iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

5th wheel

Started by coxy, April 21, 2017, 05:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

to goose neck do they make such a thing   if anyone has one the good , bad and the ugly of them  please

Davek603

Yes they do, I have one mounted on my camper. They come straight and off set. I started out with a straight and ended up needing the offset. I think I ordered it from etrailer.com. 
Woodmizer LT50 and lots of iron to go with it

sawguy21

They are available but most fifth wheel manufacturers won't recommend the setup as they put a lot of strain on the pin box. Think of it as a lever attached to the hitch. I don't like goose neck, we had a horse trailer converted to a mobile shop. We had to add bracing to the goose neck to stop chucking, the pounding was unbearable.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coxy

the reason for asking is I'm getting a new truck and my camper is 5th wheel and my buddy has a goose neck trailer that I can use would there be any way to have both in the truck as in the goose neck ball between the 5th wheel plates  :-\

repmma

They have plates that pin in to the 5th wheel tracks in the bed.  Goose neck ball in the center of plate.
Thomas 8020, Timberjack 225C, Ford 5030 with Norse 450 winch, stihl saws and 142 acres to manage.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

gspren

Depending on your truck, my 2013 F450 came with factory spots for both 5th wheel and goose neck. It only takes a few minutes to change, or go with B & W like barbender mentioned.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

snowstorm

my 250 has the factory mount. its a nice setup......but it takes a different style 5th hitich

Gary_C

Don't buy one of those gooseneck adapters unless you want this:

Yes I have a very heavy camper but I bought the adapter and had it installed by the dealer and he failed to bolt it to the pin box as the model in his showroom showed. I took him to court and the stupid judge in the dysfunctional court said no because it happened some time after I bought it and there was no warranty remaining. I argued it was a workmanship issue, not a warranty issue but the dealer had instructions from the manufacturer that said the bolts were not needed. They are wrong and I proved it but still got screwed.

You can actually buy an underfloor mounted turnover ball hitch plus a fifth wheel hitch assembly sits in the bed and locks into the turnover ball hole. My son has one and it works good. Not cheap but it sure is a better alternative.

The old adapter is available but not sure I would let anyone use it. Without bolts in the flange it will work just like a crowbar attached to the pin and will rip those pintle pins right out of the pin box.

My setup now is a heavy plate in the bed of the pickup and I have the plate both drilled, tapped, and heilicoil inserted plus rails mounted to the plate for the fifth wheel assembly. Then I have a smaller plate with both a pintle pin and another smaller plate with a gooseneck ball that can be bolted at multiple positions on the large plate. That way I can have a flat bed if I need it by removing the smaller plates and the rails. All can be done from above the bed. Kind of overkill but I needed the smaller plates when I had two trailers and one needed a pintle pin instead of a ball.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

OH logger

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 21, 2017, 10:18:54 PM
They are available but most fifth wheel manufacturers won't recommend the setup as they put a lot of strain on the pin box. Think of it as a lever attached to the hitch. I don't like goose neck, we had a horse trailer converted to a mobile shop. We had to add bracing to the goose neck to stop chucking, the pounding was unbearable.

do goosenecks rattle the driver worse than 5th wheels?? just got my first gooseneck(always had bumper pulls) and the trailer really shakes and pounds the truck and everything in it a lot worse than I was expecting. would a 5th wheel ride smoother?
john

sandsawmill14

you have a problem if its rattling you much i have pulled everything from 35' 3 axles  down to 16' 2 axles  with 1/2 ton pickups to c70 chevys i have never had one rattle me that did have a problem with the neck or the truck one or the other :)  most common problem was truck suspension bottoming out or a loose ball/hitch :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandsawmill14

OH logger are you loaded or empty when it does it  ??? if its a dual tandem the springs maybe heavy enough to rattle your teeth when empty  but i dont see how a 5th wheel would help that any :)
what size trailer and what truck are you pulling it with ???

gspren

Not sure for goose necks but with 5th wheels there are several options for cushioning the ride, either rubber or air pin box and also can get air cushioned hitch.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sandsawmill14

Quote from: gspren on April 22, 2017, 08:53:24 PM
  Not sure for goose necks but with 5th wheels there are several options for cushioning the ride, either rubber or air pin box and also can get air cushioned hitch.

never heard of any of that :o  but you can tell by the c70 the age of the equipment i have always had use :D :D :D

s grinder

Coxy,I recently bought a 16'gooseneck dump trailer and all i did is remove fifth wheel[ Reese] and install the plate and away i go,don't even take it out of my bed,just push it up to my tool box,plenty of room.OH Logger just bought my gooseneck dump a month ago,bought it up in New Hampshire about 125 miles north of me,towed excellent,no different than my fifth wheel.Is it mounted correctly?The ball on my plate is aprox two inches ahead of the center of my rear end,just like my fifth wheel,their are specific measurements when your installing the hardware,if mounted to far to the rear your not putting weight on truck causing a pounding effect.How are you loading the trailer?

coxy

s grinder your saying your plates run the long way of your bed :-\    mine run the short way wheel well to wheel well

sawguy21

I think our problem was weight, the trailer was never intended to pack what we had in it, and the hitch frame was flexing. Management wouldn't listen, the truck and trailer got pounded into the ground. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

s grinder

Coxy my rails run wheel well to wheel well,just remove 4 pins ,take fifth wheel out or to the side,put gooseneck plate in install four pins and your off and running.Got mine from Etrailer call a Reese Goose, rated for 25K more than i going to pull. Etrailer even have a video on You Tube on the installation .

coxy

ok I got it now takes my brain a little to figure out things  :D

OH logger

it obviously shakes it more when empty than loaded. I'm pullin an 18' dual tandem 12 ton log trailer with a 3500 dodge ram with an aluminum flatbed. its kinda hard to explain but the "bumps" feel different with the gooseneck compared to a bumper pull. maybe just harder but they do feel different.  maybe because it goes through the whole truck and not just getting absorbed by the back axle if that makes sense??  don't know I never had one before. does the ball thread in and tighten with a pipe wrench I assume?? if it does I tried to torque it more and I couldn't. the ball was installed with the bed about 9 months ago.
john

Stoneyacrefarm

I've been running a 24' corn pro goose neck trailer with a Chevy 1 ton dually flat bed for 8 years now.
6.0 gas job.
No vibration loaded or empty.
I pull loaded with 10 or 12 wrapped round bales all the time.
You can back this set up in anywhere.
Also transport my skid steer and tractors with no issues.
I like it much better than my bumper pull set up.
You should have no problem running your set up.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

s grinder

OH logger,my ball on my gooseneck plate actually spins,designed to do so from what they say.Maybe grease it so it doesn't bind?

s grinder

Stonetacrefarm,I also like the way the gooseneck handles ,tows smooth a glass no jerking.My truck is long,Super Duty crew cab long bed and i notice i can really jack it in hard backing up with no binding.

Thank You Sponsors!