iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Orbital sanders

Started by geostal, April 26, 2017, 09:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geostal

Im looking to purchase an orbital sander. I will be sanding slabs. Which sander should I consider and where might I find it? Surcare/Gem or other??  Looking for input.

Brad_bb

Go to your profile and that's a place to put where you're from so it shows up on the left in your post every time.  It helps to know where people are from when answering questions.

I don't recognize those tool names so maybe you're in Australia or New Zealand??

For slabs I would not recommend and orbital sander.  I'd recommend a belt sander.  I have a Bosch 4x24 belt sander.  Start with 50 grit, then 80 grit, and then 120 or 150 depending on the species.  Only the weight of the sander should do the work.  Don't apply pressure, just keep in moving back and forth with the grain or in an elliptical pattern with the grain.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

SineWave

Orbital finishing sander? Or a more aggressive random-orbit sander? Orbitals are nice for sanding finishes, but you'll be there for a month if you plan to remove much wood.

I have a Bosch random orbit/orbital sander, the biggest one they make amperage wise (for sanding boats)...I like it.

If you plan on serious sanding in your future (I *HATE* sanding so I go for serious horsepower in my sanders), you might consider an air-powered unit. I have a pretty aggressive Dynabrade 5" or 6" RO I like. The nice thing about air tools is, the harder you work them, the cooler they get!

Or, if you really need to remove some wood, and have some finesse, a belt sander. They can be tricky and can dig in if you're not careful, but if you get the hang of them, they can really remove some meat...

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I just bought a Milwaukee 5" Variable Speed ROS from my local Home Depot. Cost was $69 before my military discount and sales taxes. It has an adapter to allow hookup of a vacuum suction hose. Comes with a 5 year warranty. Seems to work fine for what I'm doing.

I'd highly recommend that you get Mirka Abranet disks. They are much better than "normal" disks, work well and last a long time. For your job I'd recommend the 80 grit disks, you can get them from Amazon. You also need a pad protector to protect the hook and look pad on your sander, otherwise it will get ruined if you use the Mirka disks without it.

If you have questions about the Mirka disks, just ask. If you can't find the right thing at Amazon, send me a pm and I'll send you a link...

Note, I have no relationship with Mirka or Amazon other than satisfied customer.

Herb

Kbeitz

The best of the best....

festool

If you can afford it...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sealark37

You cannot match a router frame set-up for smoothing a slab.  The time spent sanding is eliminated, and the surface result is superior.   Regards, Clark

barbender

I have a 6" Ridgid RO sander that is fairly aggresive. I've never used a belt sander though, so I can't make the comparison. It is hard on the backing pads though.
Too many irons in the fire

Larry

I think geostal is talking about orbital sanders more the size of floor sanders.  Maybe he will clarify.

As far as a standard ROS Dynabrade's rule.  What would you expect when its powered by a 10 HP air compressor. :D 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

YellowHammer

I've got a buddy who sands his slabs with a big floor sander.  They look great.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!