iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Towing vehicle for LT40HD

Started by Rickcnc, April 27, 2017, 10:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickcnc

There was a LT40HD come up for sale in my area recently and I procrastinated too long before I decided to take a look at it..  :(  Once of the reasons was my pickup truck is a ford ranger sport.  Per the manual it can pull 4800+ lbs, but I have my doubts this is enough of a truck to safely tow and stop a mill of that size.

This leads me to my question, what are you using to tow your mill.

4x4American

I've towed mine with a fourwheeler, they have trailer brakes make sure you have a controller that works and shud benfine
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

You were minimum but OK.  I only do portable sawing so 4X4 is a requirement.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scully

As mentioned the have electric brakes . I had an "88" Ranger once man what a beast ! I pounded that thing hard . Best 500$ I ever spent .
I bleed orange  .

Ianab

As long as it has working brakes, the mill weighs in at about 3,900 lb, so I would say you are safely under the limit.

A heavier vehicle gives you a bit more margin, and would be better going up and down hills etc. 4 WD certainly an advantage when you need to go off-road, which is where logs tend to live.

But the Ranger should haul it OK

But then I've got a slightly lighter mill that tows just fine behind a Toyota hatchback.  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ljohnsaw

I know you said 4,800# limit.  But what engine do you have?  I had a Ranger that had a 4L v6.  I used it to pull my boat that was supposed to be 1,200# + the trailer and gear - so probably 2-2,400#.  No (working) brakes on the trailer.  That engine had a lot of torque (so it felt) and I could really move with that boat on the flats.  Had it in the hills one time and it was a job.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ianab

That's where the trailer brakes and vehicle weight become important.

My little Toymotor has the same engine as a Highlander SUV with a 5,000 pound tow capacity. I'm sure I could get a LT40 up to highway speed easy enough. Stopping it heading downhill into a corner is a whole different problem.  :o
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

red

Are you just moving the sawmill locally or are you driving hours away at highway speed ?  Flat land or mountains ?  You maybe able to pull the sawmill,  but going down a big hill I worry about steering and brakes.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Rickcnc

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 28, 2017, 02:07:26 AM
I know you said 4,800# limit.  But what engine do you have?  I had a Ranger that had a 4L v6.  I used it to pull my boat that was supposed to be 1,200# + the trailer and gear - so probably 2-2,400#.  No (working) brakes on the trailer.  That engine had a lot of torque (so it felt) and I could really move with that boat on the flats.  Had it in the hills one time and it was a job.

Ranger is a 2006 Sport 4X4 automatic, 4L V6 engine...  Most of my milling projects have been within a 10-60 minute drive, and yes there can be some hills to deal with.

Magicman

You are good but be sure that the sawmill brakes work. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

I pull an LT40 all over the north GA mountains with a 2006 Nissan Frontier 4x4, 4L V6 manual, towing capacity 6300 lbs.  It does fine but a shift into 3rd and sometimes 2nd gear is often required.  Keeping the trailer brakes in good working order is a must.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

sawguy21

Having pulled a 3500 lb travel trailer with our 97 Ranger 4.0 I would say you are marginal at best. It will work on the flats but hills or a quick evasive maneuver could raise the pucker factor to a whole new level.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

FloridaMike

I hate to suggest how others might want to spend their hard earned sawmill dollars, but... an upgrade to a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck would greatly improve your ability to transport the mill, logs on a trailer/arch, milled lumber and support equipment (tractors, skid steers, forklifts, etc.).  All of which would help in productivity and maybe profitability.
Mike

paul case

I only think you need another pickup if you intend on doing portable sawing.

Buy the mill and do a few jobs to earn enough to trade up.

If you are going to saw at home you won't even need the truck you have. If you enjoy milling as much as I do and can get logs delivered and product picked up by customer you may not ever go anywhere but to the mill!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ladylake

If you do portable sawing watch the auctions for something like this, those side boxes work great for everything.

http://www.auctiontime.com/listings/trucks/auction-results/online/6151423/2002-chevrolet-2500...   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

red

Just a side note. My friend has a class 3 tow hitch on his Dodge Caravan and insists he can tow 5,000 lbs.  All I said to him was to be safe . Because he is towing his 20 ft pontoon boat 3 hours away. With a vehicle already loaded down, Air conditioning and stereo on high blast, just because he can . I also wonder if his 2 inch ball is rated for 5,000 lbs. Any machine/trailer that comes with a 2 5/16 ball should never be changed down to a 2 inch ball. Just my two cents.

KirkD

Quote from: red on April 29, 2017, 08:30:44 AM
Any machine/trailer that comes with a 2 5/16 ball should never be changed down to a 2 inch ball. Just my two cents.

Some that come with a 2" should have a 2 5/16"
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

sawguy21

red, what road does he use? I want to stay off it. :o I regularly see questionable towing setups, yesterday an F-250 pulling a three axle 30+' fifth wheel went by me at somewhat over the posted limit. The worst was an old CJ-5 with a lift kit and large tires pulling a medium sized travel trailer, an accident just waiting to happen.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

red

He starts in Pocono PA and usually goes to Lake George NY . Sad part is his two young kids and wife ride with him. If anything ever happens his cheap auto insurance will not pay. You can pay me now or pay me later , he Never pays his part.

Kbeitz

Google say a 2" ball is rated for 3,500 lbs. to 12,000 lbs.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

red

There are many two inch balls . First is shaft size diameter, also shaft length. Some two inch balls are made for quads and lawn tractors. My all time favorite comes apart and you can change the ball for 1 7/8 . I don't think you ever want that one. 

Kbeitz

Quote from: red on April 29, 2017, 01:45:26 PM
There are many two inch balls . First is shaft size diameter, also shaft length. Some two inch balls are made for quads and lawn tractors. My all time favorite comes apart and you can change the ball for 1 7/8 . I don't think you ever want that one.

Your so right. I have a 2" ball with a ½ bolt.
I think it's for garden tractors.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

red

I'm only right twice a day like a Stopped Clock.

Dave Shepard

A Google search shows 3,600 to 3,700 tow rating for Grand Caravan.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TKehl

Should be fine, just make sure to add a brake controller and that the mill brakes are functioning.  I'd be more worried about the lifespan of that auto transmission than anything.  If it's the same as in the Explorers, they were notorious for failures. 

I pull stuff with our minivan all the time.  Goats, mulch, feeder pigs, feed, etc.  Used to be out of necessity, but now that I have a Burb and F350, it's more about saving gas.

It's rated 3500Lbs, but I limit it to about 2000 as I don't want to add a brake controller.  It's for light duty stuff and I want to keep it that way.  Pulled this home from Jefferson City today.  About an hour drive.  (If you like the image filter, it's called "worn flip phone lens".   :D)  Loaded, this trailer will NOT be pulled with the minivan. 

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!