The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: cheap gothic arch solar kiln  (Read 2359 times)

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
Re: cheap gothic arch solar kiln
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2017, 02:40:07 pm »
Black plastic. Old vampire rushing to stay ahead of the sun.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2017, 03:11:33 pm »
It may be a bit unconventional but it will get hot, and you'll soon know how hot.
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2017, 04:48:32 am »
It may be a bit unconventional but it will get hot, and you'll soon know how hot.

Yep. It hit 128F by 11 am one morning. That was with the outside layer incomplete; it had and has about 6 - 8 inches open to the outside all along the bottom of each side.

I still haven't loaded it with lumber, though. Stuff keeps eating up time.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2017, 03:30:44 pm »
Oops. Forgot to post the photos of closing the ends ahead of some rain. This was June 5. That was the day it hit 128F and I had to run and rescue my 120F rated remote temperature sensor. Rain rolled in shortly thereafter.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2017, 03:47:16 pm »
After that bout of rain, I spent 2 (partial) days in the hot sun (off and on, between spells of panting in the shade) loading that thing with what lumber I have on hand. Then it turned cool and rained until today.

The sag was just right for unloading.

That load didn't fill it very much.

Thoughtful old Dodge kept rising to make it easy to unload.

2nd load.

Rarin' to go.

Needs about 3 more loads, but I don't have 'em.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2017, 04:04:52 pm »
Somewhere around here, GeneWengert-WoodDoc pointed out that convection alone is never going to move enough air to dry a stack of lumber in a solar kiln. My original intention was to have intake flaps along the floor in that inner wall black plastic, and exhaust flaps at the ridge. The idea was to use a chimney / venturi effect to increase air flow. I don't think that would work simply because the temperature differential between floor and ridge is going to decrease as the whole thing heats up. Serendipity may have come to the rescue.

Those gaps in the outside plastic at about floor level suck in outside air, heat it up on its way up the wall, and blast it into the kiln at the ridge. If I understand correctly, the elevated moisture capacity of the heated air is the key to using it to dry the lumber. Moving that heated air through the lumber stack sucks the moisture from the wood, and then you have to get rid of it without putting it back into the wood.

I'm going to try making the lumber stack the muffler in the exhaust system. I'll drape plastic over the stack like a blanket, with the edge just even with the end of the stack nearest the closed, west end of the arches. The sides will be sort of tucked in. The other end of the plastic will be loosely draped over the foot of the lumber stack, then the edge brought up and stapled to the east end arch. A second sheet of plastic will go over that end, also. This makes the lumber stack the only way for air to exit the kiln. That's where I'll monitor the temperature.

The path then becomes: Ambient temperature air enters through that gap at the base of the outside wall, gets heated between the clear outer wall and black inner wall, passes into the kiln at the ridge, mucks and mills around inside looking for the exit, then gets crowded through the lumber stack to exhaust to the outside at the east end near the floor, if the outer end plastic there isn't closed up to force more heating.

Being a hobbyist and not depending on this lumber to pay the bills, I can experiment like this.

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2017, 06:00:22 pm »
Check out E-bay for solar powered camper fans...

Collector and builder of many things.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill
and a bunch of new forum friends.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2017, 02:12:26 pm »
Check out E-bay for solar powered camper fans...

Thanks, but that's too conventional. :)

All the wind in the world, from gentle breezes to monster hurricanes, comes from just sunlight. I want to avoid converting light to electricity to convert to rotary motion via an electro-mechanical device to make wind.

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2017, 02:29:37 pm »
I've read reply number 45 several times and I'm just not going to read it anymore because every time I read it I become more clueless as to what Grouch has in mind. Then I read reply number 46, sounded good to me. Then when I read reply number 47, the grouch kinda put the kibosh on that.

Now I'm sittin here with this big grin on my face anxiously waiting to see what happens next!

:)
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 02:45:50 pm »
I've read reply number 45 several times and I'm just not going to read it anymore because every time I read it I become more clueless as to what Grouch has in mind. Then I read reply number 46, sounded good to me. Then when I read reply number 47, the grouch kinda put the kibosh on that.

Now I'm sittin here with this big grin on my face anxiously waiting to see what happens next!

Bwahaha! My evil plan is working! Today, Darrel, tomorrow THE WORLD!!1

Let me see if I can make this more confusing. Take a big funnel. Lay it on its side and fill the throat with lumber (properly stickered, of course) such that the ends of the boards are even with the narrow end of the funnel.

Put the whole thing into a jug whose opening is the same size as the big end of the funnel. Cut some narrow slits in the side of the big jug near ground level. Air can get into the jug through those slits, but can only get out by coming out the funnel (backwards to the way a funnel is normally used).

Hang a big sheet over the big end of the funnel so you can control how fast air gets to come out. The heating of the air between jug and funnel throat is what drives air flow.

Offline ChugiakTinkerer

• I'm new!
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2017, 04:55:42 pm »
I think even I understand your evil plan now.  Might the lumber pile offer too much resistance to get good flow?  I suppose there's at least one way to find out...
Woodland Mills HM130

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 12:15:17 am »

Bwahaha! My evil plan is working! Today, Darrel, tomorrow THE WORLD!!1

Let me see if I can make this more confusing. Take a big funnel. Lay it on its side and fill the throat with lumber (properly stickered, of course) such that the ends of the boards are even with the narrow end of the funnel.

Put the whole thing into a jug whose opening is the same size as the big end of the funnel. Cut some narrow slits in the side of the big jug near ground level. Air can get into the jug through those slits, but can only get out by coming out the funnel (backwards to the way a funnel is normally used).

Hang a big sheet over the big end of the funnel so you can control how fast air gets to come out. The heating of the air between jug and funnel throat is what drives air flow.

Well why didn't you say so?!? ;D
1992 LT40HD

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 07:39:04 pm »
You mean you're no longer confused?

Curses; foiled again! Should've kept quiet.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, so the lumber I put in there has just been baking at whatever temp it gets to in there. The end is not sealed but there's nothing to force the exhaust air to pass through the stack. It could be warping the wood and growing mold in the center by now.

Need to get a meat thermometer with a remote probe or two.

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2017, 06:29:38 pm »
Look on E-bay...
They sell a Thermometer Hygrometer meter for under $10.00

I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2017, 05:58:09 pm »
Look on E-bay...

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Thanks! That oughta do it. Ebay doesn't like me, though. Might be because I haven't logged in and bought anything there in ten years or so.

Offline Kbeitz

• Senior Member x2
  • Never enough time...
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2017, 07:36:57 pm »
Look on E-bay...

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Thanks! That oughta do it. Ebay doesn't like me, though. Might be because I haven't logged in and bought anything there in ten years or so.

Amazon also sells it for $9.99.
I have a
machine shop
Wood work shop
And a Weld shop
And now a saw mill

Offline grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2017, 04:15:46 pm »
You're a procurement officer. Thanks Kbeitz!