iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Massive White Oak

Started by Ben-jamin, April 27, 2017, 09:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben-jamin

So my lady friend bought a house a while back and 3 feet form the back door stood a 75-100 year old white oak. This sucker is in the area of 4 foot dbh with about a 6" soft spot in the middle. The log is only going to be about 6' long. Its got some metal in it somewhere without a doubt. It is far to large for my mill. I could split it but she wants to try to sell it to recoup some of the cost of taking it down.

My question is do any of you know who in western North Carolina might buy something of that size and quality and what might be fair price

?
Wood-mizer Lt35

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm sorry but I don't think anyone is going to be interested in paying for a 6' long yard tree that definitely has metal in it.

I will be watching with interest tho and wish you the best of luck.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

TKehl

May as well split it and mill it and sell the lumber.  Probably quarter saw it.  Might as well at this point.

If it were local AND  the soft spot doesn't go too deep in the log, I would would probably be interested if it were free. 

What happened to the rest of the trunk?  Tree looks taller than 6'.   ::)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Ben-jamin

The limbs start at 6 foot and then it starts to fork around 10 foot. I feel that both of yall are probably right but she wants to try. I will most likely be splitting a log sometime in the near future lol.  I will post some more pictures of the beast later this weekend.
Wood-mizer Lt35

nativewolf

cut the limbs flush and slab, sounds like interesting crotch wood.   Get a metal detector for sure because you know someone screwed something into it.  In fact, that close to the house I'd just quarter it and hope you could find a quarter with no metal to mill.  If you see any metal just turn it into good firewood.
Liking Walnut

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

grouch

I'm going to be the dissenter here. I'd be milling whatever I could from that sucker, especially that big crotchety limb propping it up in the picture. But then, my milling is for me, not for a living.

There might be spiders and rapids in there:

Find something to do that interests you.

Weekend_Sawyer

I agree with milling it. I just don't think anyone would buy the log. You could probably sell the lumber after it is milled tho.

The Spider jumped right out at me!  ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

kelLOGg

Your best bet is to split it with that chainsaw (the rotted center will make that easier) and saw it. I would jump on it if it were on my property. It would be rare for someone to buy it as is but lumber from it is a better bet. Got a metal detector?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Don P

We finished milling the butt of the coffee tree yesterday. Last cut we heard "zing,zing,zing". That's usually when it dawns on me to get out the metal detector. I had bucked off 6' and was sure I was above the fence that I saw embedded... but not the clothesline  :D Three 20's a good foot inside, the tell was in the wood but I thought it was from the fence, DanG.

Brad_bb

Unfortunately as has been said, nobody is paying for a yard tree, especially a log only 6' long.  The only way to get anything out of it is if you take the risk of metal and mill it yourself and then sell the slabs.  If it were not a yard tree and you were selling one log that short, If the buyer has to move it, the time, effort and equipment to move it eat up the value of that one short log. 

I have to pay a delivery fee where I am, but I only do that on a 25K lbs of logs at a time so I can amortize that cost over that batch of logs.  Most guys in logging country pay for logs including delivery, not a separate fee.

Back to your log.  As has been said, cut the branches flush.  Check for metal with a detector.  Decide if you want to chainsaw slab the log.  If you don't want to risk the chain on the butt log, Separate it and only slab the second and third log. I don't know if you have an alaskan chainsaw mill to slab with though.

It looks like a black mark on the bottom of the log...is that black metal staining?  Black staining is a sign of metal close by.

Last option is to split that log in half with your chainsaw so you can quarter saw each half.  You could get a bunch of nice quarter sawn boards if there's no metal.  If you hit metal is will cost you bands.  But if you are taking the risks, you should get any money.  She already got your free labor to cut it down and I assume you're doing clean up?  That already is more than the wood is worth.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!