The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: I Ain't Too Old!  (Read 1542 times)

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
I Ain't Too Old!
« on: May 03, 2017, 03:51:41 pm »
To own a New Bicycle.

A Majestic Cruiser by Schwinn.  Actually, they had me at Magic Majestic.  I found this jewel (new in the box) in our discount outlet store this morning for $56.00.  It's a 7 speed with a rear Shimano derailleur.  As you can see it is raining so I can't even ride it.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
Re: I Ain't Too Old!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 03:56:35 pm »
Can I take out life insurance on you with me as a beneficiary?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, Ford 851 tractor, JD 3032 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton and 2005 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 04:05:18 pm »
Funny (maybe not so funny) that you said that.  I never owned a bicycle growing up but I have taken some nasty spills as an adult.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 05:34:30 pm »
What do you mean you can't ride it because it is raining!?!  Where do s your sense of adventure and youth!  It has fenders. :D

Very nice ride and find.

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 05:41:53 pm »
It should go down hill without any problems.
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline Delawhere Jack

• Senior Member x2
  • I ought to know better.....
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 07:20:30 pm »
You're not going to turn into one of those guys who wear spandex pants and ride on winding country roads with no shoulder..... are you?!?! ::)

Just pulling your chain. I'm sure you have much better sense than them..  ;)
black walnut, cherry, SYP, southern magnolia, poplar, hemlock, osage orange, red oak, white oak, chestnut oak, black locust, english walnut, ERC, WP, hickory, ash, black birch, beech, honey locust, apple, white cedar, black oak, basswood(?), sassafras and a "Christmas tree" full of iron

Offline tree-farmer

• Hillbilly in the wild
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 07:30:43 pm »
I see the potential for a viral video....
Be safe buddy, old bodies don' t bounce very well. Helmet would be a good idea, chaps and elbow guards, along with steel toes might not hurt.... :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Offline Hilltop366

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 07:32:52 pm »
bubble wrap  ;D

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Converting your logs to lumber at my home or yours
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 09:01:01 pm »
Always wear a helmet.  You might also consider a mirror, 'mature' necks don't swivel as easier as those 'less mature' necks.
07 Timberking B-20, Custom-made log arch, 20' trailer w/ log loading arch, F350 SD flatbed dump.  Princeton piggy-back forklift.  Bobcat S250, Stihl 025C 16" and a Husqvarna 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer.
If you call and my wife says "He's sawin logs", I ain't snorin'.

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 10:02:34 pm »
  Will that fit on/in your RV? When I'm at the Delaware house I take a short ride nearly everyday.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 10:43:36 pm »
I'm planning on it Gary so it will go somewhere.   smiley_thumbsup

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 10:53:51 pm »
Lynn,

Congratulations. Enjoy it in good health but do seriously consider the plastic and foam helmets.

I worked a project in Kristiansand Norway 2007-2008. My wife took and LOA and joined me for a year of it. We both bought and rode bikes there as easier to get around and park than a car plus they had good bike paths.

Our Noggie daughter (Former exchange student we had hosted) gave Becky a device to attach so her German Shepherd we brought along could run beside her as she rode. It was like a big spring that absorbed the shock when the dog lunged sideways at a squirrel or did not notice Becky taking off. Attached a short lead to the spring. First time or two they both had a blast but I noticed Becky was not pedaling. Pretty quickly the dog figured that out and paced herself and let Becky power her own bike.

After Becky left I took about a 20 mile ride one Saturday. Was on a nice bike path beside the road when I hit an unnoticed patch of ice and suddenly, like slow motion, I was sliding along on my left hip  watching my bike sliding just ahead of me. Fortunately I was not seriously hurt nor was my bike and I got back on and returned home to soak in a hot tub for a while.

A co-worker from Greenville SC was less fortunate. He rode a bike to and from work daily. He had gotten good, he thought, at riding between the car guards (Off-set bars near car crossing to keep cars from accidentally turning on to the bike path) without slowing down. One afternoon a mile or so from the office Eval Kneival shot the gap on the downhill slope on the path but clipped the path and flipped end over end getting a concussion and a broken collarbone. A passing Noggie saw the accident and stopped and insisted on letting him take the guy to the local Sykehus (I love foreign words that make sense like calling the hospital a Sick House). They treated and released him but a day or two later I had to medivac him home for the extended recovery required. he never returned to the project. He was not wearing a helmet.

Again, congrats, enjoy and be careful

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 11:06:25 pm »
With all of those gears you could take it off the pavement on some of the seven miles of trails you have.  The bike should provide you some enjoyment and exercise.  Stay safe and post some pictures if you start popping wheelies, ramping it off a dock or just riding down the driveway.

Caveman

Online Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 07:20:02 am »
You're not going to turn into one of those guys who wear spandex pants and ride on winding country roads with no shoulder..... are you?!?! ::)

Just pulling your chain. I'm sure you have much better sense than them..  ;)

That would be my Son Wild Bill. He's a biker of another dimension than dear old Dad. Even has those funny clip in shoes.
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • made 70-10 and still feelin pretty darned good!
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 07:44:40 am »
Nice lookin bike.
Ride safe my friend.
One of the things I will miss the most about Florida is the enjoyable time spent on my Walmart special around the development, but my 79 yr old butt did get sore sometimes.
Great exercise.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo
241 acres of woodland

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 08:26:29 am »
OK, I have one of those streamlined goofy looking bike helmets but I have not figured out how to hook it to my butt since that is generally what I bust.   ::)

Offline paul case

• Senior Member x2
  • Original wearer of the PCM.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2017, 09:06:19 am »
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 09:16:25 am »
OK, I have one of those streamlined goofy looking bike helmets but I have not figured out how to hook it to my butt since that is generally what I bust.   ::)

You need one for each cheek. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline florida

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 10:29:27 am »
Looks like it may be too light to pull your mill, except maybe downhill!
General contractor and carpenter for 40 years.

Offline Savannahdan

• Supposed to be retired.
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 01:44:13 pm »
Magic, what you need in addition to the bike helmet is a pair of those tite-fitting pants that have the bum cushions built in.  You'll also get lots of looks from the ladies when you wear them.  I won't venture as to whether they'll laugh, cry, point, or look at you intently.  Have fun.
BTW, my oldest brother rides his bike about 24 miles every day and won't go without the helmet.  He crashed one time when he was doing his cool down spin in his neighborhood after one of the long rides.  His helmet was cracked and worthless at that point but he was fine other than cuts on his knees and elbows.
Lucas 10-30 Swingsaw Blade Mill, Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill