iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 365 XT to 372

Started by BlackOak1664, April 21, 2017, 09:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackOak1664

Decided to mod my new Husqvarna 365 after purchasing new 2 months ago. I've watched videos on different methods of getting to the transfer port covers, from completely removing the jug, to removing the flywheel (not sure how the fellow got to the other port cover on the clutch side?) I didn't want to take the cylinder off because I don't have a tool for compressing the rings, and if I don't have to be loosen the carb and intake boot, then it's better not to do so to end up with a potential air leak from either reinstalling to loosely or over torquing the screws.  So after removing the top cover and flywheelcover, I just removed the muffler brace from the crankcase and the screw attaching the AV mount to the side of the cylinder. Then took the 4 screws out attaching the jug to the crankcase. I was able to lift the whole top end up far enough, without having to remove the air filter holder from its attachment, to get access to all 4 screws on each of the transfer port covers. It was easy to go in through the flywheel fins for the lower 2 screws. The cover on the clutch side was a bit more difficult, but possible. Once I had the covers off, I pulled off the gaskets and used drywall screws to secure them inside out to a wood block to commence to grinding with a dremel. After experimenting with a couple different grinding stones , I found the most efficient way to grind out the baffles was a small cutoff wheel (went through two wheels though) and finally a light clean polish with a sanding wheel. Overall, a pretty painless modification to do, even for a small engine novice like myself. Didn't get to test the saw much after I put it back together, but I did a couple test cuts and the saw worked fine.

Anyhow, sorry for the lack of pictures, and a rehash of a process that's been covered quite a bit already on the web, but for anyone pondering the idea of turning their 365 x torq into a 372, and making the 365 an even better purchase at $150-$200 less than a 372 xp, this post may give some encouragement.
My favorite tools are rifles and chainsaws.

49er

That is about how I do it except I just take the jug all the way off. The ring compressor kit is very cheap. I suggest getting one. I too screwed the cover down to a board but I routed a divot into the board so the cover would sit flat.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

Thank You Sponsors!