easy to remove.  They are now in safekeeping in a crate under a workbench with mental projects for a system to clamp log dogs, raise either end of the log to level it out, or...who knows yet.

fishfighter

Welcome aboard. Retirement = to , how the heck I was able to do everything working a full time job before. :D

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Treehack

Welcome to the forum, Pife.  Thank you for your service to our country.  Sounds like if we ever get you and Kbeitz together it would be the dynamic duo.  Looking forward to your build project.
TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crusarius

Any progress on the Linn Lumber Mill? I am looking at doing the same thing. Like to pull the trigger soon but hard to justify it.

mad murdock

Welcome and thank you for your service to US!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!