Sponsors:

Towing vehicle for LT40HD

Started by Rickcnc, April 27, 2017, 10:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FloridaMike

What's a "Burb", a big Suburban?
Mike

TKehl

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

whatwas

Rickcnc,
as a fellow ontario-ian, the bad news is you can't exceed 4500 kg GVW (approx 9500 lbs) .
Thats the combined weight of tow vehicle, trailer, load, and whatever you ate for breakfast. If you exceed that you need a commercial licence and a yellow sticker on your truck and trailer (annual safety) also look at the GVW capacity sticker on your drivers door, it might spoil your day with  a ranger. It doesn't matter what brakes, lights, trailer ball or anything else, don't exceed 4500 kgs
I'm only saying this from a very expensive experience  I had with a very young , O.P.P officer recently. >:(
life is good

Rickcnc

Quote from: whatwas on April 30, 2017, 06:26:16 PM
Rickcnc,
as a fellow ontario-ian, the bad news is you can't exceed 4500 kg GVW (approx 9500 lbs) .
Thats the combined weight of tow vehicle, trailer, load, and whatever you ate for breakfast. If you exceed that you need a commercial licence and a yellow sticker on your truck and trailer (annual safety) also look at the GVW capacity sticker on your drivers door, it might spoil your day with  a ranger. It doesn't matter what brakes, lights, trailer ball or anything else, don't exceed 4500 kgs
I'm only saying this from a very expensive experience  I had with a very young , O.P.P officer recently. >:(

Yes.. The rules in Ontario are confusing; I will check the GVW on the door... What were you towing when you had your incident!

Brucer

I towed my LT40 hydraulic with a 1980 1/2 ton diesel pickup. It was rated to tow 2000 pounds.

Before I bought the mill I checked with a mechanic and he told me the transmission in my truck was built like a brick --------- but it would overheat. He suggested adding the biggest auxiliary transmission cooler I could find and I'd be OK. I checked with a GM mechanic friend and he agreed. I checked with the local GM dealer and he agreed as well.

So, with electric brakes and a massive transmission cooler, I hauled that mill up and down some of BC's finest "hills" (they tend to go over the tops of mountains) and I had no problems at all. Mind you, the people that got behind me going up the hills were sure happy when we finally got to a passing lane ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

sawguy21

I can well imagine. :D Those early Dodge and GM diesels were no powerhouses.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

red

A factory towing package comes with good stuff like trans coolers, wiring for trailers, maybe an extra leaf spring. Sometimes you still have to put bigger trans coolers or a deeper trans pan.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

OlJarhead

I mill only remote and have towed my LT40HD with an F150 a lot.  I did find it was a little under powered for me and I only managed 10mpg at best pulling the mill.  That and long steep downhill grades the trailer brakes better be working!!!

Now I use an F350 :)  It's a breeze towing 75mph on the highway :D  8) 8) 8)

Oh and I get as much as 11.8MPG towing the mill now with the camper on the pickup! lol  Have gotten 14.5mpg with no camper...ya I'm MUCH happier with the big diesel!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Thank You Sponsors!