iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need production ideas

Started by 4x4American, April 23, 2017, 09:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

I hear out west the timber fallers work what's called a fallers day which is 6hrs.  I usually put in 10-12 hrs at the sawmill, and then come back and maybe sharpen a couple blades if I'm still able to walk lol
Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

Quote from: 4x4American on April 26, 2017, 10:54:02 PM
I hear out west the timber fallers work what's called a fallers day which is 6hrs.  I usually put in 10-12 hrs at the sawmill, and then come back and maybe sharpen a couple blades if I'm still able to walk lol
Yep, when a man works up 15000 bd ft of timber on a cow's face in 6 hours...it's time to call it a day. Different story at the mill, but there is a point of diminishing returns.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

4x4American

yea fir sure Imm not knocking them, I have nothing but respect for the west coast timber fallers.  They are real men.

Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

Quote from: 4x4American on April 27, 2017, 06:12:07 AM
yea fir sure Imm not knocking them, I have nothing but respect for the west coast timber fallers.  They are real men.
I didn't figure you were knocking anyone.
I guess this is as good a place as any...I rember a few years ago, on another site, you were asking about becoming a logger. My advice to you was to stick with your day job. For 99% of the young men I tell that, it's good advice. But looking at what you have done I'll have to say that you are evidently the 1%.
I can admit when I'm wrong, and I was sure wrong with the advice I gave you back then. It seems you're building a fine business, a little different from logging, but we all take a deture from time to time in life. Keep on keepin' on buddy! I'm proud to at least know you through this site.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

4x4American

Thanks pard! you're ever out this way stop by and visit, maybe I'll be the pallet king by then lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

My new to me resaw and cut off saw.

Cut off saw is homemade and resaw is a Smith brand. It really whistles through 4'' cants.

Did I remember reading that you are getting a new Baker lazy suzan runnaround? Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRc3_CHjdAA#

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kbeitz

Where can one buy negĀ° blades for a cut off saw?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 29, 2017, 01:05:06 PM
Where can one buy negĀ° blades for a cut off saw?

Menominee saw maybe?

Paul, that be the one
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

WOW.......... I wana come watch one guy feed that thing. and stack boards and make the bucks and not have to move and, and,and.......

WOW that is all I can say.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

4x4American

Quote from: paul case on April 29, 2017, 05:13:43 PM
WOW.......... I wana come watch one guy feed that thing. and stack boards and make the bucks and not have to move and, and,and.......

WOW that is all I can say.

PC
It was love at first sight.  The moment I laid my two eyes on that thing I knew I had to have one. 
Boy, back in my day..

moodnacreek

Payne  made a 30" peg tooth saw for my slab wood saw that is a swing saw. This style is also called style M. You could put it on either way. They will make most any circle saw.               '

4x4American

Baker told me the resaw was loaded on a truck this afternoon.  They even made a demo vidjayo of it in action.  It's nice to have a company that doesn't screw around and actually tests each piece of equipment before it leaves the factory.   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI57UWWsNs4 
Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I would go nuts watching that thing.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

That would be a short trip!!   ;D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

I'm gonna have a guy running it while I'm running the sawmill breaking down logs into cants to feed it.  If I could sell slabs of wood for $300/piece I sure as heck wouldn't be making pallet parts but in my area there are sawmills in every valley and it's a steady check.  You can't give away slabs of wood.  There was a wood show here this past weekend and I seen a feller from Indiana and a feller from Tennessee and they were trying to sell high dollar "rustic" wood pieces (furniture, pool table, coffee tables, etc).  They had some really nice looking stuff but at the last day of the show they still had a whole lot of what they showed up with, and one of them was really grumpy :D :D I got the feeling they came up here for a gold rush but didn't find no pay dirt :D
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Spend some money, why don't you.  :D :D :D :D :D Don't let Paul C see that. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

paul case

I done already saw that!!! ;D

4x4 is gona be walkin in tall cotton when he gets that thing home.

BTW baker's website shows they have a used one for sale for $12,500 I think.

PC
pc

barbender

That 4x4 isn't afraid to spend some dough and go all in, that's for sure! That looks like a really nice machine 8)
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

That's going to be too easy, it'll take all the "fun" out of resawing. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

Quote from: barbender on May 08, 2017, 11:20:19 PM
That 4x4 isn't afraid to spend some dough and go all in, that's for sure! That looks like a really nice machine 8)

Sometimes you have to spend some to make a lot. Way to go 4x4, Getting setup to do a job fast. Just think of the time you save and all the wood going out the door.
If I was in the pallet biz I would have two.  :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

lol lol The way I see it I'm losing money by not having it, that things gonna pay its way in a hurry. 

And Paul go figure now they have a used one for sale lol.  I needed this thing months ago I looked for a used one with the turnarounds couldn't find one.  Plus I don't have 3-phase so I'd have to figure out a phase inverter or a genset. 

Boy, back in my day..

WDH

That is some high cotton. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Percy

Quote from: 4x4American on May 08, 2017, 09:17:53 PM
Baker told me the resaw was loaded on a truck this afternoon.  They even made a demo vidjayo of it in action.  It's nice to have a company that doesn't screw around and actually tests each piece of equipment before it leaves the factory.   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI57UWWsNs4
WOW!! That thing is quick and brilliant! Can it do 12 footers?? Regardless, looks like a wise purchase for you...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Andries

Nice!
Looks like you made a major jump in your ask for 'production idears'

. . . and your 62 year old off-bearer from Down South might get dizzy running that re-saw.
Gonna buy him some out-rigger training wheels so that he doesn't fall over?   :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

longtime lurker

I like it: relatively quick, looks like it could be operated by a monkey with little supervision, so long as pallet prices hold up for a bit it should make you some money. And then after that it should make you some profit. Which of course you'll direct to some other piece of sawmill stuff because sawmilling is a disease and none of us ever really get a payout beyond day to day expenses until we get that old that we sell our lifetimes accumulation of junk.

I'm pleased for you mighty pallet king of the Adirondacks. ;)
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!