iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Without Me

Started by Darrel, April 23, 2017, 05:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

My sawmill is in Oregon, Klamath Falls to be exact.  I'm in Utah and the sawmill is sawing elm without me.  My son is playing sawyer.  I got the call Friday about the job and gave my son Ben the go ahead and now I'm wishing like everything that I was there. I know this is a good experience for the 38 year old kid but I'm not so sure it is good for me. I know he's a good sawyer, he's done it quite a bit in the last year. He doesn't hit the backstops any more often than I do, I'm sure it'll be ok.

He drives my truck as much as I do, never any problems. Why am I such a basket case?  Maybe I should have posted this in the "Standing in the need of Prayer" thread.  :D ;D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

thechknhwk

The man is THIRTY-EIGHT years old, calm down dad!!! :D :D :D

WV Sawmiller

Hawk,

Yes, but is his mill we are talking about. :D

I can't believe it occasionally when I read about someone talks borrowing a friends mill or loaning their mill to another. If a good friend wanted to borrow mine I'd be glad to come saw for them at no charge but not loan them my mill.

I felt the same way when I had a really good squirrel dog and people would want to borrow her. The only person I ever agreed to using her was my normal hunting buddy because he know how I treated her and would treat her the same. And that was only because I was in USMC and could not take her and she loved to hunt.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Darrel

Here's a pic he just sent me. I feel better.

This is the first time anybody has used my mill without me there. And for what it may be worth, Ben is the only person I would let use the mill, but I was still wishing I was there.
1992 LT40HD

thechknhwk

He's not even at the controls, the dang thing is sawing by itself... maybe you shouldn't have trusted him ;D ;D

Dave Shepard

I am the only person, other than someone from WoodMizer,  to ever run my mill since it was delivered. The key is always in my pocket when the mill isn't running.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 23, 2017, 07:40:59 PM
I am the only person, other than someone from WoodMizer,  to ever run my mill since it was delivered. The key is always in my pocket when the mill isn't running.

It's funny you should mention that about the key.  I was doing a portable job at my friends father's place, and when I was tucking the mill away at night, he saw me take the key out.  He asked me, "what do you think someones just gonna drive away with it" lol I said "I'm takin the key ya ole pisstrout!!"
Boy, back in my day..

bandmiller2

Most sawmills especially circular have one sawyer, and he's a nervous wreak if anyone else is running baby. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

scleigh

Darn kids and smart phones. He was probably texting and taking pictures during the cut :D

longtime lurker

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 23, 2017, 08:28:41 PM
Most sawmills especially circular have one sawyer, and he's a nervous wreak if anyone else is running baby. Frank C.

That's because everyone else breaks things on her!

I'm having issues with this right now: last few years I was able to run the breakdown saw until the chain was full, then go run the bench. As we expand production that's got to stop, and I'm going to have to put someone on the headsaw. No-one loves the cranky old tart as much, and no-one can drive her quite like me. Its like sharing a girlfriend.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

buzywoodliff

I feel the same way when someone else is running the combine..... I drive away REAL slow and check for dust coming out of her until it's out of sight.... and then half expect a phone call that something is wrong.  There's a verse about not to worry, I should memorize that. 😬

sawmilljoe

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: buzywoodliff on April 24, 2017, 06:14:03 AM
I feel the same way when someone else is running the combine..... I drive away REAL slow and check for dust coming out of her until it's out of sight.... and then half expect a phone call that something is wrong.  There's a verse about not to worry, I should memorize that. 😬

Well, Bobby McFerrin said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

Upper

Don't tell me he is still living at home,drinking milk straight out of the jug.. ;D
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Darrel

I'm happy he's not living at home and he only hit one 60d nail. DanG yard trees!  And I'm not worried, not now, the mill is safely home again.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
1992 LT40HD

sealark37

You might consider giving the sawmill to your son.  Then you could borrow it when you want to and let him worry.  Regards, Clark

Deese

That is one lucky fella.  :)
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Thank You Sponsors!