iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forest thinning

Started by bodagocreek2, April 28, 2017, 02:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bodagocreek2

what exactly does thinning the woods mean? I have to thin 80 acres.

Texas Ranger

Take out enough timber to justify the cut, and leave the best growth potential for a future better income cut.  A forester would help a bunch, they can tell you what you have, how much to thin, what the going value would be and set up a long term management plan.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

CJennings

It depends on what's needed. There's a fine line between thinning too little for improved growth and too much, leaving the remaining trees vulnerable to windthrow or reduction in quality (due to epicormics on hardwood, and excessive limb retention on softwood though softwoods can be pruned for quality). It can take multiple entries to accomplish a thinning if the height to diameter ratio is too far off for a full thinning at once. Gradually opening an excessively dense and tall stand can reduce losses to wind. You also want to focus on removing the junk trees and retaining quality. A thinning may or may not be a commercial thinning. You may have to pay out of pocket for it.

bodagocreek2

Thanks for the replies. The land is in MFL and I have to thin every five years.

Texas Ranger

There is no "have to thin every 5 years".  Timber is a bank account, drawing interest in growth.  If market is bad, or the stand has not responded to the last thinning, delay the thinning.  It depends a lot on soil productivity, market, and market source.  Right now we almost have to give away first thinnings, so the balance here is do we need to cut for growth now, or wait till the price comes up some?  That depends on original planting spacing.  Lots of consideration in planting, growing, thinning and harvesting pine.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

CJennings

Thinning every 5 years is not really a good plan for timber management. It may need a thinning or it may not. Thinning when it doesn't need one is a bad idea. Excessive thinning takes out potential future crop trees and opens a stand too much reducing timber quality. As I stated above it can lead to wind issues too. if your timber all blows down it's a loss.

Claybraker

Quote from: bodagocreek2 on April 30, 2017, 09:34:55 AM
Okay, I just googled MFL, (Managed Forest Land, ) so the correct answer is going to be up to the local DNR Forester,  or possibly the CPW if I'm reading everything correctly. I saw this on the DNR site which was somewhat encouraging, otherwise it could be  a real nightmare. "Landowners and their local DNR Forester may adjust management plans as stand conditions, knowledge on woodland management, and landowner objectives change."

All I had to do to get a tax break was go to the tax assessor's office, fill out a form, I'm good to go for 10 years down here.  Wisconsin looks like a major bureaucratic nightmare.

Ron Scott

Quote from: Claybraker on April 30, 2017, 09:02:13 PM
Quote from: bodagocreek2 on April 30, 2017, 09:34:55 AM
Okay, I just googled MFL, (Managed Forest Land, ) so the correct answer is going to be up to the local DNR Forester,  or possibly the CPW if I'm reading everything correctly. I saw this on the DNR site which was somewhat encouraging, otherwise it could be  a real nightmare. "Landowners and their local DNR Forester may adjust management plans as stand conditions, knowledge on woodland management, and landowner objectives change."

All I had to do to get a tax break was go to the tax assessor's office, fill out a form, I'm good to go for 10 years down here.  Wisconsin looks like a major bureaucratic nightmare.

Yes, Forestry is not an exact science and scheduling the implementation of the Management Plan activities may change based on new information, knowledge, conditions, etc. Also as the landowner, you have the final say and thinning every 5 years may be a little excessive.
~Ron

Claybraker

All I know about Wisconsin is that's where the cheese for my grits comes from.  From my reading, if the plan used to enroll in  MFL calls for a thinning every 5 years, then that's what you have to do, or risk being kicked out with substantial tax penalties. Plans run for 25 or even 50 years. Maybe someone with knowledge of Wisconsin can help out the OP. Hopefully there is some flexibility in implementation and they will accept other practices like release or TSI.

Thank You Sponsors!