iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree i.d.

Started by Bigc1989, April 27, 2017, 11:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigc1989

Help identifying this tree please? ??? Thanks in advance! O yea i can get other pics if you need them.

TKehl

Reminds me of Hickory the way the leaves are coming out.  Really just a guess there.

Have a picture of the trunk bark?
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WDH

Bark pic will help.  Also, a close-up pic of the twig and bud with emerging leaves.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bigc1989

I will get more pics tomorrow. My mom said kind of looked like a nut tree(she saw the twig) but she doesnt know that much about identifying trees so maybe the hickory though.

WDH

The short shoots tilt towards blackgum :).  The leaves look like simple leaves, ruling out the compound leaf hickory. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DelawhereJoe

Looks kinda like twigs and baby leaves from a sassafras tree.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Bigc1989

Hopefully these pictures are better.

Thanks again!

curdog

Aaaand WDH  for the win... 8). I wouldn't have got that from the original picture....

WDH

Yes Sir.  It was the short shoots that gave it away, good old blackgum.  Spiral grain and all  :)

DelawhereJoe

1st, 3rd and 4th pick are black gum 2nd still looks like sassafras to me, with the smooth green new bark.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Bigc1989

They are all the same tree. Actually the bark pic is different tree but still the same kind. Ive only found 3 of these in my woods, they are all right next to each other. Thanks for figuring it out for me!  ;D

WDH

Sassafras twig would be very bright green down here.  Some of the leaves would be lobed.  Bark would be cinnamon brown, not gray. 

Don P

Quote from: Bigc1989 on April 29, 2017, 09:18:47 PM
They are all the same tree. Actually the bark pic is different tree but still the same kind. Ive only found 3 of these in my woods, they are all right next to each other. Thanks for figuring it out for me!  ;D

Look down, I'll bet you have a hundred babies on the way  :)

Aidas Survila

This is surely Blackgum. Noticed it by the bark.

Thank You Sponsors!