iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please help me with selecting a filing guide

Started by woodworker9, May 02, 2017, 03:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodworker9

I've been a reasonable frequent user of a chainsaw around my property for over 20 years now, but recently, I'm starting to get more serious, and I'm using a chainsaw a lot more, taking tree's down, cutting firewood, and bucking logs for the sawmill.  I'm also close to buying a larger property in Northern Wisconsin that's heavily wooded, and want to harvest logs off the property to aid in building a house and shop up there.

I just added a MS 461 yesterday, and have had a MS290 for about 20 years. 

Up to this point, I've just taken the time to file by hand.  Now that I'm needing to file several times each day that I'm cutting, I'd like to get a good roller guide.  I've watched several video's, and pro's seem to recommend one.

Which one is a good one to get for my Stihl saws, and do I need a different one for each size chain?  The 461 is 3/8, and the 290 is .325.  I've seen video's of the Husqvarna roller guide on video, but don't know if it'll work for my Stihl saws.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated to set this learning rookie straight.  Thanks.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Al_Smith

TSC sells guides that resemble the older style Oregon type which are better than what Oregon sells today .Around 8 dollars each .

Woodcutter_Mo

I don't have a whole lot of experience with file roller guides, but I do have one and this particular one (husqvarna 3/8) seems to only work well with a husqvarna 3/8 chain. It doesn't fit a .325 and doesn't seem to work well with a stihl brand chain (file sits too high on the cutter).

So from my experience is that this type works well but seems fairly chain specific.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Woodcutter_Mo

-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

ButchC

Out in the woods I like the flat plate type that Al Smith mentioned however I prefer the ones sold by Stihl with thumb screws to hold the file.  In the shop with the saw held in the big vise by the bar I prefer just a file over any filing "crutch " that I have ever tried.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Al_Smith

Those guides I mentioned do have the thumb screws ,the same style older Oregon guides used .Some time after Oregon made them they cheaped out and used the spring type clips which are worthless as teats on a boar hog .The danged things pop open .

I usually file free hand .Every so often though  I use the guides just to make certain all the angles are correct .

celliott

The husky roller guide should work on Stihl RS chain. I don't know about safety chain. Those guides come in two sizes. Blue is 3/8 and silver is .325, if nothing else get them for the depth gauges.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

CR888

With the price of some of the guides these days and the amount of sharpening you have to do, a grinder may be a good solution. Oregon style knockoffs are so cheap they are worth a thought. I know what I'd get if in your shoes.

woodworker9

Thanks for all the feedback, folks.  Right now, I'm leaning towards the Husqvarna, and thanks to "beenthere" for pointing me to a helpful small modification to get the Husqvarna brand roller guide to fit on Stihl chains.

I saw the availability of the new Stihl guide, FG4, but there are no user reviews anywhere that I have found yet, and it's also pricey as heck.  I'm a huge believer in cry once and buy quality tools, which is why I just dropped $1000 on a MS461 chainsaw, but I don't want to spend my hard earned bucks on an unknown quantity.

For $16 shipped, the husqvarna roller guide is worth having.  I've watched a couple of YouTube video's on it in use, and it seems to be what I'm after.  As stated, I'm doing this frequently enough to develop muscle memory quick enough, at least in my mind, to continue to do it by hand.  These chains are pretty expensive, and I'd rather have a one time expense on a guide that will keep me from doing a poor job, or worse, filing my chains.

Amazing to me that nobody has done a real comprehensive video with good closeups on using this type of tool, along with comparisons.  At least, I haven't found it yet. 

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: woodworker9 on May 03, 2017, 08:18:05 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, folks.  Right now, I'm leaning towards the Husqvarna, and thanks to "beenthere" for pointing me to a helpful small modification to get the Husqvarna brand roller guide to fit on Stihl chains.

I saw the availability of the new Stihl guide, FG4, but there are no user reviews anywhere that I have found yet, and it's also pricey as heck.  I'm a huge believer in cry once and buy quality tools, which is why I just dropped $1000 on a MS461 chainsaw, but I don't want to spend my hard earned bucks on an unknown quantity.

For $16 shipped, the husqvarna roller guide is worth having.  I've watched a couple of YouTube video's on it in use, and it seems to be what I'm after.  As stated, I'm doing this frequently enough to develop muscle memory quick enough, at least in my mind, to continue to do it by hand.  These chains are pretty expensive, and I'd rather have a one time expense on a guide that will keep me from doing a poor job, or worse, filing my chains.

Amazing to me that nobody has done a real comprehensive video with good closeups on using this type of tool, along with comparisons.  At least, I haven't found it yet.

This is the video that sold me on the Husqvarna roller guide https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WIBGJNFv29E
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

JRWoodchuck

I would love to know how to modify the Husqy roller guide. I really liked the look of it but thought it wouldn't fit Stihl chains!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: JRWoodchuck on May 03, 2017, 08:19:06 PM
I would love to know how to modify the Husqy roller guide. I really liked the look of it but thought it wouldn't fit Stihl chains!

Same here, I'd like mine to fit a stihl chain as well
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

woodworker9

I received a back channel message about it from another member.  I don't know if he wants me to mention him, so I will post a picture of what works for me to make it fit.  It involves filing a little metal off the guide to make it fit....doesn't sound all that complicated, but I cannot attest to it until after I get the gauge and do the deed.

In other words, once my gauge arrives (ordered online) and I figure it out and do the deed, I'll post on my findings.

Jeff :)

Grandpa

I use a Husky guide on Stihl chain. All you have to do is take 1 or 2 swipes with a flat file in the notches that slide over the chain. Don't take to much or the guide will be too loose on the chain which will mess up the angles. This is on 33rs and 35rs chain.

woodworker9

Thanks for adding your experience.  My plan all along was to go slow and take 1 or 2 swipes with the file and check for fit.  Glad to hear I don't need to break out the milling machine.... ;)

Grandpa

No need for a milling machine. :D While at least one guy on this forum gets carried away worrying about angles and has been known to examine his filing job with a magnifying glass :-X  It's still just a chainsaw chain.

bladerunner

husky roller guides work well, mine has a built in depth gauge, but it's chain specific

something i found at a garage sale, was only $5, and works well on any chain
once you set the angles to the dangles and fasten it to the bar, you just slide the chain for next tooth to be sharpened
then flip it over for the other side

it's just placed on the bar for piccy purpose...

[img width=650 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/ae188/funnies_bucket/IMG_2903_zpslxhm5y8p.jpg[/img]

bladerunner

well, i suppose ya gotta use your imagination
it's a filing guide made in italy, and it's quite sexy in ferrari red  ;D

khntr85

Get the granberg clamp on guide....it will also help build muscle memerory....plus you can use different angle combinations (Oregon calls for 10 degree tilt in their chisel chain)....

Remember to drop down a file size as the chain wears past the half-way point or so...

And lastly yes it's just a "chainsaw chain", but a correctly sharpened chain is the best "modification" you can do for a saw!!!

CTYank

Another vote for Granberg "File-N-Joint", been using the same one since the late-'70s. You just use a file of diameter for the particular chain. Super-easy to keep chains shaving-sharp, or set depth-gauges precisely. NT currently has best price. I routinely carry one wherever I go with a saw. A cheapie stump-vise can help make things simple for you. A 5/32", 3/16" & 7/32" round and a 6" flat file, and you're covered.

If you have clues as to what you're doing filing chains, you can toss their "directions" and wing-it pretty easily. Tip: use a Sharpie to mark the first cutter you file. Files seem to last a long time with one.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!