iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hay loft construction for new livestock barn

Started by acrosteve, May 07, 2017, 07:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acrosteve

Hey guys, it's been a while since I sawed any,  Should get back to it when I get this latest project finished.

Anyway, I am building a livestock barn - 36'x36' enclosed with 12' open lean to on each side.  Basically posts on a 12' grid.  I am going to put a hay loft in the center section - 12'x36'.  I will have double 2x12 joist carriers running the 36' length.  With 2x8 joists on 16" centers spanning the roughly 11'6" between the posts.

I am thinking of using advantec for a solid, monolithic loft floor, but have seen others recommend boards with gaps for air circulation when building hay lofts.  I was thinking of keeping the chaff up on the floor, rather than falling through the cracks.

Not my image, but very similar construction.  Conventional 2x lumber

I will have about 3' "knee walls" between the two roof planes and will use skylight material for that portion of the siding.  Metal roof and poplar b&b for the rest of the exterior.

Any flaws in my design?    2x10 rather than the 2x8?

Thanks
Timberking B-20

Don P

You're not up to residential 40psf floor specs yet, is this going to really store hay or just a few bales, haylofts begin at 100 lbs per square foot.

acrosteve

Could be full of hay, not just a few bails.  Stacked 6' tall.  Around 150 bail, I suppose.  11,250 lbs.  30lbs per sq ft.

Most residential codes are such that the floor is rigid and very little bounce when walked on.

I know it would be  a little bouncy, but that won't bother me as long as it is sound.

Timberking B-20

Don P

The joists would be ok for that load, the girders would need to be 4 ply 2x12 in #2 SPF or SYP to pass allowable bending strength, they actually pass deflection at that point as well.

A double 9.25" LVL passes in bending but falls short in deflection, a double 11.25" passes both bending strength and stiffness.

I wish I had used solid sheathing overhead in the barn. I ran boards and have been slowly covering it with cardboard, leftover sheets of 7/16" osb, etc to keep the debris down.

acrosteve

Thanks Don,
Glad to run it past someone else.

Timberking B-20

Thank You Sponsors!