iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How not to harm tree with cable

Started by livemusic, April 27, 2017, 06:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

I inherited a not fully grown dog for awhile and now my niece won't take it back after building her new house. Bummer. He is a very sweet dog, but destructive, likes to tear things up! I keep him in a kennel cage and walk him 4x/day with my other dog, who roams free. The new dog, I'm afraid he'll run off or get hit by a car; he has zero street awareness. So, I'd like to build a cable trolley run... stretch a cable between two trees and attach a line to his harness and then to the trolley. He can get a lot of exercise like that. I can put him out there for a few hours, lol

I don't want to harm my trees and I find conflicting info. Anyone have any idea how to do this and not harm the tree? What about a lag eye bolt? Or strapping a cable around the trees somehow and not damage them? How? Hoping somebody knows a good way to do this.One is a, oh, 20" DBH loblolly and one is about a 30" DBH sweetgum.

I also could sink a post, or two of them if I had to. Not sure what to use. The dog is a beagle/basset about 60 lbs and that guy is strong!
~~~
Bill

Ljohnsaw

I would use a piece of nylon webbing like ratchet strap stuff.  Sew a loop on each end.  Place around tree passing one loop through the other like a choker.  Attach your cable to that.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

TKehl

Run the cable through some old garden hose where it would rub on the tree.  Don't cinch tight around the tree.  From above you want the cable to look like a raindrop to avoid future girdling of the tree.  (Easy thing to forget about.)  Have done a lot of high tensile electric fence this way.  Works slick. 

Also, be sure to have swivels on the cable.  I'm betting that's already part of the plan.  Trouble happens when thing that go without saying don't get said.  ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

caveman

I have a similar setup as you are describing for my incorrigible cur dog.  He runs like a deer (even brought one up in the yard one time) and can jump fences with ease and ignores two shock collars turned up to nuclear on the invisible fence system.  I have a cable attached to an eyebolt screwed into a slash pine and on the other end I have a 5/16" chain around a live oak limb.  Every few months I roll the chain to keep the tree from growing around it.  The dog wears out the TSC pulleys monthly that attach his chain to the cable.  I use a turnbuckle on one end to keep it tight as a drum (Old saying).

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!