iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cell phone reception

Started by chet, December 14, 2004, 07:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

To put it real mildly, cell phone reception in most of da U.P. really stinks.     :'(

Tonight I was watching a documentary on TV about a kayak trip down the Yangtze River Tibet,China. Well this guy takes out his cell phone and makes a call from a mile deep in this gorge hundreds of miles from nowhere.  :o   It ain't fair.  >:(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

etat

HA.  I know the answer to this one.  Heck, according to my emails yesterday I had a bunch of em for sale on ebay.  Satellite Phone.  All ya need is a clear line of sight to the sky.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

chet

That must be it.  ::)  Too many leafy trees in da way in da summer, and nuttin' but snow in da air in da winter.   :-/
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

CHARLIE

It's cause y'all don't eat grits in the U.P.  If you did, you'd probably get better cell phone reception. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

sprucebunny

If enough people lived there or visited, they'd build another tower. But if there were that many people around, would you like it as much?
I know when I've gotten to an area I'll probably like when the cell phone DON"T work ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Tom

Sometimes that logic don't work.  We are out in the sticks and the local government moved the Radio Control model plane field out here because it was bothering people in town.  Logic explanation = we put it out there where there is nobody to bother.

Same with the landfilll
same with the temorary dump site from the hurricane (that stuff will be here in 3000 I'll bet.
Same with the juvenile detention facility (those inmates came from core city)

Then you try to burn a stump and theh fire department shows up with a $50 dollar fine. "you can't have open fires in the city".  (the county and city are consolidated)

Cell reception?  nope!  we don't have that either.

The wife got cable and Broadband installed.  Man she's a manipulator.  

slowzuki

We have some big holes in cell coverage here when you use portables.  Guys with the old analog units in there trucks with a big whip are laughing though with their 5 watts and big antenna.  

We were broken down in an area with no coverage on our new fangled digital phones when an old government truck drives by and hands us his 1988 vintage handset out the window!

GF

I like the are coverage maps the cell phone providers show on there websites.  My cell phone coverage area I live in is completely covered with digital along with GSM.  

Digital would work is most of the coverage area they cover but alot of dead zones including my house located on top of a hill in the coverage area.  :-/  Seen them bragging about GSM and raising the bars, area coverge show my area also, got a GSM it worse than the digital coverage.  

Glad my office job supplies the phones and service, at least that cannot reach me when I am at home since I'm on 24/7 oncall.  :D :D.  Sometimes dont really understand it but my pager works fine at my house. :-/ :-/, thats why is has a dead battery in it  :D :D.

OneWithWood

Well there, Chet.  We have sumpthin else in common  :o :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pasbuild

We would have GREAT reception in da UP ifin the state police would rent tower space on there brand new ( out dated ) tower system, heck there sooooo close to one another U can see two at a time.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Avalancher

What really chaps my hide is that apparently cell companies dont share towers. I have a tower 200 yards from the house, and we are dead in the water here for reception. When I asked my cell company why that is, the said that it isnt there tower. Now why dont these companies share towers? It seems like it would be to everyones advantage. Better coverage for everyone, less expense for the cell companies,and we wouldnt have a jillion of these dog gone towers spring up everywhere.
Think if long distance phone companies didnt share the same wires, we would have a bundle of wires coming down every street the size of an elephant, and we would all be unable to afford long distance anyway

chet

Our cell phone provider has an office in town. They have what they call a base station booster, without it they have no reception.   :-[

Percy

Speakin of reception, the one at my little sisters wedding(Josie) was awesome ;D ;D ;D

On the cell phone thing, Im just amazed at these things. I kinda hatem for what they do to my/your life but that aside, the technology is amazing, Ida thought they would have run out frequecies by now, sheesh. These things are selling like hotcakes with no end in sight. No party lines yet.... ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

isawlogs

We have the same problemes herewith the dead zones , our municipal police two different types of radios in there cars to be able to stay in contact through out the area that they cover.
  I still have an analog phone for the beter reception tried the digital and the receptiom on it was real bad , got to me real bad  >:( so I got real mad at it and trough it out the Dang window  ;D went back to phone comp. and got my analog back on line , it might not be as compact as those tiny litle digital phones , it might not have internet conection , it might not be able to take pictures but the Dang thing works when you need it to ;D ;D :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

ksu_chainsaw

In the middle of nowhere, they are probablly using a satellite phone.  Over here, there are 2 main companies, Thuraya and Irridium.  Most of the phones we see are the Thuraya phones.  The only problem with them is that the calls cost $1 per minute.  Thats a big bite out of the pocket of whoever is using them.  But, we can go anywhere, and get reception with them.
http://www.thuraya.com/
We also use a local cell phone system, and it really sucks, but for $.39 per minute, you get what you pay for.

Charles

Thank You Sponsors!