iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need production ideas

Started by 4x4American, April 23, 2017, 09:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Quote from: 4x4American on May 13, 2017, 03:15:05 AM
ding ding ding!

Down here if you called someone a Skookum Choocher it would either get real good or real bad, depending.  ;D ;D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

longtime lurker

Quote from: 4x4American on May 12, 2017, 09:16:08 PM
So much for that Baker being a one man saw, holy cow it is hard to keep up with!!  It came with a 1/2" pitch .035" blade I was running for awhile was I was dialing it in...took quite awhile to get it tuned in, but today I got her singing with a .045" wm 4 degree blade I had, and I have to say boys shes a skookum choocher!  Cutting 4" wide deckboards with the feed rate turned right up had me scrambling.  Now I'm thinking boy if I had a turntable to catch the boards I might have a fighting chance.  I needa figure out a cheap and dirty sawdust blower.  With the production rate that thing puts out I might have to go burger king and get a crown to wear so I can really be the pallet king  :D

Soooooo... when does the new mill arrive so you can breakdown fast enough to keep the resaw fed??? :D :D :D

Seriously: great to hear its all you expected and a bit more. There is something to be said for having the right equipment for a job - makes life easy and all that, not to mention productive and profitable etc etc.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

4x4American

:D :D :D

Before that happens I'd need another hombre, it's hard finding someone who is able to throw down plus has half a brain :D but no I'm very happy with the lt 40 for now.  It dont take long to two face and half a log.  My problem doing that is my main pallet buyer wants stringers 3.5" wide and he wants them on the money so his pallets sit flat.  Well, on a WM taking two deep cuts relieves alot of stress so getting it to dead on 3.5" without spending too long flipping the cant is my bottleneck.  Scragg mill with two circle blades cutting next to each other is the only way I can think to get it accurate fastly.  And before that happens I need another 60' of building, or maybe sawdust collection, or a full time lumber bander lol
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

I took a quick vidjayo today for my friend who wanted to see it.  Kinda hard to tail and video at the same time but I managed

https://youtu.be/AMBHpe9tmDw
Boy, back in my day..

barbender

Cool! The lazy susan looks like it makes a good water bottle holder, too!
Too many irons in the fire

Andries

Yup, I'd say you're right Doug.
She's a certified skookum coocher.
The boys say that when they're completely knocked back on their heels impressed.
Water bottles and all.

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

4x4American

The Baker is working out real well.  We did this in two days with it (cants were already cut out):

Which allowed us to take care of a couple three four retail orders.

Then the truck came to pick up the pallet cutstock at the same time that FF member @Millcreek40 showed up with some logs on his Mack for me to cut for him to build his cabin with.  Well the guy driving the lumber picking up truck happens to be a guy who ran a good sized sawmill operation who just sold it to a bigger sawmill corporation that's been buying out sawmills in our area.  He's now working for the pallet guy to keep busy.  Millcreek40 used to do business with him so they and my retired guy all had a nice visit while I loaded the truck.

Well before I got to go visit with them a field supervisor/forestor from a big land holding company came in to visit and talk about me sawing them out 30' hardwood crane mats... the other guys left and once the field super left I had two more ppl stop in about lumber before I could run to the bank with the lumber check lol

Oh and Moodna Creek stopped in and visited I think on thursday it was while I was unloading a pickup truck full of prime butternut logs  :D

Then I got to sawing some of Millcreek40's logs in the late afternoon yesterday after I did two other smaller retail orders

All while the dog waited patiently watching :D

And I just got a call from Baker Products they have a tech stopping in in about 2 hrs to fix a small mfg. problem with the A model which was one of the big reasons I couldn't make it down to the project.

Have a bunch of custom sawing to do for other ppl, a truck and pup, a triaxle load for a logger, a tri axle load for a friend will be coming in the next week or two with 20' logs for big beams, and another truck/pup coming with oak logs early this week for me to buy.

Soo...as part of my production ideas, I think I need to get a clone of myself so that one of me can work and the other of me can take care of people coming in and out  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

red

Be Careful what you ask for . . soon you will just be able to Point and one of your employees will just Handle it .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

longtime lurker

You aint got it yet.... in reality you need THREE of you:Two to be at work while one takes a much needed break and goes fishing.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Peter Drouin

Nice job 4x4 , But the pack on the right has 10 more boards than the one of the left. ::) ;D

And yes, Taking care of customers WILL, take from sawing time big time some days.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

paul case

By the pictures that looks like some very well sawn lumber.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

4x4American

Quote from: paul case on May 21, 2017, 03:43:36 PM
By the pictures that looks like some very well sawn lumber.

PC

That Baker does good that was all mostly hard maple and dead old dried out beech.  The top layer on all the packs got  cupped/warped pretty good from the sun so I threw them in maybe 10 extras boards to make up for it.  But otherwise yea that thing does good, I seen a vidjayo of a guy with an hr120 resaw on facebook and his feed rate was probably 1/2 of the speed I'm feeding this Baker in real tough to saw wood.  The diesel really does it, plus having a good sharp blade.   Plus their guides are AWESOME!  When you have their guides adjusted proper they hold that blade real well.
Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

Looking good 4x4
Your building a nice set up
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

4x4American

Had a minute to snap a vidjayo today.  Had the old man helping me

https://youtu.be/1OUhJi8bKBk
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

That thing rocks 4x4 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

redprospector

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Bruno of NH

That's an up town rig for sure :D :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

4x4American

it'll make you dirty like downtown tho  :D   my favorite part about her is counting the $ she make me  ;D  you watch soon I'll be on shark tank sitting next to mark cuban  :o :D
Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

Thank You Sponsors!