iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What should I do with these?

Started by 1270d, April 22, 2017, 08:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1270d

I have these two big pine cookies that have been sitting in the garage for a couple years.  Started spring cleaning yesterday and realized they are split pretty badly.    I don't really have the talent or creativity to make something nice with them the way I thought I would.

My question is, do you think someone would be interested in them with those large cracks? Or should we just break them up the rest of the way and burn them?

Brad_bb

The first one especially is a gem!  That would be a nice table.  You can strengthen those checks with Epoxy.  You could sell them if you don't want it them.  I wouldn't get too crazy.  Just get them in the hands of someone who can do them justice.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

TKehl

Ditto Brad's comment.  The first one is a WOW.  Destined to be a nice little table or something.  Cracks add character.  Character adds $.   ;D

The second is more common/normal but if dried there would still be interest.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

barbender

Dovetail keys would look cool in those checks. Those are big enough to make a company sign ;)
Too many irons in the fire

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

1270d

You all are motivating me to give it a go.    Can someone point me to a procedure for getting the bar top style epoxy over the edges and bark nicely?

The bow tie style things for crack stabilization not would work that well in end grain like this would they?

Larry

Good question and I don't have an answer based on experience with a cookie.

I am thinking that it won't take too big of change in humidity to cause a lot of movement in the crack.  Since its end grain a butterfly might split the holding wood.

Just thinking that I might saw the split out of the cookies than glue the two half's back together.  In any case I would try something, especially with the fluted one.  I really like it.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Andries

Quote from: tule peak timber on April 22, 2017, 10:05:07 AM

Definitely develop them !
There's a thousand words in that one picture.

1270d - those cookies are beauts, and probably won't move much after drying that long.
There's a big market for "primitive" wood furniture.
Run a search in the FF and check out Tule Peak Timber.
Absolutely eye popping products.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!