The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: cheap gothic arch solar kiln  (Read 2666 times)

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
Re: cheap gothic arch solar kiln
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 10:18:05 pm »
Didn't get much time to work on it today, but I did make some clamps.

Those are clamps. Trust me.

The wooden parts are 1/2 x 1-1/2 x 8 inches oak with 1/4 inch holes bored 1 inch and 4 inches from each end, centered (eyeballed) across the width. 1/4-20 x 3 bolts go in the holes.

Part of the frustration of drilling and screwing the oak strips to the tubing is getting them to stay still and flat on that rounded surface. These clamps make that easier.

The space between the end bolt and that one shoved through the middle holes is 2-3/4 inches. Tube + 2 oak strips is 2-1/2 inches. Put the clamp on, yank the tails to take up the slack, and the friction of the side pieces is usually enough to hold everything in place.

Where the strips try to slide over to one side, just put a nut on the bolt in the middle and tighten both until it lines up:

Sorry about the focus. These cobbled-up clamps hold the strips centered over the tube so a C-clamp or bar clamp can also be used without slipping off the side.

Offline Jemclimber

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 09:23:16 am »
Thanks!  Nice project, thanks for the very descriptive pics!!!
lt15

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 01:21:27 pm »
The good news is that it's ready for plastic.

The bad news is my wife saw it with the oak strips on it and said, "Oh, that would make a really nice greenhouse!" (Darrel jinxed me).

Been grabbing a little time here and there to get the oak strips screwed on. Had to take time to cut a bunch more. I sawed these from what would otherwise be junk boards, so it's been piecemeal. Probably should be pine for stapling, but the only pine I have is bought dimensional lumber.

Used a ratchet tie-down strap to pull things together before screwing the strips to the girts.

The ridge was the most fiddly. Didn't have the arches spaced evenly, either, so I had to mess with pushing and pulling them in place in spite of Duck tape that's been cooked on.

Had more time today to work on it than any since first raising it. Clouds went away and the sun chased me in.

Speaking of the sun -- it clears the trees by 7 am but doesn't hit the arches until 8. I may have to move this thing out in an open field before loading it with lumber.

Offline Savannahdan

• Supposed to be retired.
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 03:51:50 pm »
Sure is going to be a nice greenhouse!  I'm sure the wife will cook you an extra large serving of burgoo stew and maybe a derby pie.
Lucas 10-30 Swingsaw Blade Mill, Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 04:23:59 pm »
The good news is that it's ready for plastic.

The bad news is my wife saw it with the oak strips on it and said, "Oh, that would make a really nice greenhouse!" (Darrel jinxed me).

All I can say is that you had better get your drone forwarder fired up and sticker stacking lumber in there before your wife comes back loaded down with flower pots and the like.  :D D D D D
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 04:28:47 pm »
Hmph. She'll more likely give me lunch meats and chips until she has a greenhouse that looks like this. She had my son and I running out into the boonies 40 miles away to bring home a dinky HF greenhouse she found on craigslist for $25 (about a tenth what they sell for new). I told her that was too much, but she had to have it. It was almost intact and complete, but even she agrees it wasn't worth the time or gas. She just stores flower pots in it now.

If this doesn't get hot enough for a kiln, I'll just rip the black plastic off the inside and move it where ever she wants it.

If it does work, I'll still have to build one for her. ;)

All I can say is that you had better get your drone forwarder fired up and sticker stacking lumber in there before your wife comes back loaded down with flower pots and the like.  :D D D D D

Troublemaker! It's all your fault.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 03:49:06 pm »
I couldn't stand it. There was sunlight hiding behind the corner of the barn in the morning and behind a cedar tree late in the afternoon. So I loaded up my trap and I moved to sunny fields.

Cedar tree had to give the sun trap a little goodbye hug:

Hmm. Maybe I should put my mill in that, put canvas over it and go mobile. Think the D.O.T. would be thrilled to see me?

Guess it would need either Conestoga wagon wheels or Michigan Logging Wheels instead of those dinky 12s.

It will be hotter to put the plastic on there, but the whole idea is to capture heat. There was too much getting away where it was before.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 05:59:27 pm »
For your sake (and mine too), I hope it is far enough away and hot enough so that your wife will leave it alone. Then my jinxing will be counteracted and I will once again be able to sleep at night.
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 09:32:44 pm »
It should be hot enough where it's at. But you don't get off that easy. She saw where I parked it and said, "Is that for me?"

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 11:34:31 pm »
DanG
1992 LT40HD

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 04:23:45 pm »
Between thunder showers and thunder storms passing through today, I managed to block the contraption up at the 4 corners and get the trailer out. The lowest corner is sitting on a dry stack of concrete blocks 3 layers high. That's 22-1/2 inches. I measured the height of the engine on a push mower and it's 17 inches. I should be able to keep the grass under the platform mowed so that if this thing is a complete flop, I can take it down and not have a big bare spot in the field.

Looking at it, I'm wondering if maybe a better design would be to have semi-circular arches oriented north-south. The north end of the half cylinder would be elevated to an angle matching the latitude. The platform on which the lumber is stacked would remain level. The inner wall of the half cylinder would be black and the outer wall transparent. From sunrise to sunset, the sun's rays would be nearly perpendicular to that inner wall -- passive tracking.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 04:30:45 pm »
Oh, almost forgot.

For your sake (and mine too), I hope it is far enough away and hot enough so that your wife will leave it alone. Then my jinxing will be counteracted and I will once again be able to sleep at night.

Sleep easy, Darrel. I'm sitting here eating a t-bone steak. If she's gonna try to butter me up to get that kiln for a greenhouse, I may owe you.  ;D

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 07:12:06 pm »
Oh, almost forgot.

Sleep easy, Darrel. I'm sitting here eating a t-bone steak. If she's gonna try to butter me up to get that kiln for a greenhouse, I may owe you.  ;D

Now I can enjoy my BBQ chicken and sleep. Thanks.
1992 LT40HD

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2017, 02:26:12 pm »
The sun trap has settled into its new nest in the field.

Up on blocks and the little trailer out from under it:

Got so hot while I was working on it that I decided to add some shade:

See those clouds in the background? Knew it was too hot. Had to go release that big blue sail because nothing anchors that contraption to the ground.

Following the wind came the rain:

There are squirrels who travel across my garage, through a redbud tree to the right, into and then down the walnut tree just left of center, and across the ground to a bird feeder hanging in a grapevine at the left edge of that photo. The little black dog thinks it is his duty to get the squirrels. He outran 1 so far and is determined to get the rest.

After the off-and-on showers, nice and cool this morning:

Such artistry! People pay big money to see wrinkles like those, don't they?
The black plastic was kind of raggedy so I put it on in 3 strips, eliminating the biggest tears.

Don't know if these ~3/4 inch holes will be significant or not:

And it was clouding up as I came in for lunch, so...

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2017, 11:47:53 pm »
I screwed up. Got two rolls of 6 mil plastic, 10 ft (ha!) x 25 ft, but they are closer to white than clear. Don't have any confidence in them being more transparent to IR than they are to visible light, so I ordered a 54 inch x 75 ft roll of plastic that's reputed to be clear as glass. ~$60.

"Cheap" just keeps getting whittled away. I think I'm going to be close to $300 for about 500 cubic feet of enclosed space.

Well, there are other things that can be done while waiting for delivery. I'll just have to keep that tarp on until then. It got hot in there very quickly in spite of cool breezes and cloudy sky.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2017, 12:34:13 pm »
Need to bring this up to date. Will post photos later.

Hit 128F by 11:11 am this morning. Had to rescue my remote temp probe because it's only rated for 120F. Was 76F in the shade at the time. The outside layer of clear plastic doesn't even come all the way down -- it's open to the outside -- so it is heating even with sucking outside air into the space between layers of plastic.

Now I need to worry about it melting the black polyethylene, which is drooping really badly right now.

More later.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 09:49:14 am »
Switching from barely translucent polyethylene plastic at 10 ft wide to very clear vinyl at 54 inches wide required some changes.

The only long (about 14 ft) 2x6 I was able to salvage from my stinky oak had to be sacrificed to make tack strips for the narrower plastic.

This little critter was waiting when I pulled the tarp off:

Treefrogs don't need to be cooked in a kiln, so I moved him to an old apple tree.

Each tack strip is let in so that meant more pilot holes and screws. I cut the notches with a hacksaw to keep from dulling any teeth on a wood saw. Mark, drill x 2, screw x 2, cut, clamp, drill, screw, and repeat for 4 strips on 3 arches.

Weather made it more appropriate to work overnight.

That black plastic on the ridge is there to keep the raw edges from wearing through the clear plastic when it gets installed.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2017, 10:06:13 am »
In the light of day:

Those tack strips were too thin to be spanning 5 ft and holding plastic flapping in the breeze, so I added strongbacks to them, swiped from my too-small pile of stickers.

Ok, so it's not a real consistent cut. It made 'em stiff enough for the job.

There's a bit of figure in that oak:

Wish I could've salvaged enough to make something pretty from it.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2017, 10:25:41 am »
The roll of clear plastic was sold as "4 gauge". I have no idea what gauge they use (US Steel? Brown and Sharp? AWG? Railroad?) but it feels like about 4 mil (whatever that is).

I got it through Amazon. It arrived from:

Clear enough for me:

My tack strips are on 48 inch centers. The plastic is 54 inches. Gives me 6 inches for folding to reinforce where it gets stapled. So, fold it under 1-1/2 inches along each edge, then double it over to make it 3/4 inch wide, that makes for sandwiching the plastic with 2 layers above and 1 below for stapling.

Heavy dew:

I sprinkled the staples pretty heavily:

Putting the plastic on in the cool of night keeps from having it sag too much in the heat of day.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2017, 02:28:44 pm »
Not caught up yet. :(

Folding the plastic. It was about this time I realized I could count on the lines on the green paper backing and not have to use a permanent marker to draw a 1-1/2 inch border.

2nd fold:

2 layers of heavy tape where the plastic gets stapled to the center arch:

Conestoga wagon needs wheels.