iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Medium duty truck parts

Started by newoodguy78, April 25, 2017, 09:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newoodguy78

I'm looking for the radiator core support for a truck I'm working on. The truck is a 96 F-superduty with the 7.3 and 5 speed manual transmission. My local parts stores have all said it is not available through them. I have found the part on line.The one that's in it is fixable but I'd rather just replace it and have all new metal.
So my ultimate question is does anyone know a company that you would recommend to order this through? I've never ordered these type of parts before and have heard some stories of these type of aftermarket parts not fitting properly, which I would really like to avoid if possible.
Thank you in advance.

TKehl

You're talking an F-450, right?  Still looks like a pickup but heavier springs etc.  Can you get a used one at a local boneyard?  Pretty sure that the core support from a F-250 or F-350 from 92-97 should interchange as long as it's diesel. 

I know the small block support is different, and pretty sure the 460 gas is also.  I've got a 92 F350 with the 460 that I looked and swapping cabs on and gleaned some of this along the way.

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

newoodguy78

Yes it is the predecessor to the 450 looks just like a pickup from that year but it has a much heavier suspension and only came in 2 wheel drive. Every parts guy I talk to tells me they never made such a truck  :). I've convinced all of them otherwise  ;).They stopped making them in 97. That's the trouble I'm having is I believe the core support is the same for a 250/350 as long as it is the diesel, but not positive. The gas job one is definitely different.I've tried the local boneyards with no luck

Bruno of NH

I hear they are very hard to find .
Good luck
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sawguy21

We have a 97 Ranger, some parts are getting hard to find. I have changed the cheap reman starter (from Ford) twice and had a tough time finding a serpentine belt idler assembly. The 05 Ram has been good so far but it's only a matter of time.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

snowstorm

Try keystone. They will have it. I was looking for the same thing last yr.there were plenty  to be had

TKehl

WOW!  They're all over the place out here.  But then again, this isn't New England.   ;)

Cheaper land, cheaper fuel, lower taxes, easier inspections, and less salt = lot's more older trucks on the roads and in boneyards. 

How much are they asking online?  May be able to help you out, but shipping may be the issue.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

newoodguy78

Snowstorm- is keystone and lkq the same? I googled keystone and it gave me a Manchester NH location and I called, the initial recording was for lkq.the parts guy abruptly told me they didn't make such a truck and even if they did he wouldn't be able to get that part because of the age of the truck  ???  :o. I appreciate the lead just the same thank you.

TKehl- I called a couple ford dealers and found out that part has been discontinued by them. The guys I talked to all gave me the same part number. The part number is the same for a 250/350 and superduty for the years 94-97, as long as it is the 7.3 diesel and manual transmission. I found one online for 550 plus shipping, more than I was expecting but isn't everything.
Don't get me going on the cost of living in the northeast or what salt and calcium does to vehicles or I'll end up in the woodshed for sure :). I'm going to continue my search. I very much appreciate your offer to help and may end up going that route if it worked for you.

snowstorm

Ford parts .com. you can look up any ford part with the list price. I have a 97 that got hit in the front.  I am sure I found a place that had a core support. It mite have been b .and l .auto parts in bangor. Keystone sells to a lot of body shops. If you have an account they are cheap. If you don't there are not

woodmaker

I have a bunch of that vintage f 350's .Just so you know,there are two different size radiators for diesels in that vintage truck. I dont remember the exact size ,but one is something like 15x34 core size,the other is something like 22x24. The long ,narrow one is available from LMC out of texas,about $250.00 with shipping to southwest N.H.
I haven't found a source for the more square one yet.      lmctruck.com
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Larry

My daily driver is a F350 with 7.3 PSD and 5 speed.  I bought it new in '97 with every option available.

Its not really my daily driver as it spends about 5 days a week in a nice warm garage.  Probably my forever truck if I can keep making the step up to get in.  Every time I stop to fill up somebody asks iffen I want to sell.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

newoodguy78

Thanks for the feedback guys very much appreciated. I'll look into the places that have been mentioned. The tip about the two different sizes on the radiator is interesting I'll measure mine and see what I have. Nobody I've talked to so far has mentioned different sizes for the 7.3.
Larry NICE truck how many miles on that gem?

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

newoodguy78

Shoot the seats probably just starting to get comfortable  :D. Lots of miles left in that truck for sure  8)

TKehl

Lot's of opinions on the internet.  Half the people say Ford made one core support for 92-97 diesels period.  The other half says two depending on radiator size.   :)  Both sides are certain they are well respected and certain they are right.  Beats me.???

Lot's of people saying the aftermarket parts are close, but need modified to work even though they say diesel.  Ford no longer makes them.  Used are evidently rare.  $200 and up.  At the same time I know of a busted diesel F350 for sale here for $600 for the whole truck.

If it's fixable, it may be better to fix it, rust treat, and rock on.

Larry, some running boards may help.  I helped put some of the aluminum bar type on dad's 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4 after his shoulder surgery.  They look good and don't rust.

woodmaker

LMC #43-2865 will fit if you have the long ,narrow radiator;if you have the square one,it goes deeper between the frame rails. We have cut and sectioned a new core support to make it fit,but it is just a p.i.t.a.

franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

snowstorm

Quote from: Larry on April 25, 2017, 09:41:03 PM
My daily driver is a F350 with 7.3 PSD and 5 speed.  I bought it new in '97 with every option available.

Its not really my daily driver as it spends about 5 days a week in a nice warm garage.  Probably my forever truck if I can keep making the step up to get in.  Every time I stop to fill up somebody asks iffen I want to sell.

i have one that used to look like that. 20 yrs of salt has not been kind to it

TKehl

Here is the difference in gas versus diesel for anyone curious.  (Black one may be aftermarket.)

I may have spoken too soon.  Called my usual parts place (specializes in domestic 2x4 and 4x4 trucks) and they don't have one.   :(  They did say the 94-97 was what they showed for interchange.  ??? 

Saw a couple on C-list that if they had the 5 speed would have been a good excuse to pickup a parts truck for mine.  (I'm planning an eventual Cummins swap.)  The truck I had in my mind for $600 was a 460 gasser. 

snowstorm

A 6 sp .would be a better choice. I have one on a f550 it is quite slow in first gear. They have a lube pump in them

woodmaker

The white core support in TKehl's photo is the correct one for the more square radiator.you can tell at a glance because it has a bolt on bracket on each side of the large opening,plus the lower section drops lower between the frame rails.
     The black one may be gas,or may be the longer ,narrower diesel ;it is hard to tell from the photo.Small block gas core supports have a smaller hole than the diesel one.

Stoneyacrefarm

Newwoodguy.
I am parting out a 96 F350 that has a blown 460 in it.
If it's the same its yours.
You would just have to drive to western mass and get it.
Send me a pic of what yours looks like and I'll see if they match up.
You can pm me for more info if you need to.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

TKehl

Found one for you, if they will ship.  Sent you a PM.

newoodguy78

Thank you for all the input from everyone, I looked into all the leads. After getting mine out it was much worse than I thought.Thought I would share what I found out in my search for the core support. After talking to multiple ford dealers, they all said that is an obsolete part. The ford part number is-F4TZ16138Z
I was told this part number is the same for the 250/350 and superduty from 94-97 as long As it is the 7.3 diesel.Multiple dealers told me that no one that they are aware of is reproducing this part number.

I ended up finding a company in Connecticut that makes a 7 piece repair kit that needs to be welded in,I ordered one. Very nice fabrication work and all the pieces match up to the originals very well. Thought this was the answer and it very well could be
That company is auto body specialty, the part number is F-459.

On the same day that the kit came in I followed up on a lead from TKehl about an ad on Springfield MO Craigslist down his way. To make a long story short I connected with the guy and after multiple picture exchanges we agreed on the price and a clean southern one is on its way north. 8) couldn't have asked for a better guy to deal with. I'm anxious to get it and put it in.

Thanks again for all the input.

Stoneyacrefarm

Glad you were able to find what you needed.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

newoodguy78

You and me both, and thank you for the offer on yours.

Thank You Sponsors!