iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cheap gothic arch solar kiln

Started by grouch, April 30, 2017, 01:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChugiakTinkerer

I think even I understand your evil plan now.  Might the lumber pile offer too much resistance to get good flow?  I suppose there's at least one way to find out...
Woodland Mills HM130

Darrel

Quote from: grouch on June 27, 2017, 02:45:50 PM
Quote from: Darrel on June 27, 2017, 02:29:37 PM
I've read reply number 45 several times and I'm just not going to read it anymore because every time I read it I become more clueless as to what Grouch has in mind. Then I read reply number 46, sounded good to me. Then when I read reply number 47, the grouch kinda put the kibosh on that.

Now I'm sittin here with this big grin on my face anxiously waiting to see what happens next!

:)

Bwahaha! My evil plan is working! Today, Darrel, tomorrow THE WORLD!!1

Let me see if I can make this more confusing. Take a big funnel. Lay it on its side and fill the throat with lumber (properly stickered, of course) such that the ends of the boards are even with the narrow end of the funnel.

Put the whole thing into a jug whose opening is the same size as the big end of the funnel. Cut some narrow slits in the side of the big jug near ground level. Air can get into the jug through those slits, but can only get out by coming out the funnel (backwards to the way a funnel is normally used).

Hang a big sheet over the big end of the funnel so you can control how fast air gets to come out. The heating of the air between jug and funnel throat is what drives air flow.

Well why didn't you say so?!? ;D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

grouch

You mean you're no longer confused?

Curses; foiled again! Should've kept quiet.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, so the lumber I put in there has just been baking at whatever temp it gets to in there. The end is not sealed but there's nothing to force the exhaust air to pass through the stack. It could be warping the wood and growing mold in the center by now.

Need to get a meat thermometer with a remote probe or two.

Find something to do that interests you.

Kbeitz

Look on E-bay...
They sell a Thermometer Hygrometer meter for under $10.00

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

grouch

Quote from: Kbeitz on June 29, 2017, 06:29:38 PM
Look on E-bay...

Thanks! That oughta do it. Ebay doesn't like me, though. Might be because I haven't logged in and bought anything there in ten years or so.

Kbeitz

Quote from: grouch on June 30, 2017, 05:58:09 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on June 29, 2017, 06:29:38 PM
Look on E-bay...

Thanks! That oughta do it. Ebay doesn't like me, though. Might be because I haven't logged in and bought anything there in ten years or so.

Amazon also sells it for $9.99.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

grouch

You're a procurement officer. Thanks Kbeitz!

grouch

This experiment has failed as of this morning.

The relatively weak remnants of Hurricane Harvey moved through here last night and dumped 6 inches of rain with some wind gusts up to about 25 - 30 mph. (Nothing severe for us). The plastic covering the ridge line of the kiln apparently lost its plasticizers and split. Rain poured in through the resulting hole of a little over 1 foot wide by 10 feet long. It looked fine yesterday.

I had been 'counting my chickens before they're hatched' just a few days ago when I checked the boards in the kiln. They seemed dry enough that I was planning how to build some free-standing cabinets with doors from the maple. This morning I looked to the kiln in the field, in the slow, gentle rain, and it just looked odd.

I put on my rain suit and pulled an old blue plastic tarp over the whole thing. It's now a leaky shed.

The outer covering of clear vinyl at the ridge is very brittle and crumbling. The inner wall of black polyethylene is also brittle and breaking up. The outer covering on the sides is still flexible. The closer to the ridge, the more brittle the plastic. This seems a pretty clear indication to me that the plastics I chose are not suitable for the temperatures attained.

I will try again.

Darrel

Sad!

Good luck with the re-do.  8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

grouch

Thanks Darrel. Need to figure out best covering for the ridge where all the heat piles up.

Thank You Sponsors!