iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy an international s7 skidder

Started by ihsnipe2, May 01, 2017, 11:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ihsnipe2

Just joined the group.  I have a 1964 international s-7 skidder that is in rough shape.  I salvaged it from the scrap yard with an ih d-188 engine.  Engine was missing major pieces and I repowered it with a Nissan sd22 diesel engine.  That runs great.  The steering is a bear when oil warms up and can't fight against the solid axles. Also the gearmatic model 9 winch brake slips even after a full rebuild.  Looking to buy another with a 353 Detroit and improved steering. Found one in New Hampshire for $8000. Looking to spend a little less.

tacks Y

Saw a running one at auction last fall for less than that. Why not fix the steering on the one you have? Weak hydraulics?

coxy

mike_belben

Youre probably seeing a loss of pressure from either increased leakage through the pump gears as fluid thins.. Or a tank full of rubbish climbing up to the sump screen.

Step ONE!  Put on a pressure gage and operate, take notes. 

2.clean sump screen, retest.

3. Check temps with IR gun.  Wherever your highest temp is, thats your leakage spot. Flow over a valve seat generates heat

Many a "shot pump" has been fixed by taking that chunk of O-ring out of the relief valve. 

Doesnt hurt to turn the relief up.  May just be a weak spring or rusty seat.  Several times ive been able to clean a rusty relief valve seat by grinding the right taper on a drill and running it backwards to relap with some compound.  I chuck poppet valves in a drill and run them against a file then sandpaper to put a clean face on them. 
Praise The Lord

ihsnipe2

The problem with the hydraulics is that it is one pump with dual outlet controlled by a priority valve.  I have cleaned all the valves in the pump and remove and clean screen in tank. ..it was plugged added scotch brite pad to screen to give it more area before plugging. No help pump will squeal relief valve when lifting blade and throttle up. Just won't give enough steering while pulling a hitch. Also winch was abused and busted in half.  Was welded back together and I rebuilt it. Brake band won't hold a hitch.  4 grand for another or just buy a whole skidder!

coxy

ihsnipe2

Gearmatic model 9. Can't find parts for it but can for a model 19! Don't know if the brake band are the same or not. Also bands are $380 each times 2! Also everyone talking about ih skidder says most people have a spare machine for parts.  So why noy do the same? 

coxy

19 bands are way bigger than a 9 try PBH in N.H they may have them 

Remle

Quote from: ihsnipe2 on May 07, 2017, 11:47:10 PM
The problem with the hydraulics is that it is one pump with dual outlet controlled by a priority valve.  I have cleaned all the valves in the pump and remove and clean screen in tank. ..it was plugged added scotch brite pad to screen to give it more area before plugging. No help pump will squeal relief valve when lifting blade and throttle up. Just won't give enough steering while pulling a hitch. Also winch was abused and busted in half.  Was welded back together and I rebuilt it. Brake band won't hold a hitch.  4 grand for another or just buy a whole skidder!
IMHO you are starving the pump of oil by installing the added scotch brite pad to screen to give it more area before plugging. If the oil is not contaminated you do not need the extra filtration, remove it. Check the hdy pressure as others suggest, if okay you still have a blockage/ leak in the steering/motor or system..

ihsnipe2

Tried to buy the ih s-7b listed as for sale in New Hampshire but they won't contact me for the purchase.  So I bought a beautiful s-8b instead. 

treeslayer2003

Breithaupts

How does the S7 or 8 compare to  Garrett 15, 21, or 21 A?  I know the 21 s have the model 19 winch, but what do the S7's and 8's weigh?  On the S7, is it a belt driven, or driveline hydro pump?  I just bought a 21 A for $9,500, but worth every penny!  man am I tickled.  Don't mean to gloat...I'm sure we can put our heads together and figure out your issues...I mean with the skidder of course...haha  John B

Thank You Sponsors!