iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

600 year old white oak, Basking Ridge, NJ

Started by red, April 26, 2017, 05:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

www.usatoday.com Oak tree where George Washington had a picnic cut down .  A white oak tree believed to be one of the oldest trees in North America began its descent Monday as crews started to cut it down.  I searched for older postings because I know we talked about this tree before. But I could not find any ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WDH

I am sure that it is not even close to being the oldest tree in America.  Some of the bristlecone pines out West are 4000 years old.  Still, a nice tree, though. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red

But I read it on the internet, it must be true.  More fake news?  Or maybe just the oldest White Oak at 600 years at this church.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

OffGrid973

For the past two days they have been working on this amazing tree and it's about to have the final cut. They used concrete over the years to keep it standing and now that's causing some difficulty on the last few cuts :).  I have the pleasure of milling a few logs and building some benches and items for the church, will keep this thread updated throughout the process.

Will also rotate / fix pictures when I get home (no comments peanut gallery)

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

johnnyllama

Saw this on the news yesterday. I didn't know white oaks could live that long. Amazing.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

YellowHammer

That's great that you will get the honor of doing some milling on this tree. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Darrel

That is an amazing tree. Years ago when both my kids were still preschoolers, I attended a church in Cloverdale California that had a big old white oak about that same size and age growing out front. It was a sad spring one year when it grew no leaves. Glad that some of it will be milled. In Cloverdale, the whole tree went to firewood.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

1270d

Either way I enjoyed the article. Thanks.

4x4American

I actually know the guy who planted that tree
Boy, back in my day..

SineWave

I don't know about whether it was the oldest, but supposedly the biggest white oak in the U.S. was on the Eastern Shore of MD ... the Wye Oak ... about 10' DBH ... apparently 460 years old. Died a few years back...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wye_Oak

Here it is in 1929:

whitepine2

I got me a white oak about 6' in diameter,must have been here when the first boat come over. It's starting to die,has limbs as big as most trees too bad it going. 

nativewolf

That is too bad.  Maybe gather a bucket of acorns this fall, let them soak a day or two and spread sandwiched between some wet cardboard and see if you can get any to germinate, pot and send seedling to family/friends.  Keep the tree alive so to speak. 
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: whitepine2 on April 27, 2017, 12:40:37 PM
I got me a white oak about 6' in diameter,must have been here when the first boat come over. It's starting to die,has limbs as big as most trees too bad it going.

This is my old field Chestnut oak, I have to get a better picture and a tape measure around it.  Over 5' but not sure how much bigger.  10 feet up it is all burls and is well over 8'.  Kind of amazing to see it trying to put scar tissue around those ugly limbing scars.  Someone really screwed up limbing it.  This fall I'll clean it up a bit.
Liking Walnut

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

nativewolf

Great Live Oak there, you can see why they wanted them for ships keels
Liking Walnut

woodman58

Maybe not the oldest tree but, it's close. It's called 'The Old Senator' in St. Augustine, Fl.
https://www.visitstaugustine.com/thing-to-do/old-senator-live-oak
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

Thank You Sponsors!