The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: I Ain't Too Old!  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
Re: I Ain't Too Old!
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 03:08:58 pm »
Magic, what you need in addition to the bike helmet is a pair of those tite-fitting pants that have the bum cushions built in.  You'll also get lots of looks from the ladies when you wear them.  I won't venture as to whether they'll laugh, cry, point, or look at you intently.  Have fun.
BTW, my oldest brother rides his bike about 24 miles every day and won't go without the helmet.  He crashed one time when he was doing his cool down spin in his neighborhood after one of the long rides.  His helmet was cracked and worthless at that point but he was fine other than cuts on his knees and elbows.

Helmets save lives!
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
  • John and Nancy
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 07:37:30 pm »
Bikes are fun at any age.  I have several.  I wear the helmet.   I feel it is a extremely unsafe act to use bikes in truck and car traffic

Offline Delawhere Jack

• Senior Member x2
  • I ought to know better.....
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 07:37:44 pm »
Lynn,

Congratulations. Enjoy it in good health but do seriously consider the plastic and foam helmets.

I worked a project in Kristiansand Norway 2007-2008. My wife took and LOA and joined me for a year of it. We both bought and rode bikes there as easier to get around and park than a car plus they had good bike paths.

Visited Stockholm and Copenhagen 7 years ago. Lots of people in those cities commute by bike. And they have really good, heavy old school bikes, built the way we used to build them in the 1950's. Not the fastest by any means, but built for comfort and long lasting. During the morning and evening "rush hours", you had to be more alert for getting hit by a bike than a car..
black walnut, cherry, SYP, southern magnolia, poplar, hemlock, osage orange, red oak, white oak, chestnut oak, black locust, english walnut, ERC, WP, hickory, ash, black birch, beech, honey locust, apple, white cedar, black oak, basswood(?), sassafras and a "Christmas tree" full of iron

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 10:11:22 pm »
Yes, I wear a helmet but I do not have any of those "skinny legged" britches.  I only rode for mile the first day and now I'm up to 10 miles, but only rode 6 this evening because I'll be sitting on my butt and driving for ~6 hours tomorrow.

I'm feeling pretty good about strengthening up my legs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 06:17:29 am »
in my old age I have trouble pedaling my leg of to give my butt a ride  :)

Offline Delawhere Jack

• Senior Member x2
  • I ought to know better.....
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 11:19:44 pm »
Yes, I wear a helmet but I do not have any of those "skinny legged" britches.  I only rode for mile the first day and now I'm up to 10 miles, but only rode 6 this evening because I'll be sitting on my butt and driving for ~6 hours tomorrow.

I'm feeling pretty good about strengthening up my legs.

Cycling is a great way to get some exercise. Much more forgiving on the joints than jogging. Somehow I figured you wouldn't be one of those skinny legged spandex wearing types.  ;) A helmet is a good idea, and also gloves. If you happen to take a spill, the first thing that you'll catch yourself with tends to be your hands.... ask me how I know....
black walnut, cherry, SYP, southern magnolia, poplar, hemlock, osage orange, red oak, white oak, chestnut oak, black locust, english walnut, ERC, WP, hickory, ash, black birch, beech, honey locust, apple, white cedar, black oak, basswood(?), sassafras and a "Christmas tree" full of iron

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 08:56:33 pm »

You know,  a lot of good idea's came from being in the saddle of a moving bike.

D

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 04:57:16 am »
Well don't be like the old fella I followed one day. He was riding his bike along the street. He stopped and proceeded to climb off and that was when he up ended. Never seen it done that way before.  ;D

Pre-commercial thinning pays off. :)

'If she wants to play lumberjack, she's going to have to learn to handle her end of the log.'
Dirty Harry