iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shelter build

Started by Treehack, April 25, 2017, 12:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treehack

I have decided to build a shelter for my sawmill.  I had some hedge still left from a fence project, so decided this would be another great use of this exterior hearty wood.  Going to be a simple post and roof shelter 10' x 22' with back end enclosed to help further protect the cutting head from elements.  So, I had a couple more logs still to mill for the pieces I think I will need.  Where I live and keep the sawmill is in town.  I have a large back yard, so have enough room for the mill behind my workshop, but no way to have any support equipment.  This makes log handling a little adventurous.  First log was not as thick, but long enough to get some 14' plates and other 2x4 and 4x4 stock out of.  Since it was just me moving the logs into place, had to employ the Egyptian roller technique to get the log to the mill.

Next one was kind of a big hoss at 33" x 10' and was much heavier, so had to use the winch in addition to the rollers, but finally got it on the mill.

After the milling and a few other loose pieces I had left over, I think I have what I need for the structural pieces.

Now for the part where I share one of those moments where you learn you are not the sharpest tool in the shed.  So, I have built a workshop and a fence around our back yard, so have called Julie before I dig, but since I have done this a couple of times before, I'm smart enough to remember where the utilities are back there, and was too impatient to wait on this, and was only digging some 8" footings with a manual post hole digger... you can see where this is going right.  So I get the holes dug, no problem, but next morning my wife calls and says Frontier Communications is here and wants to look in the back yard...oh crap!  So I rush home and find that one of my digs nicked a "100 pair communication line."  So the guy is really nice, but says that because of the location, my dog kennel will need to be moved, they will not be able to get a backhoe in there, so will need to bring some guys back later to hand dig a trench on each side of the hole to repair the line, so I see $$$$ dancing in my head.  I told him that I would get started on things and do as much as I can for them before they return to reduce my costs.  I moved the dog kennel down enough and then dug this little beauty by myself with a spade.

That is 9' x 3' x 3'.  Not quite grave sized, but after my wife found out about my mishap, she probably could have made it work.  So, they came in made the repair and the guy said that since I did so much work and they were happy not to have to dig the hole that he might forget to turn in the paperwork.  We'll have to see.  So the moral to the story is always make the darn call, no matter how smart you think you are.  Now it's on to pouring the footings and getting started on the build.  It will take me a while because of the day job and multiple kids participating in multiple sports at multiple levels, but will keep this updated as I go.

TK 1220, 100+ acres of timber, strong left arm.

barbender

Yes, make the call ;) Always. I've dug up many a wire in my day, the worst one was a 50 or 100 pair telephone line that went into an assisted living apartment. I was looking for somewhere to hide when the old folks started coming out with their phone handsets, trying to figure out why they weren't working ;D
Too many irons in the fire

fishfighter

Yep, I got to make that call today. :D

thecfarm

All in a day of sawing.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Treehack

Got the 4 corner footings leveled and poured tonight.  Hopefully, will get the 4 interior ones done tomorrow.

Treehack

Have had some rain delays over the last week, but was able to make a little progress.  Footings are done, got the 4 corners up and braced and a couple of other posts set.  Had to move the mill out of the way for construction.

opticsguy

Looks like a good plan for you and your saw.  How do you like your TK1220?  How long have you been using it?  Made any modifications?
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Treehack

I've had it just about 6 months.  So far, I really like it.  Cuts true and straight lumber when the blade is sharp and the log is cooperative.  Have not made any mods yet, although I'm waiting to hear back from TK about something their engineers found with the new transport package design(I got the first mill with the new design).  Hope they come up with something soon as I need to get it up to our family farm soon to start cutting timbers for a cabin.

Treehack

Also looking forward to the end of my "Karate Kid" training.  "Tarp off, tarp on" is getting old in a hurry.  :D

Treehack

Got the rest of the posts up and cross bracing done.  Also got the two 24' beams built and installed.  Those were a treat to get up there by myself. 

Kbeitz

I going to be with you on putting up a long beam. I got a
26 foot 8x8 that needs to go up this week. I do all my work
alone.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

coyotebait

about calling Miss dig.  I had a neighbor dig his new basement in the middle of a 40 acre field . naturally  he didn't think there would be anything out there. But right in the very corner of the basement ran the underground phone cable between Grand rapids and Detroit. You should have seen how many guys with white helmets showed up on that boo boo.

Treehack

Quote from: Kbeitz on May 12, 2017, 02:16:34 AM
I going to be with you on putting up a long beam. I got a
26 foot 8x8 that needs to go up this week. I do all my work
alone.

Dang K, that's twice the size of mine.  I must be half the man you are. :D  Hope your using a tractor for that bad boy.

Kbeitz

There is no way I can get a tractor anywhere around where this beams
gotta go. I need to support the floor in this building. I had to take down
the back wall to get the beam in. Last picture shows the bend in the roof
line that needs fixed.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Treehack

Yeah, definitely have some sway there.  So, what's the plan to set that beam by yourself?

Treehack

A little more progress.  Got all the bracing finished and started building and installing the trusses.

Joed

How much clearance do you have from the truss to the top of the saw head??
Valley Big Green Monster

ToddsPoint

I love that hedge construction.  That thing will be there a while.  Did you have to drill holes to put the nails/screws in?  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Treehack

Quote from: Joed on May 19, 2017, 12:58:01 PM
How much clearance do you have from the truss to the top of the saw head??

Have about 6" from top of water tank when installed to bottom of truss

Treehack

Quote from: ToddsPoint on May 20, 2017, 05:22:41 AM
I love that hedge construction.  That thing will be there a while.  Did you have to drill holes to put the nails/screws in?  Gary

Definitely pre-drill everything.  Kind of like driving a nail into a sidewalk.  Have used screws on most of the big stuff so far.

grouch

Ever tried to cut a standing dead osage orange? They don't cooperate.

Moved here in '78 and was determined to be a good manager of my woods, cut only the worst or dead trees for firewood. Picked out a nice sized tree with just a little bark left on it at the top. Failed to get firewood from that tree.

Here's what it looked like in January, 2015:

I think your sawmill shelter will be there until somebody has to take it apart. From your description, they won't have an easy time doing that. :)
Find something to do that interests you.

TheRidginian

My grandfather cut hedge 11"x11" beams for the mud sills under his Corley sawmill in about 1958.  They are still completely solid, even with the shed havmig met it's demise some 20 years ago.  It is amazing that an untreated wood could be half-out of the dirt, and half under it and not rot. One would think there would be more of a demand for hedge in ground-contact uses. 

Treehack

Grouch, didn't think there was such a thing as a dead one.  :D  The ones I cut are already sprouting again.  Looks like a real chain grinder.  Maybe try an axe.  :D :D

paul case

I found a dead one that is perfect post size and planted it 5 years ago and I reckon it will be there for a long time.

My dad used 10'' hedge post for yard corner posts in 1970. Still there and hard as a rock.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

grouch

Quote from: Treehack on May 20, 2017, 09:21:53 AM
Grouch, didn't think there was such a thing as a dead one.  :D  The ones I cut are already sprouting again.  Looks like a real chain grinder.  Maybe try an axe.  :D :D

Send me some of those sprouts!

It ate a chain and frustrated an axe, or rather me, as the one swingin that axe. The marks you see in that tree were made way back then. I haven't taken a swing at it in over 35 years.

Wish I had some growing here. It'd be much more valuable to me than that troublesome treated stuff that rots faster than untreated while devouring galvanized fasteners.

Quote from: TheRidginian on May 20, 2017, 08:58:43 AM
My grandfather cut hedge 11"x11" beams for the mud sills under his Corley sawmill in about 1958.  They are still completely solid, even with the shed havmig met it's demise some 20 years ago.  It is amazing that an untreated wood could be half-out of the dirt, and half under it and not rot. One would think there would be more of a demand for hedge in ground-contact uses. 

Maybe there's too much money to be gotten selling pressure treated wood. The ACA treatment doesn't last nearly as long as CCA and it speeds up the rusting of steel, plated or not.
Find something to do that interests you.

Thank You Sponsors!