iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying hemlock

Started by Kipper09, December 15, 2019, 09:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper09

I'm in the process of starting to get ready to build a cabin. I have located enough hemlock to do the job and need some input. I'm going to have it sawn 12"x8" and then milled to stack and dovetailed by log home company here local for the corners. Random lengths. I need some input on drying it or just putting it up after it's ready. I have read I could just put it up green and it would be ok. I could air dry or have it dry Kilned.  I have chosen hemlock because I believe it's pretty resistant to bugs and seems to hold up pretty well to weather. Any input I greatly appreciate 

Bruno of NH

If it's eastern hemlock
Your not going to like cutting it when it's dry.
I built a lot with it.
Dry 2" stock is fine but dry beam stock can be tough to work.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Eastern hemlock is not widely used, now or in the past, because the trees, if 75 years or older, have a lot of shake and wet wood, also called sinker, which is caused by an anaerobic bacteria.  The end result is that a lot of sawn lumber is highly defective and unsuitable for construction.  Such wood also dries with difficulty, taking nearly twice as long with a lot of splits.  When sawing, drying and planing are completed, the defect free acceptable pieces are fine.

I encourage you to saw a few test logs to see if there will be any issues with your logs.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!